[GUIDE] Rooting/flashing ROM on Pulse for beginners

Guest Cisplatin

Guest Cisplatin

Hello everybody, I am new here!

I'd like to write a beginners step by step guide for rooting and flashing new ROM on Pulse. First read everything, and then start with the work! (This worked on windows xp)

CAUTION! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSABILITY IF YOU MESS UP YOUR DEVICE!

1) First you should download SuperBoot from this link, and AmonRa recovery image from this link

2) Now you need AdbWinApi.dll (for windows), and that is in this package from this link - there you should find file called AdbWinApi.dll in Hero folder, and copy it to folder "1.1-pulse-superboot" and "1.2.3-pulse-amonrarecovery"

3) Install everything from your T-mobile Pulse CD, and make connection and sync with PC Suite

4) If your PC recognizes your Pulse, you may continue, now unplug your Pulse from PC, and shut down Pulse

5) Go to bootloader mode (blue screen): hold down key+red key, and briefly pres power key

6) Connect your Pulse with your PC

7) Now go in folder "1.1-pulse-superboot" and press fastboot-windows.exe, and than install-superboot-windows.bat --> you should see some bytes written on your Pulse screen

8) now do the same with AmonRa image: folder "1.2.3-pulse-amonrarecovery" and press fastboot-windows.exe, and than install-superboot-windows.bat --> again some bytes written

9) Now you should plug out your Pulse from PC, and exit bootloader (I do not know any other way than pulling battery out)

10) Now turn on your device, and go in application called QuickBoot (I think), and press the Recovery button

11) There you should first do a nandroid backup (your current ROM backup), and then install new ROM (update-pulse-1.2-core-signed.zip) you have a guide for flashing here

Im, not totally shure how to partition properly, so I won't write guide for that (yet)

-=UPDATE=-: For partitioning SD sard, and flashing new ROM {step 11)} check out this link

special thanks to bas-r and Paul, guide is now finished

Cisplatin

Edited by Cisplatin

Guest Evil Kaz

Hi

Thanks for writing the newbie guide but for some reason I don't think my Pulse is rooting properly. I've used the above method and the one in the Superboot sticky, the only difference i can tell between the two is that the other thread recommends using the file AdbWinApi.dll from the Android SDK, which is a different file version.

Using either method, i get into bootloader mode, follow the instructions and the phone states "xxxx bytes written to boot" & "xxxx bytes written to recovery". I then restart the phone normally and see two new icons, "Quick Boot" & "Super User Permissions". However, when i run either they freeze and stop responding have have to be force closed. If i leave the apps running nothing happens.

On the Android market place people have had similar issues but no explanation as to why.

Edited by Evil Kaz

One thing I havent figured uot is how to make partitions on sd card, A2SD, and both FAT32, and ext2 working on Pulse. (I have partitions, but I can't see any (FAT32 I guess) files on my SD card on my Pulse - It says SD card is unavailable)

So please, if anyone who knows how to do that is reading this, write a step by step guide and post it here in this thread. Thanx.

Cisplatin

Try using gparted, you can start that when you boot from a bootable linux usb pen (open up terminal and 'sudo gparted'). You'll need an sd card reader as well.

Guest Cisplatin
Btw, I wrote something similar yesterday, http://bas-r.nl/?p=21

Really great guide, bas-r, I've missed it before. But now I've put a link to your guide on first post.

Thanks for the tip. I've installed ubuntu 9.10 via cool simple program called WUBI, and I'm going to try to partition sd-card with gparted when I find time for that (I am pretty busy atm)

Edited by Cisplatin

Guest Cisplatin
Using either method, i get into bootloader mode, follow the instructions and the phone states "xxxx bytes written to boot" & "xxxx bytes written to recovery". I then restart the phone normally and see two new icons, "Quick Boot" & "Super User Permissions". However, when i run either they freeze and stop responding have have to be force closed. If i leave the apps running nothing happens.

On the Android market place people have had similar issues but no explanation as to why.

