09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sewa0505

I've successfully installed this ROM, I love you and the ROM and all so much, can't belive it.

My system language (German) got deleted, but I installed "MoreLocale 2", and zabaammmm >.<, German it is!

On the other hand, I can't get the keyboard to show in German, which is a bit depressing (no downloads anywhere).

And the ringtones and wakeup tones got deleted. Could you possibly upload them to this site, because I love the chirping birds to wake up to :)

I know It's stupid and I can't imagine what it feels like answering to all those stupid questions. But you know, noobs like me don't change ;)

Thank you so much!!!!

I wish the possibility to install different ROMs would be more casual. More like a normal PC.

Guest giabbe1

Guys, what version does it show in "settings->about phone->model number" after applying the 1.2 MCR? Mine is "MoDaCo Custom ROM U8230 Edition 1.1": shouldn't it say Edition 1.2?

Guest Shuflie
Just updated mine and all good so far, but it there anyway to get the 6 home screens back?? 3 is good, but I could do with a bit more room :) .

Afraid not at the moment, that's the one thing I miss from the t-mobile ROM. For now I just add folders for games, tools etc.

Guest Nikki Locke

Hi Paul,

I think I have found some bugs in /init.rc in this ROM, so I would like to fix them, try it out, and then tell you about them.

However, I'm stuck at the first hurdle - if I modify my /init.rc and reboot, then look at it again, I discover my modifications have disappeared. Is the root directory rewritten from ROM somewhere on every boot?

So here are the problems I have found:

1) Someone has edited it with a DOS text editor, putting ^M (\r) line endings in some of the lines. This is just a cosmetic problem, as it still seems to work (why - most Linux shells won't allow this?).

2) There are two "service init" lines, one to run /system/bin/dropbear.sh, and another to run /data/init.sh. I suspect the first one should read "service dropbear" rather than "service init". /data/init.sh is never run on reboot, and I suspect this is the reason.

Nikki

Guys, what version does it show in "settings->about phone->model number" after applying the 1.2 MCR? Mine is "MoDaCo Custom ROM U8230 Edition 1.1": shouldn't it say Edition 1.2?

Mine says that also.

I think it was just a small overlook.

Guest flash2004

just installed this after using the tmobile stock ROM for 2 weeks.. and HOLY s*** !! This is fast !

Cant believe Android can be so fast !

Totally worth it :)

Awesome work Paul !!

Guest astuermer

hi there

first of all... a really great rom!

but, is there a solution for removing the damn magenta t-mobile splash screen at the beginning when booting the device?!

thanks & kind regards

andreas

Guest glossywhite

WHAT menu?... WTF?.

Okay, because the OP has made a terrible job of explaining all this for n00bs like me, this is EXACTLY what to do:

DO NOT USE THE TUTORIAL INSIDE THIS BLOCK - YOU WILL BE TEARING YOUR HAIR OUT FOR HOURS

=============== FLAWED TUTORIAL ===========================================

Original, flawed, geek-esque "tutorial"

Installation

To install the MoDaCo Custom ROM on your Pulse...

- Download this custom ROM from the links above and copy it to your SD card

- Download the custom recovery image and install as detailed in that post. Stay in recovery mode.

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- Select 'Flash zip from sdcard' and apply the main ROM

=============== END OF FLAWED TUTORIAL ======================================

USE THIS INSTEAD...

Translation into human-readable, non-assuming terms:

1/ Download the relevant rom from either of these locations:

How to check for the December update:

To check if you already have the December Update - turn the device off, then turn if on with 'volume down' and 'end call' held. If the build date is Nov 26 2009 or newer, you have the December update applied.

If not... the December Update is a requirement for this ROM - use the instructions below to update.

Download the update file

Unzip the downloaded file to a location of your choice on your computer

Copy the “dload” folder and all its contents to the root directory of your microSD card

Insert the microSD card back into your device

On your device select Settings -> SD card -> Phone Storage -> Upgrade

The upgrade process will give you several warnings which you need to confirm to continue - then press the Upgrade option to begin the update

As the update progresses you will see several screens along with a progress bar

Once complete you will see a confirmation screen, and your Pulse will automatically restart

Pulse WITHOUT December update: ROM FOR PULSE THAT HAS NOT HAD DECEMBER UPDATE APPLIED

OR...

Pulse WITH December update: ROM FOR PULSE THAT *HAS* HAD DECEMBER UPDATE APPLIED

... and save the ZIP (do NOT extract it!) to the ROOT of your SD card

2/ Download the recovery image pack from: (RECOVERY IMAGE PACK) and then extract it to a known location...

