[REF] Cooking info, kitchen, tools, etc ....

Guest rodrigofd

Guest Khuanchai
I didn't understand what you've waited, actually. You could use pdocread to dump ROM in the same format as dskdump does.

Dumped ROM always has single language. No matter which ROM you've flashed - multilanguage or single language.

I didn't see any files from CSC in the dump. Do we have to run anything else after flash?

I didn't see any files from CSC in the dump. Do we have to run anything else after flash?

I guess what he means is that after a rom dump from the phone you get a rom setup with the language that was used on the phone. That's why on the phone configured to English, when you dump the phone rom, you get all the files with 0409 language.

Guest Khuanchai
I guess what he means is that after a rom dump from the phone you get a rom setup with the language that was used on the phone. That's why on the phone configured to English, when you dump the phone rom, you get all the files with 0409 language.

Thanks, understood.

BTW, does anyone know there is a limitation on size of i8000 OS? I means the biggest and smallest sizes it can be.

Thanks, understood.

BTW, does anyone know there is a limitation on size of i8000 OS? I means the biggest and smallest sizes it can be.

Do uou mean imgfs file? You know how we had to set number of sectors to 035500h (the size would be 35500 x 800 in hex), despite the fact the imgfs file didn't have so many sectors. Maybe that's the maximum size.

I tried Pako executor that I got for testing and we don't have to change to 035500 if we are using rom that was dumped from the phone. We can leave the value that osnbtools creates and the phone boots ok.

Edit:

I just tried using Pako ececutor to pack dump folder after removing some files from OEM_Lang_0409 (over 300 files) and it works OK.

Hopefully Pako will release this version soon. You can dump .nb0 file and pack it back. Unfortunately you can't dump to packages... yet.

The only thing to sort out now is to get relocation to work.

Edited by wes58

Maximum size is almost 512mb (main FLASH chip size) - ~2MB (EBoot) - 16mb (CSC) - some space to copy files into different folders through initflashfiles and provxml. You may take 400mb as approximately maximum size. This size should be enough for all kind of cooked ROMs.

My ROM is nearly 300mb.

CSC is not included in the dump. Most likely it is on some other DSKx: disks, or should be accessed specifically through some samsung driver. There are some samsung utilities in the ROM copying content of CSC from special area to the FAT after hard reset. If you really want to know how to dump CSC from flash then you can study these utils. I don't have tools to dump it because i don't use CSC in any way. I only know that there is 16MB of flash reserved for CSC according to its header (even you flash 2mb CSC, it will take 16mb of main FLASH anyway). There is option in OCTANS to erase CSC. It's safe to do, but you will loose nice boot logos (charge animation, initial and download splashes). You may restore logos by flashing any CSC. You may even modify logos by modifying graphics in CSC file (i think, original graphics is good enough to not touch it).

Edited by sorg

another interesting thing not mentioned here is NPS.

Since it may update Omnia2, it should have some flash tool.

Would be good to extract it from there. OCTANS Downloader is good, but would be also good to have alternatives.

Edited by sorg

Maximum size is almost 512mb (main FLASH chip size) - ~2MB (EBoot) - 16mb (CSC) - some space to copy files into different folders through initflashfiles and provxml. You may take 400mb as approximately maximum size. This size should be enough for all kind of cooked ROMs.

My ROM is nearly 300mb.

CSC is not included in the dump. Most likely it is on some other DSKx: disks, or should be accessed specifically through some samsung driver. There are some samsung utilities in the ROM copying content of CSC from special area to the FAT after hard reset. If you really want to know how to dump CSC from flash then you can study these utils. I don't have tools to dump it because i don't use CSC in any way. I only know that there is 16MB of flash reserved for CSC according to its header (even you flash 2mb CSC, it will take 16mb of main FLASH anyway). There is option in OCTANS to erase CSC. It's safe to do, but you will loose nice boot logos (charge animation, initial and download splashes). You may restore logos by flashing any CSC. You may even modify logos by modifying graphics in CSC file (i think, original graphics is good enough to not touch it).

So I guess the maximum number of sectors in imgfs partition of original rom may be maximum size 35500h x 800h = 1AA8 0000h, or 447,217,664 decimal.

Guest rodrigofd

Would be good to extract it from there. OCTANS Downloader is good, but would be also good to have alternatives.