I really don't know. Be more patient, and wait for program to open. Try installing everything again from scratch.

In application "QuickBoot" press Recovery button, and than Pulse will reboot into AmonRa recovery image. There you can start doing "magic." :)

Really great guide, bas-r, I've missed it before. But now I've put a link to your guide on first post.

Thank you, though it's just a collection of links. But it's a good starting point for new users, to find some basic info on tweaking the Pulse and how to sort the two main problems of the Pulse (OpenGL problem and App installation problem).

• 5 months later...
Guest kevmaster
Hello everybody, I am new here!

I'd like to write a beginners step by step guide for rooting and flashing new ROM on Pulse. First read everything, and then start with the work! (This worked on windows xp)

CAUTION! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSABILITY IF YOU MESS UP YOUR DEVICE!

1) First you should download SuperBoot from this link, and AmonRa recovery image from this link

2) Now you need AdbWinApi.dll (for windows), and that is in this package from this link - there you should find file called AdbWinApi.dll in Hero folder, and copy it to folder "1.1-pulse-superboot" and "1.2.3-pulse-amonrarecovery"

3) Install everything from your T-mobile Pulse CD, and make connection and sync with PC Suite

4) If your PC recognizes your Pulse, you may continue, now unplug your Pulse from PC, and shut down Pulse

5) Go to bootloader mode (blue screen): hold down key+red key, and briefly pres power key

6) Connect your Pulse with your PC

7) Now go in folder "1.1-pulse-superboot" and press fastboot-windows.exe, and than install-superboot-windows.bat --> you should see some bytes written on your Pulse screen

8) now do the same with AmonRa image: folder "1.2.3-pulse-amonrarecovery" and press fastboot-windows.exe, and than install-superboot-windows.bat --> again some bytes written

9) Now you should plug out your Pulse from PC, and exit bootloader (I do not know any other way than pulling battery out)

10) Now turn on your device, and go in application called QuickBoot (I think), and press the Recovery button

11) There you should first do a nandroid backup (your current ROM backup), and then install new ROM (update-pulse-1.2-core-signed.zip) you have a guide for flashing here

Im, not totally shure how to partition properly, so I won't write guide for that (yet)

-=UPDATE=-: For partitioning SD sard, and flashing new ROM {step 11)} check out this link

special thanks to bas-r and Paul, guide is now finished

Cisplatin

it keeps going to the t-mobile spinning animation and then starting all over again

Guest ogiogi

You don't need to install both images. Superboot is for rooting the stock T-mobile ROM, and it's not necessary if you plan to use a custom ROM.

The recovery image is for flashing a custom ROM. Custom roms are already rooted :D

Install both if u want to root the stock T-Mo Rom and use the recovery image for backups :rolleyes:.

Edited by ogiogi

• 4 months later...
Please, its possible to do rooting without pc? i have a broken usb connector on my device. thanx!

Ressurecting a long dead thread probably not the best place to ask your question. Perhaps start a new one.

Edited by Daz555

Please, its possible to do rooting without pc? i have a broken usb connector on my device. thanx!

If you alreay have the recovery image installed... If not then "No"

Ressurecting a long dead thread probably not the best place to ask your question. Perhaps start a new one.

Aye that be true!

Don't want to confuse the newbies with an outdated guide now do we? :lol:

If you alreay have the recovery image installed... If not then "No"

Aye that be true!

Don't want to confuse the newbies with an outdated guide now do we? :lol:

ok, sorry for that, but I'm desperate. Hungary and Uk rom stinks....B)

• 1 month later...
Guest Weirdo109
it keeps going to the t-mobile spinning animation and then starting all over again

Just tried this myself and it's doing exactly the same.

Would appreciate info how to get my phone back to normal function.

Downloaded and installed 2.1 update, after a few updates it eventually started properly.

Edited by Weirdo109

• 10 months later...

Please Help

I did the very instruction, but when I restart the device, the 'android' Logo remains and no activity

This thread is very old information. Click on the link in my signature for the Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide and follow those instructions.