T Mobile UK G2/Hero HSDPA

Guest Higgsy

Guest bluecat69

I've been on the T-mobile Forums trying to narrow down what the issue can actually be. So far we've narrowed it down to not ROm specific i.e. both official and Modcao roms have the issue, APN settings the same. However we need to knwow whether it's just the branded Tmobile G2 which has the problem or if it is with Orange and HTC HERO's also!!!

So can anyone with a non t mobile branded Hero tell me if they have the same problem?

Guest jonathanmusto
I've been on the T-mobile Forums trying to narrow down what the issue can actually be. So far we've narrowed it down to not ROm specific i.e. both official and Modcao roms have the issue, APN settings the same. However we need to knwow whether it's just the branded Tmobile G2 which has the problem or if it is with Orange and HTC HERO's also!!!

So can anyone with a non t mobile branded Hero tell me if they have the same problem?

I have a White Unlocked HTC Hero on T-Mobile (UK). I work in Leeds which usually has a good HSDPA connection but over the last week my mobile internet is totally intermittent... I'm not sure if its the new ROM (MCR3.0) + Radio, or if its just T-Mobile.. I'm sure it was fine for a few days after installing the new rom which leads me to blame T-Mob. Plus they sent me a text message saying they were making some "improvements" to the network... hmm....

Guest jonathanmusto
I have a White Unlocked HTC Hero on T-Mobile (UK). I work in Leeds which usually has a good HSDPA connection but over the last week my mobile internet is totally intermittent... I'm not sure if its the new ROM (MCR3.0) + Radio, or if its just T-Mobile.. I'm sure it was fine for a few days after installing the new rom which leads me to blame T-Mob. Plus they sent me a text message saying they were making some "improvements" to the network... hmm....

Interesting.... I've just been into the APN settings on the phone and noticed 2 entries for 'T-Mobile Internet'. When I activate the second one, my mobile internet works fine!! Looking at the APN settings for each, the first one (which was duff) had loads of hard coded stuff:

username: t-mobile

password: ** ('tm' i think)

MMSC: http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002/

MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135

MMS Port: 8080

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 234

MNC: 30

APN Type: *

The second one, which works fine, has everything as <not set> apart from MMS Protocol, MCC and MNC... which are the same as above.

I quess the second one is forcing the phone to discover the rest automatically?? Either way, IT WORKS!

I hope this helps someone.

J

Guest rob_turner_uk

No way, I have never had "h" in my house before. Just changed the settings as the post above and there it was. I had 3 different internet settings.

No way, I have never had "h" in my house before. Just changed the settings as the post above and there it was. I had 3 different internet settings.

So, what settings did you use in the end?

Unless I've read the post above incorrectly... when I just put in the MCC and what not, it says APN cannot be empty - what did you put for that?

So, what settings did you use in the end?

Unless I've read the post above incorrectly... when I just put in the MCC and what not, it says APN cannot be empty - what did you put for that?

I've been having this problem for a while, but as of today it appears to be solved. No changes at my end other than manually installing wave secure into system rom. As I think that is irrelevant, I presume T-Mobile have finally got their act together, so power to them! A nice Xmas present for us, methinks.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me? I'm in south of Glasgow, by the way. Wondering if this is location based or if it's a whole network Issue that has been resolved.

Edit: to address the question, I'm using the 'mostly empty' pan that was last in the list for me.

Edited by pulser

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bluecat69

OK, finally T Mobile UK have admitted that this is an issue. They want everyone with this problem to record the time and date of five times that this happens and contact the customer service help desk with the information.

Please everyone do this, this highlights the issue and maybe can get them to pull there finger out and do something about it instead of just blaming a bad reception as thats what they normally wave it off as.

Cheers

OK, finally T Mobile UK have admitted that this is an issue. They want everyone with this problem to record the time and date of five times that this happens and contact the customer service help desk with the information.

Please everyone do this, this highlights the issue and maybe can get them to pull there finger out and do something about it instead of just blaming a bad reception as thats what they normally wave it off as.

