T Mobile UK G2/Hero HSDPA

Guest Higgsy

Just wondered if anyone has been experienceing issues with there G2/Hero not locking onto HSDPA signal. My issue is that I can't seem to get a a lock on HSDPA - the phone seems to switch to it for a second and goes back to 3G. I know for a fact there is HSDPA where I am as If I put my SIM in my Nokia E71 I get 3.5G comes up.

There seems to be much talk of this issue on various forums including the T mobile forums, but no definitive answer as to whats causing this or a resolution, also no word officially from T mobile

I called T-mobile and eventually got through the barriers to Tech Support and the guy on there advised he spotted what the isssue was and it was that my account was not configured correctly and he had made an ammendment which should let me access HSDPA and all should be ok. However still getting the same symptoms.

Problem is when the phone is constantly switching between 3g and H it seems to drop connection altogether, which could be cuasing issues I'm having with a delay in web browsing.

If anyone has had this problem and found a resolution - Please let me know. I will be putting another call into tmobile tech support later if I get chance to discuss further with them.

Guest jim.mason
Just wondered if anyone has been experienceing issues with there G2/Hero not locking onto HSDPA signal. My issue is that I can't seem to get a a lock on HSDPA - the phone seems to switch to it for a second and goes back to 3G. I know for a fact there is HSDPA where I am as If I put my SIM in my Nokia E71 I get 3.5G comes up.

There seems to be much talk of this issue on various forums including the T mobile forums, but no definitive answer as to whats causing this or a resolution, also no word officially from T mobile

I called T-mobile and eventually got through the barriers to Tech Support and the guy on there advised he spotted what the isssue was and it was that my account was not configured correctly and he had made an ammendment which should let me access HSDPA and all should be ok. However still getting the same symptoms.

Problem is when the phone is constantly switching between 3g and H it seems to drop connection altogether, which could be cuasing issues I'm having with a delay in web browsing.

If anyone has had this problem and found a resolution - Please let me know. I will be putting another call into tmobile tech support later if I get chance to discuss further with them.

I've had the same problem since earlier in the week when the east of england had problems with T mobile network. Although I didn't have aqny problems with no signal like others did, I haven't had the 'H' up on the status bar since then.

I'll be contacting T mobile tomorrow about my bill and will ask them if theres a problem

Guest pillock

Mine does seem quite happy to swap between the two, however if that's improving battery life (there's no reason for it to be sat on HSDPA if I'm not downloading, for updating weather and syncing email 3G is more than enough) then I'm not complaining. If I begin a download, then it seems to stick to HSDPA - for example if I'm out and about and want to sync a new Spotify album up, it locks onto the faster speed fine. When it's otherwise idle it can look a bit off moving between 3G and H every so often but it's not causing any problems.

If you begin a download does it still only stay on H for a moment? Have you tried the speedtest app?

Yeah tried speedtest never get anything more than 360kbps always maxes out at that where I am in Birmingham City Centre was walking around the city centre and never got a lock on HSDPA. Another long call to T Mob Tech Support today and again the agent advised me again that the account wasn't provisioned correctly - after 20 mins of him trying to get it sorted, he came back and said shoudl be ok now - I still aint getting a lock on the H. Its weird it seem to send a packet up the uplink while on H, and that seems to kick it back to 3g

Guest soulehs

ive noticed when my mobile network is idle its on 3g but when its active with data it switches to H.

try locking your phone to 3g with anycut in areas where it rolls back needlessly.

HOW TO:

1.Download ANYCUT from the android market.

2.Open it, and Click New Short Cut

3.Click Activity

4.Click Phone Info

5.Open the Created shortcut

6.Scroll down and choose "WCDMA Only"

from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=488631

to switch back change it to gsm only then to wcdma preferred.

Edited by soulehs

ive noticed when my mobile network is idle its on 3g but when its active with data it switches to H.

try locking your phone to 3g with anycut in areas where it rolls back needlessly.

HOW TO:

1.Download ANYCUT from the android market.

2.Open it, and Click New Short Cut

3.Click Activity

4.Click Phone Info

5.Open the Created shortcut

6.Scroll down and choose "WCDMA Only"

from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=488631

to switch back change it to gsm only then to wcdma preferred.

cheers Soulehs

I decided to go for a full wipe and reload of MCR 2.9 and Radio. I was starting to think this was now not network related especially the fact that the guy at t mobile had spent best part of 30 mins sorting my account a re provisioning everything (Props to him he was spot on). Anyway after the wipe/reload straight away I was locking onto HSDPA . Used the anycut app as advised and that is a great tool I know get 1-2 bars or HSDPA at home where the phone would only give me GSM. Also Download speed now averaging 2.3Mbps. Whoo whoo the phone is living up to its full capibility.

