Changin the SMSC on the Pulse

Guest paulojreis

Guest paulojreis

Has anyone managed to change the SMSC on the pulse?

I have one from t-mobile, unlocked, and now I'm trying to use it in Portugal. For that, I need to change the SMSC... I did a search and found that I need to create a shortcut to phone info and then I would find a input field to read and set the SMSC. I managed to do that in no time but, when I input the SMSC number, the input field immediately changes the text to "Update Error".

Can anyone help me? I've read on the web that some people managed to change the SMSC with this method, but I can't. Do you think it could be the T-Mobile ROM locking the SMSC value? Should I change to any other ROM?

Thanks

Guest martinbrook
Has anyone managed to change the SMSC on the pulse?

I have one from t-mobile, unlocked, and now I'm trying to use it in Portugal. For that, I need to change the SMSC... I did a search and found that I need to create a shortcut to phone info and then I would find a input field to read and set the SMSC. I managed to do that in no time but, when I input the SMSC number, the input field immediately changes the text to "Update Error".

Can anyone help me? I've read on the web that some people managed to change the SMSC with this method, but I can't. Do you think it could be the T-Mobile ROM locking the SMSC value? Should I change to any other ROM?

Thanks

I had this issue and posted my fix on page 3 of this group. SMS service centre is the title.

The procedure is :-

Connected to USB using Terminal, (You have to have installed the drivers from the CD)

AT+CSCA?

gave +CSCA: "",

so I used

AT+CSCA="+447802000332",145

This allowed SMS to be sent, it also survived a reboot so it must have been written to NV also.

Change your service centre number to suit.

Martin

Guest paulojreis
I had this issue and posted my fix on page 3 of this group. SMS service centre is the title.

The procedure is :-

Connected to USB using Terminal, (You have to have installed the drivers from the CD)

AT+CSCA?

gave +CSCA: "",

so I used

AT+CSCA="+447802000332",145

This allowed SMS to be sent, it also survived a reboot so it must have been written to NV also.

Change your service centre number to suit.

Martin

Oops, sorry I didn't manage to find that thread...

That's great information, but can you post the details on how to connect using the terminal?

Thanks!

Guest paulojreis

Martin sent me a PM with the details on how to connect using the windows terminal, in order to send AT commands. I'll post the PM here, so that others can do this

I'm away from my system at the momemt, but it you have installed the cdrom drivers you should have a virtual COM port which is associated with the USB port your pulse is connected to.

Bring up Microsoft terminal program and select the com port associated with the driver, probably com3 or com4.

Then in the terminal window just press return key.

The phone should reply with OK, I think.

Martin

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to bump this, but I have tried everything I can think of and can't get text messages to work.

First I've tried setting the SMSC value through a shortcut to the phone settings using AnyCut. If I do that it says 'Update Error'.

If I use a terminal client I can issue the commands just fine and get 'OK' as a response, but the number doesn't actually update. If I issue another AT+CSCA? command it says "+CSCA: 012345, 012345", which seems like a weird value.

I've also tried to install the December update and superboot (in that order) to get root access, but that didn't help either.

I have no idea where else to look and hope someone can help me.

Guest paulojreis
I'm sorry to bump this, but I have tried everything I can think of and can't get text messages to work.

First I've tried setting the SMSC value through a shortcut to the phone settings using AnyCut. If I do that it says 'Update Error'.

If I use a terminal client I can issue the commands just fine and get 'OK' as a response, but the number doesn't actually update. If I issue another AT+CSCA? command it says "+CSCA: 012345, 012345", which seems like a weird value.

I've also tried to install the December update and superboot (in that order) to get root access, but that didn't help either.

I have no idea where else to look and hope someone can help me.

I took the phone to a technical store from my local operator. They used a pretty standard Nokia phone, plugged in my SIM card and, with the Nokia phone, they filled the 3 SMS profiles with correct SMSC values (mine had only one profile with values set). After that, I tried my SIM card on the Pulse and that was it: it worked!

They said that, possibly, the Pulse was looking for the values in one of the profiles that wasn't filled with the correct SMSC, so, try it out :)

I took the phone to a technical store from my local operator. They used a pretty standard Nokia phone, plugged in my SIM card and, with the Nokia phone, they filled the 3 SMS profiles with correct SMSC values (mine had only one profile with values set). After that, I tried my SIM card on the Pulse and that was it: it worked!

They said that, possibly, the Pulse was looking for the values in one of the profiles that wasn't filled with the correct SMSC, so, try it out :)

You sir... rule. My previous Samsung phone actually has 6 profiles. so I filled them all, however that didn't work. I then tried selecting another profile on my old phone and switching back to the pulse. It turns out I had to select the last profile (off course) before it worked. I also filled another field in the profile on the Samsung, besides the SMSC, that read 'Standard Destination' (roughly translated). On my old phone this would fill in a default phone number to send the text message to. I don't know if this actually made a difference or not, but it might have done.

Anyway... I can finally send text messages. I can't thank you enough, after reading about bootloaders, root access, AT commands and terminals for a week I was getting ready to sell the phone.

Guest paulojreis
Anyway... I can finally send text messages. I can't thank you enough, after reading about bootloaders, root access, AT commands and terminals for a week I was getting ready to sell the phone.

Well, been there, done that :) I also did everything, from anyshortcut to AT commands,.. after all, the solution was "that" simple...

Glad I could help B)