09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest giabbe1
 He did not mean RAM but intern memory.

BTW. i have got 96MB free, after installing all my apps.

Now I see... Bue why should I be concerned with internal memory? once we have a2sd we shouldn't use any when installing apps, am I wrong? furthermore, has any of u experienced any issue with the touchscreen? To me it seems rather unresponsive compared to other capacitive screens I've had (eg: iphone, omnia hd).

anyway happy with the phone (I paid 100£ for it: unbelievable!!!!) and happy with the rom: big thanks to Paul and all the others who have contributed!

Guest Dan Mullen
Now I see... Bue why should I be concerned with internal memory? once we have a2sd we shouldn't use any when installing apps, am I wrong? furthermore, has any of u experienced any issue with the touchscreen? To me it seems rather unresponsive compared to other capacitive screens I've had (eg: iphone, omnia hd).

anyway happy with the phone (I paid 100£ for it: unbelievable!!!!) and happy with the rom: big thanks to Paul and all the others who have contributed!

Some apps will still take up internal storage space as they store data in /data. Also, the dalvik-cache also sits in /data - at least it does on the Hero - so that will also take up space.

Guest glossywhite

Apologies for my bluntness guys - the hard work is very much appreciated, but the original tutorial was very fragmented, vital details were missing and it was frustrating to follow.

The one thing geeks often forget, is that not everyone is a geek. Assuming prior knowledge is foolish - a lot of people coming here will want to install your rom, but I bet a fair percentage will leave due to unclear instructions.

I am not trying to be rude, but your tutorial WAS very confusing. If mine is, also, then feel free to fix it, instead of getting upset.

I consider myself fortunate enough to be one of the few geeks that can piece together cryptic data & instructions, and then translate it so humans can follow it. Just remember that you are teaching those who may know nothing much about computers - assumption is never wise.

Thankyou for your hard work - love the fact that i have rid myself of that ghastly tmob theme... it was so sluggish!.

No offence, but your post is pretty ugly and intimidating to a new user.

I'll re-read the instructions with my next update, see if they can be made any clearer. Maybe i'll make a video of the process for a complete beginner to watch first if they desire.

P

Guest glossywhite
No offence, but your post is pretty ugly and intimidating to a new user.

I'll re-read the instructions with my next update, see if they can be made any clearer. Maybe i'll make a video of the process for a complete beginner to watch first if they desire.

P

How is it intimidating?. All the needed info is there, in detailed form, unlike the original. I am not being rude, but you do need to greatly improve the readability mate - I am a hardcore GNU/Linux geek, and was confused as anything!. I am not trying to put down all your hard work, as it is VERY much appreciated, but you need to simplify the whole process a LOT, for the average Joe to be able to follow.

For example, as regards Mac & GNU/Linux users, you didn't even mention that they should press [RETURN] after initiating the shell scripts; maybe that goes without saying for us, but I have tought many people who genuinely didn't realise that it was necessary to press return after the command... and why would they?. I am under no illusion that my tutorial is by ANY means perfect either, but I am just saying that you NEED to put yourself into the mindset of a complete n00b, who has absolutely no idea about any Android stuff, and build the guide around enabling that person to successfully install the ROM - not a quick task, but very possible if approached from a level-headed and intelligent perspective - I know you will do it.

Some examples of lack of detail:

Installation

To install the MoDaCo Custom ROM on your Pulse...

- Download this custom ROM from the links above and copy it to your SD card <--- You may as well have just included the link/s, so as to save a scroll-up; sounds daft, but who wants to scroll up, halfway through?.

- Download the custom recovery image and install as detailed in that post. Stay in recovery mode. <--- Stay in recovery mode? When exactly?... You don't mention turning Pulse OFF after installing the recovery image.

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup <--- Again, you NEED to tell them to power on with [RED] & [HOME] held to get to the recovery menu to select this - I didn't know this, and maybe they won't.

- Select 'Flash zip from sdcard' and apply the main ROM <--- Maybe explain this a little more clearly, and refer back to the previous part of the guide, where they copied the ZIP across, to refresh the user's memory, and remind them of what this is doing - re-iterating over points is the way to teach people to remember, by repetition. ;)

I hope I haven't offended you - that is NOT my intention. I am trying to provide constructive criticism, so that future visitors can do this in a simpler way. After all, look at how Apple simplify things - a LOT of work has gone into taking the pain away from the user, by the developers removing ANY unnecessary and/or confusing elements from their products. Same applies here.

Have a fantastic Christmas Paul - I am sorry if I was a little over-zealous with my previous posts... I was just frustrated that I couldn't follow your guide - I am an intelligent and capable guy (as we ALL are here), and you must know the feeling of frustration very well. I won't give you THE worst example I ever saw... on xbox-linux.org :) - took me SIX HOURS to work out what they meant.

Take care B)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite
IMO, users who don't know they have to press return after entering a command shouldn't be doing this stuff !! :)

And you're the authority on who can & can't do ROM mods?. So how are people supposed to learn, unless things are explained thoroughly from the outset?.

Guest Downloaderz
- Download the custom recovery image and install as detailed in that post. Stay in recovery mode. <--- Stay in recovery mode? When exactly?... You don't mention turning Pulse OFF after installing the recovery image.

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup <--- Again, you NEED to tell them to power on with [RED] & [HOME] held to get to the recovery menu to select this - I didn't know this, and maybe they won't.

