Debian on t-mobile pulse

Guest mikeyxb

Guest mikeyxb

i have done extensive research on modding my pulse so i can give it a go, i am all ready to start and before i do this i want to know if it is possible to install debian on my pulse like on other android phones, and also does this work like and application where i can exit and use my phone as normal... sorry for the newb question as im just getting around everything and getting used to it all :D

EDIT: i have now got debian installed and lxde enviroment, slow but working, touchpal does not seem to work so maybe something someone could work on or let me know what i done wrong lol maybe i did the keymap bit wrong, i am running 1.7 vanilla cupcake mcr which seemed to have allowed me to go through it all with no hicups

if anyone would like a little help im sure i could get people started and maybe help with some of the issues your having

Edited by mikeyxb

Guest mikeyxb

seem to have worked it out now, going to download the files and report back if it has been sucessfull, if any one would like me to post a tutorial once im done and confirmed it has worked then please let me know and i'll create one, and i'll upload the files to an easier location than where i got them :D :(

seem to have worked it out now, going to download the files and report back if it has been sucessfull, if any one would like me to post a tutorial once im done and confirmed it has worked then please let me know and i'll create one, and i'll upload the files to an easier location than where i got them :D :(

That would be very informative!

I'm all ears!

first I thought of installing debian using saurik's instructions:

http://www.saurik.com/id/10

but I ended up using much simpler ubuntu instructions from Paolo:

http://xdatap1.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/ja...-under-android/

basically the difference between the two is that saurik places debian into an .img file located on the fat32 area whereas Paolo places the ubuntu filesystem into the ext2 area: /system/sd/ubuntu

Guest mikeyxb

this process is very tricky indeed theres not much support on the pulse at the moment, i think i got the shell installed but not sure if its correct, im having trouble resizing the debian.img on vista, using virtualbox isnt helping as i cant figure out how to transfer files from virtual hard drive, tried the process of getting gui running but android vnc seems to not read the xsession... if anyone can find a tutorial made for pulse then would be greatfull

i used the tutorial on android forums, here http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/communit...248&catid=9

but now im not sure it worked the way i planned, when running the installer.sh i had to put sh ./installer.sh nothing happened and typed EXIT and it seemed to install, i did BOOTDEB and all seemed ok then i found a tutorial for Xwindows running icewm but having trouble now anyone have any ideas

Guest mikeyxb

i tried the method of putting ubuntu in the ext2 partition and all was succesfull, but the only trouble i had i couldnt install tightvncserver from the shell nor could i install ivewm so i think im going to re do the debian.img, unless anyone knows how to get debian onto the ext2 partition like the ubuntu ????? any ideas and some experienced knowledge of getting icevm booted from the shell and vnc

Guest mikeyxb

when i try install on debian i get this ....

su

# cd /sdcard/debian

cd /sdcard/debian

# busybox chmod 4755 *

busybox chmod 4755 *

chmod: bootdeb: Operation not permitted

chmod: debian.img: Operation not permitted

chmod: fsrw: Operation not permitted

chmod: installer.sh: Operation not permitted

chmod: mountonly: Operation not permitted

chmod: unionfs: Operation not permitted

# sh ./installer.sh

sh ./installer.sh

# exit

exit

modprobe: chdir(2.6.27-perf): No such file or directory

←[H←[Jmkdir: cannot create directory '/data/local/mnt': File exists

←[H←[Jchmod: bootdeb: Operation not permitted

chmod: debian.img: Operation not permitted

chmod: fsrw: Operation not permitted

chmod: installer.sh: Operation not permitted

chmod: mountonly: Operation not permitted

chmod: unionfs: Operation not permitted

←[H←[J

VERSION 2.1

Custom Debian Bootloader is now installed! Quick huh?

This process does NO damage to your Android underlying OS!

Courtesy of http://www.androidfanatic.com

Installer by Mark Walker (ghostwalker)

To enter the Debian Linux console just type 'bootdeb'

PS: Be sure to run /scripts/onetime.sh as root from the shell after your FIRST '

boot'.

#

but it doesnt look like its right ? any ideas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest necrologist

got into debian shell with 1.7 custom rom and the image from

http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/communit...248&catid=9

apps2sd failed right after reboot :/

working on that now, and I think there's some errors in the bootdeb script

but I will work these things out soon, when i've got the time

don't give up hope, installing debian is pretty easy on custom rom'd pulse <_<

Guest necrologist

got debian with lxde up on my phone,

but I've got a few questions, and observed some stuff

1 ----------------

bootdeb script remounts my /cache partition to /system (uses mtdblock3 instead of mtdblock1 which is mounted to /system);

debian and the phone works too, but I find this interesting (I simply don't know why you use the cache)