Sorg, actually it wouldn't hurt if you can give us some hint regarding rellocation... why do you comment on anything else but not exactly the thing that holds up advancing further? I think this kind of thing doesn't have to do on your already well-known posture... my point is not sounding aggresive but i just can't understand it putting it this way...

Rodrigo, 

What version of WMReloc have you got? I found on some chinese forum a command line like this: 

WMReloc -g[dir] -x[xip.bin] -m[module] -s0[slot0] -s1[slot1] -l[logfile].

This is supposed to be for version 1.04. The one I have doesn't have those options (-x, -m ...). I can't find anywhere version 1.04.

Edit:

I just found version 1.04 (if you didn't have it). Now to work out what those options do.

WMReloc1.04.zip

Edited by wes58

Guest Khuanchai

My ROM is nearly 300mb.

Thanks, sorg. How about the smallest size? I remember with old HTC phone, there was a lower limit we cannot reduce the OS size beyond that.

Guest rodrigofd
Rodrigo,

What version of WMReloc have you got? I found on some chinese forum a command line like this:

WMReloc -g[dir] -x[xip.bin] -m[module] -s0[slot0] -s1[slot1] -l[logfile].

This is supposed to be for version 1.04. The one I have doesn't have those options (-x, -m ...). I can't find anywhere version 1.04.

Edit:

I just found version 1.04 (if you didn't have it). Now to work out what those options do.

I was looking for this too!!!! thx... this might be the piece we were missing... this way we just use -xxip.bin modifier, and we don't need to decompress & compress XIP partition, but WMRELOC respects the xip module memory allocations... :D

BTw, Khuanchai, ironic you just mentioned that, i am just having issues with repackaging an ultra-lite rom... IMGFS.BIN got 230 MB and osnbtool refuses to pack it ... first time i got into this issue... very strange indeed

PD. I already built a pretty simple but effective kitchen that by one command, turns NB0 into tidy package-structure, and another command to repack a package structure (OEM/SYS/ROM) into a final NB0, taking care of all intermediate steps. Pako tool isnt even needed, just standard .exe tool.

I've been working for 4 hours now, stripping off OEMApps and OEM_Lang_0409 from IK5 Secany ROM, into smaller packages (examples: Samsung phone canvas, samsung Xt9, Cube, Camera, Touch Calendar, Smart Search, etc....) ....

If i make this wmreloc 1.04 to work properly, i'll release the kitchen

EDIT: My mistake regarding small 230MB IMGFS.BIN not being packed.... i confirm that a 230 IMGFS.BIN image can be successfully flashed.

Edited by rodrigofd

Guest Khuanchai
I was looking for this too!!!! thx... this might be the piece we were missing... this way we just use -xxip.bin modifier, and we don't need to decompress & compress XIP partition, but WMRELOC respects the xip module memory allocations... :D

BTw, Khuanchai, ironic you just mentioned that, i am just having issues with repackaging an ultra-lite rom... IMGFS.BIN got 230 MB and osnbtool refuses to pack it ... first time i got into this issue... very strange indeed

PD. I already built a pretty simple but effective kitchen that by one command, turns NB0 into tidy package-structure, and another command to repack a package structure (OEM/SYS/ROM) into a final NB0, taking care of all intermediate steps. Pako tool isnt even needed, just standard .exe tool.

I've been working for 4 hours now, stripping off OEMApps and OEM_Lang_0409 from IK5 Secany ROM, into smaller packages (examples: Samsung phone canvas, samsung Xt9, Cube, Camera, Touch Calendar, Smart Search, etc....) ....

EDIT: My mistake regarding small 230MB IMGFS.BIN not being packed.... i confirm that a 230 IMGFS.BIN image can be successfully flashed.

Are you working with the single/multi language ROM?

Could you explain the parameters for new WMReloc?

Edited by Khuanchai

I just tried this version with some files removed from dump folder and after relocation the phone works fine... so far.

Guest rodrigofd
I just tried this version with some files removed from dump folder and after relocation the phone works fine... so far.

Not tried yet, but i assume it suffices with params -gdump, -llog.txt (and optionally -xxip.bin) ... yes? wes, which command line you used ?

Khuanchai... i am always working with single-language rom... i gave up multi-language maybe forever... too complex and unneccesary..

I assume you already figured it out, but rom_dump utility posted by SORG some posts earlier in this thread, creates a rom_dump.bin in storage card, which you can use as the 'PDA.OS.NB' file to unpack and cook your english-only rom , from your preferred multi-language-rom. Just need to add the proper 0x100 header, which i suppose you know too.

I am working based on english IK5 Secany ROM from last week, it seems its the most stable version so far...

EDIT:. very tempted to test it for a WM 6.5.3 build!!! but now i am trying out a Manila 2.5.. lets see

Edited by rodrigofd

Not tried yet, but i assume it suffices with params -gdump, -llog.txt (and optionally -xxip.bin) ... yes? wes, which command line you used ?

Khuanchai... i am always working with single-language rom... i gave up multi-language maybe forever... too complex and unneccesary..

I assume you already figured it out, but rom_dump utility posted by SORG some posts earlier in this thread, creates a rom_dump.bin in storage card, which you can use as the 'PDA.OS.NB' file to unpack and cook your english-only rom , from your preferred multi-language-rom. Just need to add the proper 0x100 header, which i suppose you know too.

I am working based on english IK5 Secany ROM from last week, it seems its the most stable version so far...

EDIT:. very tempted to test it for a WM 6.5.3 build!!! but now i am trying out a Manila 2.5.. lets see

Since I haven't modified xip I only used wmreloc -gdump -lwmreloc.log

And I am using IK5 but dumped from the phone without language packs

Edited by wes58

Guest Khuanchai

Yes, I got sorg's utility to dump single-language phone.

Vow! That seems to be very close to succeed the i8000 ROM cooking. Thanks to everyone.

Guest rodrigofd
Yes, I got sorg's utility to dump single-language phone.

Vow! That seems to be very close to succeed the i8000 ROM cooking. Thanks to everyone.

Updates...

1) Made a clean rom as much 'ultra-lite' as i could.. Succeeded.. a fast and lightweight rom, i removed things like : samsung keypad+XT9, samsung dialer, samsung contacts/calendar/clock/smartseach, facebook&youtube apps, mp3s, jpgs, CHome Titanium samsung customizations (like renaming CPRs to Splugins on each boot) , basically almost every samsung customization.

about 175 mb rom free, ~80 MB ram free...

2) Starting to cook my personal ROM and so far everything works PERFECT:

HTC LEO phone canvas

HTC LEO EZINPUT 2.1 (with eT9)

HTC LEO Comm Manager + Wifi Internet Sharing

Updates...

1) Made a clean rom as much 'ultra-lite' as i could.. Succeeded.. a fast and lightweight rom, i removed things like : samsung keypad+XT9, samsung dialer, samsung contacts/calendar/clock/smartseach, facebook&youtube apps, mp3s, jpgs, CHome Titanium samsung customizations (like renaming CPRs to Splugins on each boot) , basically almost every samsung customization.

HTC LEO phone canvas

I guess we have learnt a lesson... search for proper tools and you will save time.

Guest monyozt

NPS required broadband internet connection.. about 410MB file need to be downloaded :D

Guest monyozt
Updates...

HTC LEO phone canvas

so you mean your ultra lite ROM doesn't have titanium inside? could you share to us?

Guest emperorben
Updates...

HTC LEO phone canvas

Yeah! That's wonderful news. Awaitiing your clean rom and goodies from other ROM cookers.

Guest tacchan23

@Khuanchai:

I've been using your custom ROM these past few days and everything seems to be fine.

I just noticed one small bug: when I assign the <Rotate Screen> command to a hardware botton trough the WinMo Settings it works fine untill Soft Reset; after reset, no command is assigned to the hardware key anymore and I have to set it up again.

Anybody else has this problem? maybe I did something wrong installing something (even if I pretty much install always the same apps)

Guest Khuanchai
@Khuanchai:

I've been using your custom ROM these past few days and everything seems to be fine.

I just noticed one small bug: when I assign the <Rotate Screen> command to a hardware botton trough the WinMo Settings it works fine untill Soft Reset; after reset, no command is assigned to the hardware key anymore and I have to set it up again.

Anybody else has this problem? maybe I did something wrong installing something (even if I pretty much install always the same apps)

I have no such problem. Anyway, we will have better ROMs real soon especially from rodrigofd and wes. I'll be leaving abroad for a week but will try to catch up.