3/ === SEE BELOW ===

Put your device in bootloader mode - turn if off, then tap the powerbutton while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys

Connect the Pulse to your computer with the USB cable, and then:

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' [PRESS RETURN]

...followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh' [PRESS RETURN] (don't include quotes!)

- LINUX - Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' [PRESS RETURN]

...followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh' [PRESS RETURN] (don't include quotes!)

The phone should confirm that the bootloader was copied over, with white text and the number of bytes copied.

4/ Power off the phone - the way I did this, was to remove the battery.

5/ Whilst holding down [MENU] button & [RED] button (bottom right of the front of the phone) *INSERT THE BATTERY*, and quickly press the power button, and then let go of ONLY the power button!.

6/ Wait until you see the bootloader screen (it has a red flower/peacock-like logo in the background) and select: "Flash zip from sdcard" - acknowledge this selecttion, by pressing the trackball firmly in.

7/ Your custom firmware will now flash, and once finished, select "Reboot system now" and press the trackball again, to select this.

Now, isn't that easier to understand than the double-Dutch in the opening post?. :)

Edited by Paul

Guest Shuflie

Sorry, yours isn't really all that much clearer. If someone has decided to install the non-December upgraded ROM (for whatever misguided reason) following your instructions they really will be pulling their hair out as they will have absolutely no idea how to get into recovery mode.

Why does the calendar (and home screen) display text in French even though the language selected is English (in locale ) ??

After setting the locale to English, restart your phone. It should be ok then.

Guest flash2004
WHAT menu?... WTF?.

Okay, because the OP has made a terrible job of explaining all this for n00bs like me, this is EXACTLY what to do:

DO NOT USE THE TUTORIAL INSIDE THIS BLOCK - YOU WILL BE TEARING YOUR HAIR OUT FOR HOURS

=============== FLAWED TUTORIAL ===========================================

Original, flawed, geek-esque "tutorial"

Installation

To install the MoDaCo Custom ROM on your Pulse...

- Download this custom ROM from the links above and copy it to your SD card

- Download the custom

I followed instructions in Paul's initial post and it worked perfectly for the first time (I had a non-december MCR). If you read the entire post and follow the exact steps it should be ok (and simultaneously also use some common sense :)).

I think my instructions are pretty clear personally.

I did forget to update the build.prop from 1.1 to 1.2, oops!

I will fix the error in the init.rc as spotted by Nicki in the next build, it's largely irrelevant to most users though unless you wish to use your own init.rc..

P

Guest EvilGazebo
WHAT menu?... WTF?.

I think what he means to say is "Thanks very much Paul et al for all your hard work in relation to these ROMs and the site in general". Shame it comes out as "I have nothing of any real value to contribute so I'll knock everyone else and then try to look like a Hero (see what I did there? ;) ) by re-writing some perfectly concise and clear instructions in a much more confusing

AND SHOUTY WAY"

Now, isn't that easier to understand than the double-Dutch in the opening post?. :)

No, not really. And I'm a total "n00b".

N.B. New Year's resolution. Stop feeding the trolls............

Guest giabbe1
How much free memory do people have on their phone after installing this ROM?

I have 75 MB - is this normal, or a bit low?

Nikki

Guys, I don't get how u can have so much free ram with this rom. When I type "free" in the terminal I always get between 20-35 mb of free memory, and this when I killed all the processes with TaskKiller, otherwise it gets as down as 5-10mb when I have a couple of app running...

Furthermore, why does this rom run so much processes after booting? With the 1.1 I had none and it also seemed much faster to me than this, what has changed?

Guest Dan Mullen
WHAT menu?... WTF?.

<snip>

That's pretty harsh - the "OP" built the damn ROM! Rather than posting sarcastic comments like, "Original, flawed, geek-esque 'tutorial'", you could post a thanks for the effort that Paul has put into this and ask questions about anything that confuses you. I've come to realise that the vast majority of people on here are very helpful, but posts like yours won't get you anywhere.

Guest Dan Mullen
Guys, I don't get how u can have so much free ram with this rom. When I type "free" in the terminal I always get between 20-35 mb of free memory, and this when I killed all the processes with TaskKiller, otherwise it gets as down as 5-10mb when I have a couple of app running...

Furthermore, why does this rom run so much processes after booting? With the 1.1 I had none and it also seemed much faster to me than this, what has changed?

On my Hero I generally only have around 20MB RAM free at any one time. Personally, I don't bother killing apps manually as Android does a fairly good job of managing memory usage on its own. You shouldn't have a problem as Android will automatically close any old background processes that aren't being used if it needs to free up RAM.