2 ----------------

after typing "exit" in the deb shell, you only quit the bash, all of the remaining processes stay active (like lxsession, etc.);

"fuser -k /data/local/mnt" is not working in the shutdown section of the script;

possibly because of this /data/local/mnt/dev/pts can't be umounted even with the force flag;

because of these the loop device cannot be unmounted even forcing it;

killing these processes after the script "shut down" with fuser or kill results in nothing (kill can't find their pid, although top sees these processes);

rebooting of course solves this problem, but it's quit problematic with a2sd/e2fsck defunct

------------------

I'm looking up some solution to the latter problem, but if someone knows a way to kill these processes, or knows why fuser/kill doesn't work on them please post it here

also thanks for the "debian" ready part of the rom, it saves quit a time setting up debian

Guest mikeyxb
got debian with lxde up on my phone,

but I've got a few questions, and observed some stuff

1 ----------------

bootdeb script remounts my /cache partition to /system (uses mtdblock3 instead of mtdblock1 which is mounted to /system);

debian and the phone works too, but I find this interesting (I simply don't know why you use the cache)

2 ----------------

after typing "exit" in the deb shell, you only quit the bash, all of the remaining processes stay active (like lxsession, etc.);

"fuser -k /data/local/mnt" is not working in the shutdown section of the script;

possibly because of this /data/local/mnt/dev/pts can't be umounted even with the force flag;

because of these the loop device cannot be unmounted even forcing it;

killing these processes after the script "shut down" with fuser or kill results in nothing (kill can't find their pid, although top sees these processes);

rebooting of course solves this problem, but it's quit problematic with a2sd/e2fsck defunct

------------------

I'm looking up some solution to the latter problem, but if someone knows a way to kill these processes, or knows why fuser/kill doesn't work on them please post it here

also thanks for the "debian" ready part of the rom, it saves quit a time setting up debian

any cahance you can give any help on how you did it i am failing badly and gave up a while ago lol im running 1.7 vanilla rom and could do with a write up how ya done it, and would help some of my freinds to lol

Guest necrologist

This is NOT a full tutorial nor will I take any responsibility if you fail with this, use with care there's still some problems mentioned before

I don't have the time to write down the whole process now with my comments, so in a nutshell:

1) Download this http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/unoffici...einfo&id=21

taken from this tutorial: http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/communit...d=9&id=2248

2) unpack it and copy to your sdcard

debian.img should be in /sdcard/debian/

3) follow this tutorial http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/communit...d=9&id=1610

4) then this http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/communit...mp;id=1620#1620

5) hope I dont forget anything...

advices:

1) start an ssh server when you "boot" into debian shell type

/etc/init.d/ssh start

2) before installing stuff within debian type this

export LC_ALL="C"

this is necessary or lxde install will result in an error

3) don't use the downloaded bootdeb script (although i haven't checked it for diffs)

use the one shipped with the rom (/system/app/bootdeb I think)

(I used "MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style v 1.7", but the vanilla rom is debian ready too)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikeyxb
what are the chances of someone making us a flashable debian rom? :)

feelmychi

success i have got lxde installed on my tmobile pulse it took a while but i did it, debian was installed using the 1.7 vanilla cupcake mcr all went well with no errors after resizing my image to 2g,

resized my image using

dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img seek=3.5G bs=1 count=1

e2fsck -f debian.img

resize2fs debian.img

lxde runs a little slow, and cant seem to get thr touchpal keyboard to write anything? waiting for a custom rom now for uk milestone so i can get good use from it on that device

• 1 month later...
Guest neopeek

success i have got lxde installed on my tmobile pulse it took a while but i did it, debian was installed using the 1.7 vanilla cupcake mcr all went well with no errors after resizing my image to 2g,

resized my image using

dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img seek=3.5G bs=1 count=1

e2fsck -f debian.img

resize2fs debian.img

lxde runs a little slow, and cant seem to get thr touchpal keyboard to write anything? waiting for a custom rom now for uk milestone so i can get good use from it on that device

Debian ARM EABI also runs now on my Pulse :-)

Pictures are here.

Actually quite easy, since Paul had all prepared - THX to Paul and the others above

one has just to mount the debian.img to the correct place and type bootdeb

Have fun,

neopeek

Edited by neopeek

• 1 year later...
Guest marcusmaximo
Debian ARM EABI also runs now on my Pulse :-)

Pictures are here.

Actually quite easy, since Paul had all prepared - THX to Paul and the others above

one has just to mount the debian.img to the correct place and type bootdeb

Have fun,

neopeek

Hello Guys

I wonder if there is an updated method to get debian/ubuntu running on Pulse ROMS FLB1.6b or RMB latest or maybe Cyan ones ?

I've tested several methods including the linux installer from market but I will always get for command chroot $mnt /bin/bash the illegal instruction error.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks