Pulse does not sync emails properly

Guest Aton

Hi again,

sometimes my pulse just won't sync emails properly. Then I have to tap "synchronize now" in the settings to begin syncing or I push "refresh" in the gmail app.

Does anyone else have this issue that the pulse wont always sync properly?

I use gmail and have a dataplan from Simyo in germany.

Guest kevwright
Hi again,

sometimes my pulse just won't sync emails properly. Then I have to tap "synchronize now" in the settings to begin syncing or I push "refresh" in the gmail app.

Yep, got the same thing here, gmail comes through much faster on my iPhone, and that is not even on push.

Beggining t think this thing is cheap for a reason :-(

Kev

Hi again,

What ROM are you using? Is it the standard shipped ROM or the MoDaCo ROM?

Are you sure the Gmail app is supposed to be push-mail?

I don't experience it to work like that.

/edit: according to Google it is indeed supposed to be Push. I've had it running in the background for half an hour and No push @ my pulse.. :-(

Edited by bas-r

Guest swatcheez

So for the first week of having my pulse, the sync symbol was in the notifications bar, and push email worked as precisely that.

After about a week, the push stopped working, and had to be syncronised like you mentioned.

After 2 weeks, the phone stopped turning on. I sent it back to T-mobile, they reflashed it and now push works again, I'm waiting for it to stop working

No clues to why though

Guest meegaha
So this is a problem on the stock ROM too?

P

Yup, I've got the same problem too. Sometimes (very occasionally) email arrives on its own (i.e. without having to manually click on refresh) but its far from being 'push'.

FYI running stock T-mo Pulse ROM.

Edited by meegaha

Ah, I noticed this yesterday, had an email come through on my gmail account but didn't show up on the phone.... The previous 3 days I was getting email notifications immediately.... Am on stock rom too, not changed any settings to affect that.

Guest helikopter
I had a pulse with Modaco Rom and a new replacement pulse with stock rom. Both reacted the sam way. Sometimes push, sometimes no push email.

i'm on stock rom on the hungarian t-mobile network and push gmail works fine for me. my phone notifies me that i have new email earlier than my opened gmail account in my desktop browser. my contacts and calendar are the same.

i've been using the phone for three weeks now and only 2 or 3 times i noticed that background sync stopped working, usually after it came back from airplane mode. then i unticked the pipe next to "allow background sync" and then ticked again and it started to work immediately.

@helikopter

This shouldn't be happening. After returning from airplane mode syncing should start without changing the settings for syncing. That's very inconvenient.

The problem is, that you don't know when the pulse is syncing properly and when it does not. I'm using the phone for privat and business purposes, so it's very important that syncing works all the time. My old Windows Mobile Phone synced better than the pulse.

Guest helikopter
@helikopter

This shouldn't be happening. After returning from airplane mode syncing should start without changing the settings for syncing. That's very inconvenient.

The problem is, that you don't know when the pulse is syncing properly and when it does not. I'm using the phone for privat and business purposes, so it's very important that syncing works all the time. My old Windows Mobile Phone synced better than the pulse.

as it happened only very few times i'm not sure that the fix comes from the restast of auto-sync. what i'm sure about is that my phone seems to sync flawlessly with my google account. the strange thing is that it seems it's not your individual problem as others are complaining about it, too, but i can't imagine what is causing the issue. the strangest part of the story is that other commenters say that it stopped working after a few weeks of use.

It happened for me when I took it into work, not sure if it was coincidence though, but basically I have really poor reception at work and usually its 0-1 bars... But after I took it home [4-5 bars] the emails didn't come through.

Guest Sengadog

The syncing on my pulse is also hit and miss, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. No one seems to be able to confirm if it is supposed to be 'push' in the true sense or how the pulse knows when to sync ( ie does it get a signal from your gmail account or does it do it on a timed basis ). Not to important for me, but if it is supposed to be 'push' then it should work. I did speak to my tmob shop today and the girl I spoke to had a G1 and she said that sometimes her mail is delayed but no more than about 10 minutes but she transfers email from hotmail to gmail which then pushes to her g1. as I have two pulses in the family on separate google accounts I'm going to do a little speed testing on both phones to see how they compare as it appears that the other handset is working better. If it is, then my handset will be going back to tmob for a swap.