I really dont know why there cant be a setting for selecting WCDMA only in the phone settings!

Guest Chivalryy

im getting a differnt problam i hope someone can help clear up.. :)

Also on T mobile..(UK)  but ever since i got my hero it has suffered with constant loss of connection to the internet..  at random times....

I can be sat on my lunch.. with 3 or 4 bars signal on HSDPA and suddenly for no reason after i have briowsed 3 or 4 pages.. i will select another and the loading bar with get around 1/10th  of the way across and thats it,,, Internet has gone..   i either have to go into  options and turn off/on again the mobile internet.. or wait 5 - 10 mins and it magically springs back into life again..    its driving me nuts and i have no idea whats causing it ;0(  sometimes is after 4 pages... other times i can get up to 15 or so...    just random..  help?

Only until i flashed the latest radio (63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22 from this site) i did never see the 3G symbol, always it was H

Now i see it lots of times, not sure if there is effect on the speed...

Guest Caffeine Dependent

Chivallry

I'm on T-Mob UK and I get this as well. Seems especially problematic when out and about (i.e. walking / bus / tube), though it can complain there's no network access even when I'm just indoors at home, and there the signal is 4-5 bars generally. I've had issues with different versions of the rom (both MCR and stock) and radio firmware, and have wiped in-between before.

If you get this resolved with T-Mob please share!

Edited by Caffeine Dependent

Only until i flashed the latest radio (63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22 from this site) i did never see the 3G symbol, always it was H

Now i see it lots of times, not sure if there is effect on the speed...

I'm the same. Before I moved to the latest radio, I had never even seen the 3G symbol, but now I see it more than the 'H'. It's a shame as my GPRS signal seems to have improved since using the update.

I'm going to try some of the earlier radio updates and see if I notice any difference.

Guest badass1
I'm the same. Before I moved to the latest radio, I had never even seen the 3G symbol, but now I see it more than the 'H'. It's a shame as my GPRS signal seems to have improved since using the update.

I'm going to try some of the earlier radio updates and see if I notice any difference.

Same here, I never did see the '3G' symbol until I upgraded to the latest Radio, (the IU one), now it keeps coming up. I tried moving back to the previous radio but the problem has not gone.

It seems as if the IU update has changed something that the previous radio updates cannot/doesn't change.

Any ideas Paul?

Regards.

Same here, I never did see the '3G' symbol until I upgraded to the latest Radio, (the IU one), now it keeps coming up. I tried moving back to the previous radio but the problem has not gone.

It seems as if the IU update has changed something that the previous radio updates cannot/doesn't change.

Any ideas Paul?

Regards.

Actually, the fact that moving to an earlier version doesn't resolve it suggests to me that this is a T-Mobile issue and not a radio update problem after all, particularly in light of the comment about the same problem occuring on an HD2.

Agree with this. Myself and a friend have a HTC Hero and T-mobile G2. Both have started experiencing this problem in the last week or so. We are actually on different radio versions. Spoke extensively to T-mobile tech support, explained I previously had a solid H connection now switches constantly between 3g and H. He said this is normal, which may be the case but why have things changed in the last week or so ?

Actually, the fact that moving to an earlier version doesn't resolve it suggests to me that this is a T-Mobile issue and not a radio update problem after all, particularly in light of the comment about the same problem occuring on an HD2.

Have been experiencing the same issue. Based in Worcester and for the last few weeks have been getting 3G (something id never seen till this point!) instead of a solid HSDPA. Tried a few different RADIOS and getting the same result.

There is definitely an issue with T-Mobiles network!

Quite annoying!

-Lew

hi - again i had this problem with both my hero and HD2. i saw that someone posted to set teh phone to wcdma only - i did this on my hd2 and although it still goes between 3g and H the internet does seem much faster.

t mo also told me that its normal now and we should only get the H symbol when info is transfering (using a page etc) and the rest of teh time it should say 3G. but to be honest they don't seem to know their ass from elbow!!

anyways try the wcdma setting definitley sped things up on my side although i don't have the H locked.

Just to chime in with what others have been suggesting, it looks to be a T-Mobile network issue to me. I've had the stock phone for a few months now and noticed the 3G - HSDPA switching happening the last few weeks (in Birmingham and Bristol areas).

I just took the plunge and custom ROM'd my G2 from the stock T-Mobile UK build with standard radio (1.76.110.6 & 63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25) to Paul's rooted HTC Generic 2.73.405.38 and the latest radio 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22, and whilst my signal has definitely improved I can still see this switching.

