India blocks millions of mobiles for security reasons

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_02-Dec-2009__46832366_mobilemandelhiafp226.jpg
India blocks millions of mobiles for security reasons

Mobile phone operator in India has been asked to block mobile phones that does not have any valid IMEI from the handset. In turn, it has blocked millions of mobile phones for security reasons.

Millions of Indian mobile phones with no valid unique identification code have been blocked for security reasons.

The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number is a 15-digit code which appears on the operator's network whenever a call is made.

The absence of this number makes it impossible to trace either the caller or the phone or to access call details.

Indian intelligence agencies say phones without the code have been used in attacks by militant groups.

Personally, I think the mobile operator should have blocked it at the first place so they would have better control of it. But no, they allowed access to their network and got out of control.

I wonder what will happen to these blocked mobile phones? Yes, they did say they would add the IMEI to these phones, but I think it would be easier & cheaper just to get a new one and recycle the blocked mobile phone.

Anyone here from India has been affected from this?

[Via: BBC News Technology]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.