Cheers

Oh damn. Wish I'd noted down some of the times it happened to me. I've not had the issue for about a month though. If I go through my itemised data usage from last month though (I think I've still got the spreadsheet ;) ), do you think that would help, or is it only recent cases they are interested in?

Either way, I hope you can get this resolved, as it was an infuriating problem, and I was actually at the point of calling support myself, and trying to see how high up I could get the issue elevated (I've found before that you can sometimes actually get to a higher level of CS at networks by phoning up sales as a new/existing customer, and asking them to put you through to technical department. It depends on the person, and if they 'believe' you or just put you to bottom tier CS). It's worth a shot though for anyone willing to try it. You never know. You might even get to speak to someone who actually understands the issue, and that it's not a signal strength issue.

As an aside, do we know what radios are affected. I think it was fixed for me at some point shortly after flashing the very latest radio (I think it's JU, but it's the latest JU if you know what I mean :))

Hope to hear something positive about this soon B)

• 2 weeks later...

An update from me is now i only get a H when the data connection is active. but it isn't continuously batting between the H and 3G like it was before - it holds the H and also the speed. I have no idea if T mobile did something or if it is something to do with the new roms and radios i have installed. I'm running most current mcr rom/radio.

An update from me is now i only get a H when the data connection is active. but it isn't continuously batting between the H and 3G like it was before - it holds the H and also the speed. I have no idea if T mobile did something or if it is something to do with the new roms and radios i have installed. I'm running most current mcr rom/radio.

I'm still getting probs... have phoned Tech Support today and will be doing the 5 examples thing.

Anyone else willing to help?

Was it customer support or tech support you spoke to?

I had a technical query and CS was absolutely hopeless. I actually ended up emailling Customer Relations, being as the suggestions from the CS Rep were ridiculous, and I reckon 99.9% of the users on this forum were more knowledgable than him. I was querying whether or not there is a 'cap' on network speeds at 1.9mbps, but the rep couldn't answer the question but insisted I check I wasn't on 2G only mode.

And obviously I wasn't since GPRS gets you 128kbps on a good day, and I was getting about 15 times that speed. Well... that really annoyed me. All I wanted was to be put onto someone that speaks 'mobile network terminology' and it would take 10 seconds to resolve. But no, that would be too simple, so you seem to have to speak to a 'script-monkey' who took the best part of 5 minutes to look up the instructions on how to check if I was on 2G only mode (I told him I wasn't and that I knew how to check that, and more, yet they insisted on wasting my time by treating me as a noob...)

Sorry for slightly hijacking this with a little bit of a rant, but I did have this issue, and I managed to cure it using the 'emptier' APN that didn't have so many MMS settings etc (coupled with a bit of luck, as I think it was something network-related).

So, treat this as a little 'bump' for your post. I hope you can get five instances to use for this, as I would be interested to see the resolution.

Cheers

Guest bluecat69

I had a call from Tmobile yesterday with an update on this. They've identified that its a fault with the actual network software as it impacts other handsets and not just the Hero. They're going to try and fix it but it will take a few weeks. I'm going to receive another call with an update around that time.

I hope that this helps people knowing that they are actually looking into the issue. Off course it could have been just a fob off *shrugs*

Guest martyn028
Just wondered if anyone has been experienceing issues with there G2/Hero not locking onto HSDPA signal. My issue is that I can't seem to get a a lock on HSDPA - the phone seems to switch to it for a second and goes back to 3G. I know for a fact there is HSDPA where I am as If I put my SIM in my Nokia E71 I get 3.5G comes up.

There seems to be much talk of this issue on various forums including the T mobile forums, but no definitive answer as to whats causing this or a resolution, also no word officially from T mobile

I called T-mobile and eventually got through the barriers to Tech Support and the guy on there advised he spotted what the isssue was and it was that my account was not configured correctly and he had made an ammendment which should let me access HSDPA and all should be ok. However still getting the same symptoms.

