S3C6410 Overclocking Tool: Need Omnia II/Louvre Testers

Guest daskalos

Guest yshaikh01
Well first of all, this thread explores the possibilities and developments of overclocking the S3C6410 processor and the developer is not forcing anyone to try the app, which means the app is "Try it on your own Risk"

Second, Mr. Epsylon3 doesn't own an i8000, he owns an ACER M900 and this tool was originally created for M900, not I8000. He started a thread on Acer Forums on the tool, giving our 533Mhz a boost of 666Mhz, which clearly speeds up 3D Games and intensive apps for us acer users. Because of his willingness to make the tool to be compatible with other smartphones having s3c6410 procie, he requested (in that thread) for someone to please try the tool on an 800mhz (like O2,GA,Pro) so that he could make it compatible with it...

So I made a thread here to help him in the development, testers have done there job and now he successfully made it compatible with O2.

Mhz's increased big or not, the point is he made the effort of making the tool compatible with O2, even if he does not own an O2. Why can't people just be thankful that someone is making an effort in making some possible improvements, without asking nothing in return...

For instance:

-Ginkage made the OpenGl 1.0 driver, he owns a I8000, but he made it also compatible with Acer M900...

- NuShrike made the FPUEnabler, he owns an Acer M900, but he made it also compatible with I8000

They made these tools and drivers without asking anything in return and made these tools/drivers compatible with other devices they don't have for the sake of improving our devices. Let's just be thankful they're doing it for free...and hopefully free in the future, for NuShrike is planning to place the final version of FPUEnabler in Marketplace, all because some jerk said that he is just wasting his time and effort in making FPUEnabler...

Third and Last, I think it never came to his mind and intentions (and other developers too) to "destroy" our new phones just to win a couple of microseconds...

Fully agree, we should be grateful for the contributions that are made to make OUR devices BETTER for FREE.

Does somebody check the heat sink of Samsung Omnia II CPU or has a pictures of disassembled phone ?

When OC some device everyone should be aware of his heating/cooling right. That's main principle.

Guest daskalos
Does somebody check the heat sink of Samsung Omnia II CPU or has a pictures of disassembled phone ?

When OC some device everyone should be aware of his heating/cooling right. That's main principle.

Heat Sink of Omnia 2? Heating/Cooling System on a SmartPhone? Ok wait guys, let's not over react :D

Obviously, your pertaining to Processors made for computers, laptops and notebooks.

Yup OC'ing them makes them processor hot, but to compare these processors to smart phone processors is ridiculous...

For example, could you compare a P3 800mhz processor to O2's 800mhz...Even if you dont OC a P3 800mhz, it is still over way hotter than O2 800mhz...Wait a minute...hotter is not applicable since O2 running 800 MHZ is isn't hot...and for some realizations smartphone processors doesn't have heat sinks (imagine a handheld with a heat sink and built in fan...not)

Smartphone processors were build in a way different from computer/laptops processors, thus making "process" without generating damaging heat...

Did you know that speakers, mobile backlight, wifi, LCD, gps and other hardware consumes much more power than a processor running at 800mhz...yup much more.

And for those who still believe that you'll burn your O2 or planning to dismantle O2 to find that elusive heat sink, sorry to burst your bubble but quoting Mack Baggette of PocketPCTechs.com. Here's what he had to say about Smartphone OC'ng

"My basic take on overclocking is to give the option to the users and let them decide, knowing the possible risks involved. In overclocking a handheld unit, there is almost no risk of physically damaging the unit. The extra power consumption doesn't come close to the power consumption of things like the screen, backlight, memory chips, etc. In regards to the heat, it is negligible as there is much more heat generated from the power circuits for things such as charging and backlighting than anything else. The worst thing that can happen is that you will have to hard reset your unit and lose all your data and programs. If you are playing with overclocking, just make sure you have good backups."

Edited by daskalos

Guest tacchan23
No comment..

Please don't mind the few negative comments and keep up the good work!

I'm sure a lot of people is happy to try/use you application! :D

Guest kisstom
Please don't mind the few negative comments and keep up the good work!

I'm sure a lot of people is happy to try/use you application! :D

Yess, i'm happy

Thx:)

Heat Sink of Omnia 2? Heating/Cooling System on a SmartPhone? Ok wait guys, let's not over react :D

I asked just to compare the heatsink with that of Acer phone that is copper one. I can't find now who had shown up the inside of his Acer phone.

At least everybody is talking that Omnia II is far cooler that the original Omnia so you can experiment a lot.

edit: there's an answer of my question in the neighbor topic: http://www.modaco.com/content-page/294004/...embly/page/20/#

Edited by surenz

Epsylon3: Thanks again for this tool, very thankful here! =)

As for the others comments, I'm going to agree with Epsylon3 on Sorgs text with "No comment...", really, the whole "cooling down/dont overclock" talk is so over reacted that you shouldn't even consider this tool

if that is what you're worried about, to make things better, I can be a test person for "constant" overclocking, when I'm using

the device for longer period of time I'm ALWAYS running it at 2x512, so I'm at 1024mhz smoothly. After days of overclocking it is still working, should it

break I will let you all know, does this sound better? No? Well then skip using the tool, it's SO simple.

And not too repeat myself, but running 1024Mhz makes a huge difference for me and my usage patterns

Guest Chainfire
- NuShrike made the FPUEnabler, he owns an Acer M900, but he made it also compatible with I8000

Hey! I resent that :( FPU Enabler was I8000 compatible because I created the patch code and I don't have an M900 :D I think in turn GinKage made his lib M900 compatible mostly because we all hang in the same chat channel and NuShrike doesn't have I8000... (that might not be correct, though). Doesn't take away from your point, though!