Any idea what Servo Search is? It crashed by itself just now and a message appeared to force it to close, a couple of seconds later I got a notification on the top bar that I had received 3 new email messages....

Also noticed that the software says Beta Version r3037 in the About section and if you go to check for update a Not Found error message appears....

Guest Sengadog
The syncing on my pulse is also hit and miss, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. No one seems to be able to confirm if it is supposed to be 'push' in the true sense or how the pulse knows when to sync ( ie does it get a signal from your gmail account or does it do it on a timed basis ). Not to important for me, but if it is supposed to be 'push' then it should work. I did speak to my tmob shop today and the girl I spoke to had a G1 and she said that sometimes her mail is delayed but no more than about 10 minutes but she transfers email from hotmail to gmail which then pushes to her g1. as I have two pulses in the family on separate google accounts I'm going to do a little speed testing on both phones to see how they compare as it appears that the other handset is working better. If it is, then my handset will be going back to tmob for a swap.

UPDATE: Both phones were the same and were not syncing properly. I followed someone elses advice about pressing clear data in googlemail and google mail storage in the application manager. i also checked that IMAP was switched on in my google mail settings on the web. Following this is seems to sync now.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest starfire
UPDATE: Both phones were the same and were not syncing properly. I followed someone elses advice about pressing clear data in googlemail and google mail storage in the application manager. i also checked that IMAP was switched on in my google mail settings on the web. Following this is seems to sync now.

I have tried the above and still cannot get push email working correctly, it will work initially after clearing the data above but then stops working again.

This is really annoying, one of the key things I want working is push email - I had this working fine on my Windows Mobile phone....

I spoke to T-Mobile tech support, he wasn't aware of any issue and got me to reload the Nov firmware from their site but it made no difference, anyone else having issues?

Guest kristijan_mk
I have tried the above and still cannot get push email working correctly, it will work initially after clearing the data above but then stops working again.

This is really annoying, one of the key things I want working is push email - I had this working fine on my Windows Mobile phone....

I spoke to T-Mobile tech support, he wasn't aware of any issue and got me to reload the Nov firmware from their site but it made no difference, anyone else having issues?

I have the same problem...

Is this problem fixed with the custom ROM?

Guest starfire

Ok, so it seems like for some people out of the box it may work but for quite a few it doesn't.

I'll be getting back to T-Mobile, if they can't sort this out the Pulse is going back, this is a basic feature that should just work IMHO.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is running a vanilla Pulse on T-Mobile UK with push working fine.

Edited by starfire

Ok, so it seems like for some people out of the box it may work but for quite a few it doesn't.

I'll be getting back to T-Mobile, if they can't sort this out the Pulse is going back, this is a basic feature that should just work IMHO.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is running a vanilla Pulse on T-Mobile UK with push working fine.

My pulse is standard (at the moment) and my Google Apps e-mails (i.e. I have my own domain and Google hosts the e-mail) syncs automatically. In the Google Server Settings screen all the boxes are ticked. When I first had the phone and set it up I have a recollection that it wasn't automatically sync'ing until I selected 'Synchronize now' from the Data synchronisation' screen in settings.

Guest helikopter

i had problems with syncing on the stock rom, sometimes it worked fine, sometimes stopped unexpectedly. since i'd jumped to the u8230 rom which uses plain vanilla i never had any problems.

Guest pmw1971

Hmm perhaps its just me but I thought it was pull email and hence the setting in the email application for how often to check for new mail? I have it set to every 10mins and it works fine......or am I confusing it with something else?

PmW

Guest Shuflie
Hmm perhaps its just me but I thought it was pull email and hence the setting in the email application for how often to check for new mail? I have it set to every 10mins and it works fine......or am I confusing it with something else?

PmW

That is for POP3 and IMAP email accounts, if you have a gmail or googlemail account you don't use the email app to access it, you use the gmail app. Google has its own version of push email, contact and calendat sync which is what everyone is talking about. Sync settings for these are found in the data synchronization page in settings.

EDIT: You set gmail to poll your regular email accounts and then push any new mail it finds out to your phone, but you need to set up your other accounts through the gmail website, not the phone app.

Edited by Shuflie