U8230 ROM on the Pulse... YES YOU CAN! :) [now with download!]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest helikopter
It's fine. It does seem better unbranded. Might take a bit of getting use to at first. There is a Bouygues app which could be removed and update the OpenGL-ES library (as it has the slow one). But I completely agree, it's probably more stable than the T-Mobile version.

can you please try if the headphone adapter bug is still there with this rom?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far its running fine.

The names of months stay frensh on my phone, any idea?

And i am missing the "finger slidedown"(dunno whats the right name for it) function on the touchpal!

Wifi, GPS, 3G, Camera are working fine!

Need to make a test call, but dunno why it should not work!

Edited by mapero

Everything works fine here,

Locale was English by default and so were the month names.

TouchPals slide feature was also enabled by default.

Edited by klutsh

Touchpal working now, thanks for that!

Reboot fixed Calendar,too.

May it possible to include the German Language files(Touchpal&Android), i can only select English/French.

Before selecting a language, some parts were German, some French.

Guest Sengadog
Pondering buying another Pulse just for ROM dev now...

P

It's a pity I didn't wait for a couple of weeks, I bought two at full price 2 weeks ago :-( so at least you can get a bargain one now.

Edited by Sengadog

OMG i can't believe the pink is gone :(

My pulse is now soooo much more responsive than the branded firmware !!!!

I think that everything is stock 1.5 android apart from :

Camera app - same as before

One added wallpaper

touch pal keyboard - hmmmm god ;)

Document to go and Roadsync pre-installed

Sim toolkit

and t-mobile default home page

All good so far !!!

btw paul the pulse is so cheap now , :D £40 off. If you really need , I could donate some money to it .....

Edited by phucte

Yeah, you can just put it in bootloader (vol down and end then power) then fastboot the recovery image to restore your nandroid backup. I did exactly this. :D

I tried this. Seems very responsive indeed, although I do continuously get "android.process.acore has unexpectedly quit" error messages. Oh well, I guess I'll just restore my nandroid backup. However, all my apps have gone and also the quickboot app.

I know how to get into bootloader and I get the blue USB fastboot screen. However, that's where I'm stuck. Could you be more specific about how one 'fastboots the recovery image to restore your nandroid backup'? Is this basically re-installing Amon RA's patched recovery image, as explained in http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...on-your-device/ ?

Tnx for the help

I tried this. Seems very responsive indeed, although I do continuously get "android.process.acore has unexpectedly quit" error messages.

I found that, if I did a full wipe all/most of the error messages would go away.

Could you be more specific about how one 'fastboots the recovery image to restore your nandroid backup'?

This helps me abit

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-for-beginners/

I think you need to do this every time you reboot the device to get into Amon RA's patched recovery image.

Guest HunteronX
I tried this. Seems very responsive indeed, although I do continuously get "android.process.acore has unexpectedly quit" error messages. Oh well, I guess I'll just restore my nandroid backup. However, all my apps have gone and also the quickboot app.

I know how to get into bootloader and I get the blue USB fastboot screen. However, that's where I'm stuck. Could you be more specific about how one 'fastboots the recovery image to restore your nandroid backup'? Is this basically re-installing Amon RA's patched recovery image, as explained in http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...on-your-device/ ?

Tnx for the help

Yes, I think that is it - but if you have already flashed the recovery image and use adb, then you can just enter 'adb shell reboot recovery' in command prompt (only on windows - I think it is that same command for a terminal in linux) to reboot to recovery mode, and then just restore your nandroid backup.

Great job Paul on the rom, thanks for sharing this. I tried everything i can think off, but cant make the phone to work. I cant receive or make phone calls, when i try the phone just reboots. Tried on 2g and 3g, and same result. Is it just me or anyone else have this problem

Guest helikopter

installed, looks very cool! it seems that the headphone adapter bug disappeared, it's very important for me! i can also confirm that barcode scanner is working on this rom so i highly recommend it to those who said that it's essential to have it on their devices.

i'm very happy now, although i found two bugs instantly:

1. on the left page of the home screen about every second tap on the screen ends in a force close.

2. force close happens, too, if i tap on the groups tab on the contacts screen.

honestly, force close happens everywhere. :D it happens even when i'm not on the home screen, and just starting some application or messing around in the settings, android.process.acore force closes. strange.

but on the upside it's very speedy when it's not doing that. i think i'll do a factory reset tomorrow and see if it stays the same. thanks for giving this to us, paul!

question: is it possible that this rom eats up more space then the official pulse rom? before i flashed it i had 11mbs, after flashing i had 3. :(

Edited by helikopter

Guest niko1986
Well it fixes the barcode scanner and shopsavvy camera issue.

