U8230 ROM on the Pulse... YES YOU CAN! :) [now with download!]

Guest PaulOBrien

Don't give up.

We need to find out what is different just as I did with the wifi issue. You have a system which works, stock tmobile and system which does not u8230. Probably best to forget my kernel for now as this is just another potential for differences. We will need it later on when we want to add ext3/4, swap, compcache etc but for this job its just another variable we don't need.

So what we need to do is find out the differences.

1. Is the kernel on the pulse same as the one on the u8230. The kernel text string looks the same but is it the same version. Compare dmesg from both systems assuming the u8230 kernel boots. It gives gcc version and time and date of complilation. If it does not complete the boot you may get a clue as to why. If it does are there any differences in the messages?

2. Unpack the ramdisk from the one Paul just posted mount and compare with the one from the u8230. What are the differences. Are they significant?

3. The system images can also be compared but I expect these not to be the problem area.

4. Does the system boot at all. It seems that android phones have a different standard for the boot, system, user partitions. Maybe the u8230 is different to the pulse.

Thats all I can think of ATM.

Thanks to Paul for posting the boot image that was going to be my next task to extract that from the french update. Paul, can you post a link to the procedure for that.

Martin

Martin

Well yeah I get what you mean. I'm just not having ANY luck breaking the boot.img's down. None of them boot. Strangely, the original boot.img (not your compiled one, but I'll try that next) boots with the french roms system.img. This hasn't fixed the reset bug BUT I did find out something about it. It gave me a process.acore fail before it restarted ... AND it doesn't reset when you press call when you have no signal.

Edited by xangma

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest McSpoon

I think I've found a fix for the 'reboots after a call' bug. :D

Basically keep the /system/lib/libril.so and /system/lib/libril-qc-1.so files from the Pulse. It's the Radio Interface Layer.

Remember the U8230 updata.app wouldn't install because "OEMSBL version unmatched". OEMSBL is the radio bootloader and presumably we're keeping the original Pulse version. So my theory is we need to keep the same RIL protocol to communicate with it. Which seems to work. I took a copy of those files from my Pulse; Installed the U8230 update; Then copied those 2 files back into /system/lib. And now I can make calls without it rebooting and receive incoming calls too. :(

Basically keep the /system/lib/libril.so and /system/lib/libril-qc-1.so files from the Pulse. It's the Radio Interface Layer.

Remember the U8230 updata.app wouldn't install because "OEMSBL version unmatched". OEMSBL is the radio bootloader and presumably we're keeping the original Pulse version. So my theory is we need to keep the same RIL protocol to communicate with it. Which seems to work. I took a copy of those files from my Pulse; Installed the U8230 update; Then copied those 2 files back into /system/lib. And now I can make calls without it rebooting and receive incoming calls too. :(

Could you upload the .... is it in the system.img?

Guest McSpoon

If you wish to install the U8230 update and try it. (As always, ensure you have a nandroid backup to roll back in case)

Take a backup of your current libril* files from your Pulse.

adb pull /system/lib/libril.so .

adb pull /system/lib/libril-qc-1.so .

Then go into recovery mode and install the U8230 update.zip (ie. Paul's signed U8230 update.zip from the 1st post in this thread)

Then go back to recovery mode - adb shell reboot recovery

adb shell mount -o rw /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

adb push libril.so /system/lib/libril.so

adb push libril-qc-1.so /system/lib/libril-qc-1.so

And reboot. Calls should now work.

If you wish to install the U8230 update and try it. (As always, ensure you have a nandroid backup to roll back in case)

Take a backup of your current libril* files from your Pulse.

adb pull /system/lib/libril.so .

adb pull /system/lib/libril-qc-1.so .

Then go into recovery mode and install the U8230 update.zip (ie. Paul's signed U8230 update.zip from the 1st post in this thread)

Then go back to recovery mode - adb shell reboot recovery

adb shell mount -o rw /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

adb push libril.so /system/lib/libril.so

adb push libril-qc-1.so /system/lib/libril-qc-1.so

And reboot. Calls should now work.

That's genius. Thanks =] So how are we gonna get this 2.0 ROM p and running then? I've been trying all night. Can't get it to boot!

librils.zip

Edited by xangma

Guest martinbrook

Excelent work McSpoon. Did you diff the system filesystems or was it the OEMSBL which gave you the clue.

It's like a rollercoaster ride on this forum, highs and lows all the way.

Martin

Guest McSpoon
So how are we gonna get this 2.0 ROM p and running then? I've been trying all night. Can't get it to boot!

I guess the next step, if you know how to sign updates (which I don't) is to repackage Paul's update.zip

- replace both of the system/lib/libril*.so files with ones taken from any of the Pulse ROMS.

- and whilst at it, replace the system/lib/libhgl.so file with Google ION one (as mentioned in this thread).

- and apply any other tweaks you fancy.

Then after that, rebuild the kernel to include swap, compcache, ext4, iptables etc. :D

Guest McSpoon
Did you diff the system filesystems or was it the OEMSBL which gave you the clue.

It was the OEMSBL error message. Strangely the files are exactly the same size but there are differences.

so is this android 2.0? and will it remove evrythingsuch as apps contacts once installed?

Answer no, it is not 2.0. I've been trying to sort 2.0 out all night, but I just can't seem to get it to boot =[ I will keep working on it though. Bedtime for me now =]

Guest McSpoon
I've been trying to sort 2.0 out all night, but I just can't seem to get it to boot =[

Ahh, sorry I'd assumed you were referring to the U8230 ROM, my mistake.

I'm guessing we would have to make a lot of changes to the kernel drivers to get Android 2.0 on the Pulse. Or disable various bits of hardware. In which case, it will be a huge task and likely to take months. But I don't have a clue about it so I hope to be proven wrong.

Guest helikopter

i think that we should stick at 1.5 now as Paul suggested in the other thread, and make the u8230 rom as good as possible. if the rumors are true, 2.0 update will officially come next year and then it will be easier to play around with it.

may i ask for a re-upload of this rom with the working phonecalls until the tweaked version arrives? i fell in love with it yesterday. thanks.

Yeah I can do that. Are you confident using flashboot? I mean, you could get the required files from the bottom of page 4 and use them. That way you can keep all your settings :-)

Want me to post by boot.img rebuild script and my zip build script?

That would probably be best in the new chef's lounge (see the sticky announcement post)...

P

Guest helikopter

xangma: not really. it would be better for me to have the rom as a zip file just like in the first post. i don't care that much if i had to wipe.

Just a heads up that i'm gonna cook a test U8230 based MCR today... planned features...

- U8230 base with Bouygues stuff removed

- RIL fix

- Usual MCR stuff (busybox, root, A2SD etc. etc.)

Next step will then be to look at the custom kernels and get one of those for both MCRs. I plan both MCRs (stock and U8230) to use the same boot.img, to make things easier.

Perhaps also my U8230 MCR base will provide a good starting point for anyone else that wants to cook up a storm! :D

P

Guest Pulse12
Just a heads up that i'm gonna cook a test U8230 based MCR today... planned features...

- U8230 base with Bouygues stuff removed

- RIL fix

- Usual MCR stuff (busybox, root, A2SD etc. etc.)

Next step will then be to look at the custom kernels and get one of those for both MCRs. I plan both MCRs (stock and U8230) to use the same boot.img, to make things easier.

Perhaps also my U8230 MCR base will provide a good starting point for anyone else that wants to cook up a storm! :D

P

So what is this rom? what does it do to my pulse?