Debugging applications (and firmware) - where to start

Guest Nikki Locke

Guest Nikki Locke

I have just rooted my Pulse using superboot and installed the modaco firmware. Nice.

I'm a C++ & Java programmer, and I'd like to help the efforts to get the firmware that fixes the ShopSavvy camera problem stable and working. I have both CentOS 4 Linux and Windows boxes available.

I'd also like to debug and fix some problems with the apps e.g...

Adding favourites to the contacts list stops Google Contact sync working.

The IMAP email handler doesn't have any commands to move mail to other folders.

Where do I start with setting up a development system to do firmware development?

Is the source for stuff like Google sync and the T-Mobile contacts app available? Presumably the development environment for these is different?

Guest McSpoon

Good to have you onboard. The more people involved the merrier.

Firstly, make sure you have the Amon RA recovery image installed and do a nandroid backup.

If you want to explore the Android source code: http://source.android.com/download

You'll have to figure out for yourself how to compile it on CentOS. Everything with Android usually involves hours of research but you're likely to find documentation on the web somewhere if you hunt.

If you intend to improve the email client then perhaps consider teaming up with an existing project such as k9mail or similar.

Guest Nikki Locke

You haven't got me "on board" until someone tells me how to set up a development system to do the compiles.

"You will have to spend hours working it out for yourself" is neither helpful nor encouraging!

Thanks for the hint about K9 mail - I have now installed it, and it seems good.

The U8230 ROM seems to fix the problem with barcode scanning.

There is a difference between developing and ROM creation etc... if you are looking to dev (in Eclipse), hit up this page.

If you are looking to ROM build too, information is pretty all-over-the-place, but i'm working on building up a knowledge repository.

P

Guest Nikki Locke

I could have sworn I replied to this already, but it isn't here, so I'll try again.

As far as I understand it, from reading the relevant topic here, the U8230 ROM reboots the phone on incoming calls. Not ideal :-(

Thanks for the pointers to the Android developer site - I have downloaded some of the stuff, and will look at it when I get time.

I'd like to help with ROM stuff too (I have the necessary C/C++ skills), but don't have extra hours to spare to research how to do it from scratch. Any hints and tips appreciated.

I will be blogging as I go, so hopefully will be able to contribute something to the body of knowledge, even if it is only to help others not to go down the same dead ends I do. For example, I have just done detailed instructions for newbies on installing your superboot/recovery/MoDaCo ROM image set - see http://trumphurst.blogspot.com/2009/12/roo...bile-pulse.html. Hopefully my "new mind" approach will make the necessary steps clearer - any corrections or improvements welcome. Should I add some credits (other than the many links back here)?

Nikki