Problem is when the phone is constantly switching between 3g and H it seems to drop connection altogether, which could be cuasing issues I'm having with a delay in web browsing.

If anyone has had this problem and found a resolution - Please let me know. I will be putting another call into tmobile tech support later if I get chance to discuss further with them.

Hi Im a former Technical data multimedia support coordinator for T-mobile and Orange.

While working for T-Mobile i used to see this signal issues all the time , numerous reports from customers saying signal switches from HSDPA to 2G all the time.

Some reporting HSDPA showing on handset/dongle but no traffic.

There was no explanation of this activity within company but network congestion ...... but in my opinion there is a switching issue with there network i downloaded a program called antennas and this showed my handset when stationary jumping from a 3G cell to a 2.5G cell.

There was no need for the random switching as i had very high signal on HSDPA and plenty of range to local BTS site (3G cell).

To Offer a Temp Fix by Locking handset to UMTS/3G only and then reboot.. Best to set this via Test Mode (I believe there is a post somewhere on forum with details)

anyways my theory is clearly there is switching issues with T-mobile so Locking handset to 3G will cause switching to remain only with 3G cell sites . you may get a random drop in traffic occasionally when traveling around but services stability should be better.

Hope this info helps

Martyn

EDIT: I have also fixed this issue for a few customers by replacing Sim card as i noticed Some users's Sim profiles to be too old for device type. If you sill experiencing issues after locking to 3G/Umts check your sim profile (T-mobile Will assist and check this for you )

Edited by martyn028

Hi Im a former Technical data multimedia support coordinator for T-mobile and Orange.

While working for T-Mobile i used to see this signal issues all the time , numerous reports from customers saying signal switches from HSDPA to 2G all the time.

Some reporting HSDPA showing on handset/dongle but no traffic.

There was no explanation of this activity within company but network congestion ...... but in my opinion there is a switching issue with there network i downloaded a program called antennas and this showed my handset when stationary jumping from a 3G cell to a 2.5G cell.

There was no need for the random switching as i had very high signal on HSDPA and plenty of range to local BTS site (3G cell).

To Offer a Temp Fix by Locking handset to UMTS/3G only and then reboot.. Best to set this via Test Mode (I believe there is a post somewhere on forum with details)

anyways my theory is clearly there is switching issues with T-mobile so Locking handset to 3G will cause switching to remain only with 3G cell sites . you may get a random drop in traffic occasionally when traveling around but services stability should be better.

Hope this info helps

Martyn

EDIT: I have also fixed this issue for a few customers by replacing Sim card as i noticed Some users's Sim profiles to be too old for device type. If you sill experiencing issues after locking to 3G/Umts check your sim profile (T-mobile Will assist and check this for you )

Interesting info. Thanks :)

By any chance do you know if T-Mobile 'caps' HSDPA at about 1.9mbps. I've sat right next to their mast in the dead of night (when there would be little if any usage) and still got 1.9mbps. Yet I can also get this any time of day in a busy suburban area... And speedtest's needle throttles straight upto 1.9, then bounces off it constantly (somewhat like a car with a speed limiter). It feels I should get faster, but something is limiting it B)

Do you know if this is the case (I'm on MCR3.1 and have tried various ROMs to no avail, and even looked at the settings for the number of up and down streams, but I still can't get this value above 1.9mbps)? It's not signal strength or local cell contention (AFAIK), and I doubt it's phone hardware limitations. Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I spoke to CS and they told me the max. in theory my area supports is 4.5mbps, so the capacity seems to be there... But that same person asked me to check I had 'use only 2G' switched off (silly when I'm getting speeds of 12x that of GPRS...)