Ahh cool no need to wait for Hauwei to do it then ;p

As per the rom i do like the pulse launcher rather than the plain grey arrow in the middle of the screen, although i wish the My Contacts crap shortcut could be changed to something useful.

Guest beshmeee
If you're getting force-closes, try wiping!

P

Sorry for this Newbie question.

So is there a quick easy guide to getting this MCR1.4 onto the pulse. I have got MCR1.3 on there at the moment and all is fine, but somewhat sluggish. Seemed to lose A2SD as well in the process - and can confirm all the other issues such as failing barcode without use of bright torch, strange behaviour with 2.5-3.5 headphone adapter and media/music players (fine over BT though).

You say in the first edited post - 'at your own risk, etc'. Being very new to all this does it mean that the Amon RA recovery no longer works as it did along with quickboot?

Reason for my worries: when I first came installing the MCRs I could not originally get the first MCR (1.2) ROM on to the pulse from my Mac in the way described - not without looking at the contents of the file install-recovery-mac.sh (./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-RA-pulse-v1.2.3.img) and typing this directly into terminal. It was a complete guess, but it seemed to work - but boy was I worried!!! Took me hours af trial and error to get it on the device!?

Will I have to do something similar for this MCR1.4 ROM, and if I do it wrong will I be able to get back to MCR1.3?

And I forgot to ask, does Geotagging work now?

Sorry again for this Newbie question.

B.

Edited by beshmeee

If you're getting force-closes, try wiping!

P

Help! I think I have a serious problem...

The u8230 was a bit buggy (intermittend android.process.acore erros, couldn't make phone calls) so I decided to go back to MCR1.3. As the U8230 ROM didn't include quickboot, I went to the market to find it (didn't work, insufficient storage). So I following HunteronX and Phucte's advice earlier in this thread, I reinstalled the AmonRA recovery image. That still didn't give me quickboot, but a factory reset gave me bootloader mode at startup. Hurray! Result! I selected the MCR1.3 update.zip from the menu and installed it.

But that's where hell really broke loose:

1. the phone boots into mcr1.3

2. the phone asks me for my sim pin-code, which I duly enter

3. after that the android.process.acore error messages pop up so quickly, that I cannot get into the apps screen to relaunch quickboot and completely wipe everything. I'm effectively locked out of quickboot!

4. How else can i wipe my phone and do a clean mcr re-install?

I'm on mac. I don't mind downloading the 'adb' programme, although it does scare me a bit. :-/ If any adb steps are necessary, please tell me where I can download it, too....

Keeping fingers crossed and hoping for community help!

Edited by goblin

Guest beshmeee
Help! I think I have a serious problem...

The u8230 was a bit buggy (intermittend android.process.acore erros, couldn't make phone calls) so I decided to go back to MCR1.3. As the U8230 ROM didn't include quickboot, I went to the market to find it (didn't work, insufficient storage). So I following HunteronX and Phucte's advice earlier in this thread, I reinstalled the AmonRA recovery image. That still didn't give me quickboot, but a factory reset gave me bootloader mode at startup. Hurray! Result! I selected the MCR1.3 update.zip from the menu and installed it.

But that's where hell really broke loose:

1. the phone boots into mcr1.3

2. the phone asks me for my sim pin-code, which I duly enter

3. after that the android.process.acore error messages pop up so quickly, that I cannot get into the apps screen to relaunch quickboot and completely wipe everything. I'm effectively locked out of quickboot!

4. How else can i wipe my phone and do a clean mcr re-install?

I'm on mac. I don't mind downloading the 'adb' programme, although it does scare me a bit. :-/ If any adb steps are necessary, please tell me where I can download it, too....

Keeping fingers crossed and hoping for community help!

Reading this I think I will personally wait for a more 'mature' ROM to be published!

I really wish I understood more than I do with this subject!!!

And good luck to you Goblin - hope you bring your Pulse back to life!

Cheers, B.

Edited by beshmeee

Guest helikopter

I did the wipe and all i can say now is: wowww! My pulse seems to be twice as fast then it was before, and all the annoying bugs are gone (i seriously recommend this rom to those who have problems with syncing contacts or need shopsavvy). Great job, Paul!

Guest helikopter

Sorry for the noob question, but do i have to root my phone again after flashing? Now i don't have superuser permissions and quickboot, and market enabler also fails to work.

Sorry for the noob question, but do i have to root my phone again after flashing? Now i don't have superuser permissions and quickboot, and market enabler also fails to work.

yeah i think so! A factory reset got me back into recovery mode. You can wipe various bits and pieces from there.

Edited by goblin

Guest helikopter

As the pulse officially doesn't come with a stock android rom, you wouldn't get OTA updates, so you shouldn't really care abou that. If a new, bugfixed pulse rom will become available to download from t-mobile, you will still be able to grab it anytime.