Just to chime in with what others have been suggesting, it looks to be a T-Mobile network issue to me. I've had the stock phone for a few months now and noticed the 3G - HSDPA switching happening the last few weeks (in Birmingham and Bristol areas).

I just took the plunge and custom ROM'd my G2 from the stock T-Mobile UK build with standard radio (1.76.110.6 & 63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25) to Paul's rooted HTC Generic 2.73.405.38 and the latest radio 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22, and whilst my signal has definitely improved I can still see this switching.

yeah mine is now really bag again, i am in birmingham so interesting to read the above although had same issues in london a few day ago.

Guest The_IMF

I'm on T-Mobile UK in London and ever since I've had my Hero; it's always on 3G. Only when I download it switches to H...

I thought this was normal????

It is annoying when sometimes I'm trying to download something and it doesn't switch from 3G to H and when it displays 3G; nothing can be downloaded!

i.e. if I go to the Market; the H pops up and lets me browse the market. If the H doesn't pop up and it stays on 3G; I get some sort of communication error message!

Guest bluecat69

Yeah i get the same. I'll be using the internet happily on mine and then all of a sudden it will freeze up with an up arrow next to the 3G, it will stay like that for a minute or so before starting to work again. Give it a few minutes of surfing and then it does it again, it keeps cycling it. I've got really good reception and my GF is happily surfing away with a G1 on Tmobile next to me with no problems the whole time.

Something is seriously up with this phone. Does that whole thing work as earlier mentioned with locking it onto 3G. Can someone confirm this will solve it. I don't really want the hassle of sending it in for 'repair' as A) i don't think T mob can fix it themselves, and :D i don't want the hassle of uploading the stock Rom on again to send it in, which i suspect they'll upgrade it to the new one when the send it back again (which will bugger up rooting it again).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Caffeine Dependent

Anyone made any progress on this issue yet with T-Mob?

This is particularly bad when I'm out and about - the phone doesn't properly handle switching between different cell sites and doesn't seem to re-connect to the data network, so I end up just giving up. Really annoying for Spotify!

Anyone made any progress on this issue yet with T-Mob?

This is particularly bad when I'm out and about - the phone doesn't properly handle switching between different cell sites and doesn't seem to re-connect to the data network, so I end up just giving up. Really annoying for Spotify!

I have come to some conculsions.

basically i have found if I am indoors at work (in Birmingham City Centre) I can't get a lock on HSDPA signal even when downloading this causes connection issues and actually seems to make the response time of say web browsing slower than GPRS because the phone can't decide whether to lovck onto HSDPA or 3G and the connection seems to time out. 3g signal is poor at home so I dont even bother I just switch to GPRS.

If I'm out and about ie in the open I find that I do get a HSDPA lock when downloading and have had 4.5mb/s download speed.

I too have resigned to the fact it is what is is and am working round it.

On reading about HSDPA, it does seem it is seriously affected by things like tall buildings, trees, and just general bricks and mortar ie being indoors, and my very unscientific tests do seem to link in with that!

Guest mjcook1984

ive also had this problem were it wont got to hsdpa from 3g and its just stuck with 3g and the uploading arrow till it locks on again.

But for the last day ive had no problems at all

1. Either t-mobile has finally pulled its thumb from its a*** and sorted it.

2. ( Could be a complete fluke) Ive been playing with taskiller as i had a feeling a program i was killing was causing this problem i dnt know what program. but ive got a list of programs not to kill on my ignore list and the problem seems to have gone unless point 1 above has happened.

first phone info

rooted g2

modaco 3.0 core with wavesecure

and radio rom 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29

clear your ignorelist

turn off phone

boot back up

dnt kill any apps untill u have ignored the following apps in the list

-wavesecure

-clock

-google partner setup

-touch input

-google mail

-HTCsense

-mail

-browser

-settings

-java

-pc synchronization

-calender

this might be complete rubbish and a fluke that mine now works with out problems but as ive said above i had the HSDPA problem and since its gone if anyone else wants to have a try a give some feed back if it works for them.

also do a soft reset (if thats wat its called) after doing the ignore list the one were you remove the battery and sim card for 30 sec then put back togeter then boot back up and let me know how it goes

Guest munkimatt

Could they potentially be having issues because the Orange takeover? I remember them sayin they would be switching masts off/over etc.

EDIT

For what it's worth, and really just to annoy you lot with problems, I work out in the middle of nowhere and in the last 2 weeks I've moved from a barely there 2G signal to a rock solid 3.5G connection ;)

Edited by munkimatt