Cheers

Edited by pulser

Guest martyn028
Interesting info. Thanks :)

By any chance do you know if T-Mobile 'caps' HSDPA at about 1.9mbps. I've sat right next to their mast in the dead of night (when there would be little if any usage) and still got 1.9mbps. Yet I can also get this any time of day in a busy suburban area... And speedtest's needle throttles straight upto 1.9, then bounces off it constantly (somewhat like a car with a speed limiter). It feels I should get faster, but something is limiting it B)

Do you know if this is the case (I'm on MCR3.1 and have tried various ROMs to no avail, and even looked at the settings for the number of up and down streams, but I still can't get this value above 1.9mbps)? It's not signal strength or local cell contention (AFAIK), and I doubt it's phone hardware limitations. Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I spoke to CS and they told me the max. in theory my area supports is 4.5mbps, so the capacity seems to be there... But that same person asked me to check I had 'use only 2G' switched off (silly when I'm getting speeds of 12x that of GPRS...)

Cheers

they didn't cap not while i was working there,

specs for HTC Hero as seen below can handle 7mbps downstream.... so could be a restriction customized with that particular Cell site or that particular cell site may not be upgraded to cope with more than 1.8.. When i was working there they estimated all 3G Cells would be 7.3mbps capable by end of 2010.....~Im currently using 3 and my best speedtest yet has been just under 6mbps. awesome really when ya think about compairing to old 56k dial up speeds lol

Network HSPA/WCDMA:

900/2100 MHz

Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

850/900/1800/1900 MHz

(Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)

they didn't cap not while i was working there,

specs for HTC Hero as seen below can handle 7mbps downstream.... so could be a restriction customized with that particular Cell site or that particular cell site may not be upgraded to cope with more than 1.8.. When i was working there they estimated all 3G Cells would be 7.3mbps capable by end of 2010.....~Im currently using 3 and my best speedtest yet has been just under 6mbps. awesome really when ya think about compairing to old 56k dial up speeds lol

Network HSPA/WCDMA:

900/2100 MHz

Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

850/900/1800/1900 MHz

(Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)

Thanks for the info. I've got a support 'ticket' going with customer relations (couldn't get anywhere with CS- nobody could understand the problem, as they all thought I was 'stuck on 2G only' B)), so I'll see what they say. I didn't think they capped it, but thought I'd just check.

AFAIK, the cell sites round me are capable of 7.2, as they were installed recently, and CS seemed to think they had been upgraded.

Can't be sure though, but thanks for the info :)

Guest martyn028
Thanks for the info. I've got a support 'ticket' going with customer relations (couldn't get anywhere with CS- nobody could understand the problem, as they all thought I was 'stuck on 2G only' :D), so I'll see what they say. I didn't think they capped it, but thought I'd just check.

AFAIK, the cell sites round me are capable of 7.2, as they were installed recently, and CS seemed to think they had been upgraded.

Can't be sure though, but thanks for the info B)

your more than welcome .. let us know the outcome of the ticket

FYI if they have opened a ticket to this then that tells me there have been loads of reports re this and they are collating examples for field engineers to carry out testing on the network etc :) if that wasn't the case they would of just fobbed you off with its congestion on the network script like diagnoses lol

kind regards

Martyn

Guest bluecat69

Right. Had a call from T mobile yesterday telling me that they're putting a fix on the network on the 15th of this month to fix this issue. lets see if it indeed does.

your more than welcome .. let us know the outcome of the ticket

FYI if they have opened a ticket to this then that tells me there have been loads of reports re this and they are collating examples for field engineers to carry out testing on the network etc ;) if that wasn't the case they would of just fobbed you off with its congestion on the network script like diagnoses lol

kind regards

Martyn

Oops. Lost this thread for a bit. I think 'ticket' is the wrong word, but I finally heard back, and it makes sense. My phone appears to be on a 'fringe' area of reception, where I am getting the 2Mbps speed negotiated (a bit like ADSL negotiates speed). They are looking at improving coverage in this area in the near future too, so did mention that I might get faster at some point.

They also confirmed that it isn't capping, or my phone or the network that's the issue. I'm not 100% sure about how this happened when I was stood next to a mast, but maybe I should have rebooted the phone or reset the radio before testing.

Oh well... I'm not going to complain, and I got a response from them so I'm happy.

Hope the 15th Feb network update helps those with the issue that's meant to be being discussed in this thread.