Guest Ganhiru

As most ppl here are not dutch :( you probably wont be aware that this tool made the headlines on the most popular tech site in the Netherlands.

Original Google Translation

:D Most Tweakers get very exited when hearing that you can OC a device, that makes this big news.

And why would you oc your Omnia they ask. Well Just because you can.

So thank you Epsylon3 and daskalos for making it possible.

Guest bluhound
Epsylon3: Thanks again for this tool, very thankful here! =)

As for the others comments, I'm going to agree with Epsylon3 on Sorgs text with "No comment...", really, the whole "cooling down/dont overclock" talk is so over reacted that you shouldn't even consider this tool

if that is what you're worried about, to make things better, I can be a test person for "constant" overclocking, when I'm using

the device for longer period of time I'm ALWAYS running it at 2x512, so I'm at 1024mhz smoothly. After days of overclocking it is still working, should it

break I will let you all know, does this sound better? No? Well then skip using the tool, it's SO simple.

And not too repeat myself, but running 1024Mhz makes a huge difference for me and my usage patterns

May I know what firmware you are using and what software have been installed?

No mater what value I have overclocked it to (even just to 401 1 extra from the default 400), the whole phone crashes. I am currently trying out IK5 ROM cooked by Kuanchai.

EDIT: Scrap that. Is this app something like FPU Enabler where it has to be constantly running in the background? I can't seem make it stay in the background. Everytime I close an app, this overclocking tool pops out again.

Edited by bluhound

Guest Epsylon3
EDIT: Scrap that. Is this app something like FPU Enabler where it has to be constantly running in the background? I can't seem make it stay in the background. Everytime I close an app, this overclocking tool pops out again.

No, it only set frequency on the fly, you can close it after... its why there is a shortcut creator tool... Frequency is then reset to normal frequency on sleep (when your screen is set off)

MPLL = Main Frequency, APLL = ARM Frequency, but i dont suggest to change MPLL, lcd and usb could be based on this main frequency... (in fast there is a third PLL, the EPLL for devices, which could be based on MPLL)

Guest bluhound
No, it only set frequency on the fly, you can close it after... its why there is a shortcut creator tool... Frequency is then reset to normal frequency on sleep (when your screen is set off)

MPLL = Main Frequency, APLL = ARM Frequency, but i dont suggest to change MPLL, lcd and usb could be based on this main frequency... (in fast there is a third PLL, the EPLL for devices, which could be based on MPLL)

OK, thanks for the info. As for the app closing problem, i managed to fix it by re-downloading the Framework.

However, even by increasing the value by 1 from 400 to 401 still crashes my phone. Not instantly but after a few mins where random number of apps crashes and the "send, don't send" screen pops up. After tapping away the crash screens, it shows the Titanium menu but the phone is no longer responsive. Had to remove the battery to soft reset it.

Guest Epsylon3
OK, thanks for the info. As for the app closing problem, i managed to fix it by re-downloading the Framework.

However, even by increasing the value by 1 from 400 to 401 still crashes my phone. Not instantly but after a few mins where random number of apps crashes and the "send, don't send" screen pops up. After tapping away the crash screens, it shows the Titanium menu but the phone is no longer responsive. Had to remove the battery to soft reset it.

please copy paste the Debug tab content before and after overclocking (set it to a low value)

Guest bluhound

I have attached the log for before overclocking. As for after overclocking (changing APLL from 400 to 401), only one line was added:-

slot 1 :phys_base=7e008000 base=7e008000

Went back to Titanium with APLL of 401 and my phone instantly crashed. Had to remove battery again. I suspect it could be the firmware problem as it is a cooked ROM. I'll try and reflash it to stock Samsung ROM and will test it again later.

before.txt

Guest whiskeybro

Some spb Benchmark test results with new O2 Lite Rom

orginal O2 lite rom/set to 1000 mhz /compare with htc hd2 stock rom

post-147419-1259934516_thumb.jpg

post-147419-1259936010_thumb.jpg

post-147419-1259936025_thumb.jpg

Edited by whiskeybro

Guest bluhound
I have attached the log for before overclocking. As for after overclocking (changing APLL from 400 to 401), only one line was added:-

Went back to Titanium with APLL of 401 and my phone instantly crashed. Had to remove battery again. I suspect it could be the firmware problem as it is a cooked ROM. I'll try and reflash it to stock Samsung ROM and will test it again later.

OK, I got it working. Flashed to stock IK5 ROM and it worked. The highest I could go is APLL of 495. Above that, the phone may seem fine but later apps will crash randomly and TouchFlo3D constantly restarts.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Epsylon3

Made a new tool S3Clock which will keep your cpu settings... after sleep mode

There is no CAB installation for this initial version for the moment, a simple executable file and 3 registry keys to set the values... read the readme.txt in archive

This tool is made with Visual C++ 2008, i think without .NET (not sure about that, sometimes i hate microsoft :)

http://tanguy.ath.cx/index.php?q=GPIOgfx

Edited by Epsylon3

Thank for that Epsylon3!

Now my question would be, despite reading the readme, what are the values suppose to look like exactly? The readme isn't clarifying this too me,

do you know exactly which type or reg key to add etc.? After adding the exe and running it the folder s3clock is indeed there in when looking through the registry folders etc.

Thanks!

Guest Epsylon3
Thank for that Epsylon3!

Now my question would be, despite reading the readme, what are the values suppose to look like exactly? The readme isn't clarifying this too me,

do you know exactly which type or reg key to add etc.? After adding the exe and running it the folder s3clock is indeed there in when looking through the registry folders etc.

Thanks!

Values are created when you launch the tool... just change them...