- Select 'Flash zip from sdcard' and apply the main ROM <--- Maybe explain this a little more clearly, and refer back to the previous part of the guide, where they copied the ZIP across, to refresh the user's memory, and remind them of what this is doing - re-iterating over points is the way to teach people to remember, by repetition. :)

I believe you were supposed to follow the custom recovery guide from there on, afterall the step is linked to the guide.

Merry christmas everyone.

Guest Dan Mullen
And you're the authority on who can & can't do ROM mods?. So how are people supposed to learn, unless things are explained thoroughly from the outset?.

To be fair, if a Linux user doesn't know that they need to hit <RETURN> after entering a command on the command line, I'd be amazed! I'd have serious reservations about recommending a new ROM to someone who is so unfamiliar with using a computer. I mean, there's verbose, and then there's VERBOSE! Where do you draw the line? How about telling the user that they need to hold <SHIFT> in order to enter a capital letter :)

Hello Paul!

I've been trying to make the ROM work all night, but after following the steps Nikki wrote(also doing superboot and nandroid recovery), I can't reboot the phone(didn't load OS after 10-15 minutes...). For the first run it was okay, but when I tried to switch the phone off and then back on, it stuck on the android logo, although the animation is running, so I don't think the phone froze.

Please help me, what can I do?

Should I do something in the recovery menu?

Did you try leaving it to run? I had that too, and I just left it for a wee bit

Hello Paul!

I've been trying to make the ROM work all night, but after following the steps Nikki wrote(also doing superboot and nandroid recovery), I can't reboot the phone(didn't load OS after 10-15 minutes...). For the first run it was okay, but when I tried to switch the phone off and then back on, it stuck on the android logo, although the animation is running, so I don't think the phone froze.

Please help me, what can I do?

Should I do something in the recovery menu?

Did you try leaving it to run? I had that too, and I just left it for a wee bit

OK, I'll try that. I leave it here for a wee :)

Thanks for the tip.

EDIT(14:32): IT's still stuck on the Android screen.

Edited by tido89

Heh heh, I'm Scottish, the dialect comes with that!

:)

(how ever, if your phone starts urinating, it might not be a phone at all, and you may be trying to boot android on a dog)

Heh heh, I'm Scottish, the dialect comes with that!

:)

(how ever, if your phone starts urinating, it might not be a phone at all, and you may be trying to boot android on a dog)

Now, I have managed to flash the ROM on the phone. However, I have problems with it :S. On the home screen, when I want to slide "out of the screen", the process terminates and restarts. Similarly, some apps terminate for some reason...

Has anyone encountered these problems?

Edited by tido89

Guest glossywhite
To be fair, if a Linux user doesn't know that they need to hit <RETURN> after entering a command on the command line, I'd be amazed! I'd have serious reservations about recommending a new ROM to someone who is so unfamiliar with using a computer. I mean, there's verbose, and then there's VERBOSE! Where do you draw the line? How about telling the user that they need to hold <SHIFT> in order to enter a capital letter :)

Although I partly agree with you, it is important to cater for those not so geeky people out there; not all people wanting customisation are well versed in command line syntax and operations. To leave it to the imagination, is a foolish move. People don't learn unless they're taught, and we were ALL naive and n00bish at some stage or other; conveniently forgotten, once said knowledge has been accquired!. I find your comment about telling people how to use the shift key a bit daft - you know very well what I mean. How can we learn, if not taught?.

This is what annoys me with a lot of tech tutorials; people are assumed to be either geeky enough to complete the task, or left out in the cold and labelled a n00b. This is snobbery of sorts, and should be eliminated by way of taking a little extra care to write a broader guide & cater for the not so technical amongst our society. Some people know very well how to use a computer, but may not understand the mechanics of what is happening, and why would they need to?. A person can check the oil in their car, without knowing all the details of why they should. It matters not to them what they are typing, as long as the tutorial guides them properly through the motions to the end result, so they can use the mods also!.

It is not for us to decide who is and who is not capable of doing these mods - why does this matter?. The decision is not yours to make; if they're not up to the job, then they'd leave (and you'd prob never know) but why not make it EASIER to do, for those who wish to, without making them feel as if they're stupid for not being a hacker of sorts (although being a hacker is GREAT ;)).

It is possible, and I think a better and much more transparent tutorial system should be considered. There is no place for elitism; we should ALL be made to feel like a part of modern tech (I'm speaking for "we" as-in society as a whole, not personally; I can fend for myself quite easily, but feel the pain of n00bism at times).

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite
If it bothers you that much, I suppose you could always provide your own Tutorial for Paul to add to the initial post.

"Bothers" me?.. :) I don't think "bothers" is the word, and I find you a little brush-offish in your reply; please tell me if I am being unreasonable in this assumption, though. I just think it a good idea for the masses to be able to partake in the attractive proposition of being able to de-brand and improve their handset, without first feeling as if they have to take a course in computer science; it's for the greater good - can you see that?. I'll help all I can when I have the time (I have a LOT of time! ;)).

Thanks dude.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite
Been using this ROM for the day. It's really quick, loving it.

Any chance of a re-purpler and re-blacker?

I really like that style!

Really? - you are surely a minority :).

Guest glossywhite
here is my logo

BLACKALiCE_Logo_by_GodlikeMcx.png

purple and black :)

Ah yes, but your logo is tasteful and artistic; someone ought to have a word with the morons who "design" the T-mobile branding; it is ghastly!. Also... what IS it with carriers who feel the need to stamp their logo ALL OVER THE HANDSET?!!. If I buy it on pay as you go, it is MY property, not their personal advertising space!. I don't appreciate having "T-mobile" printed all over my 'phone - it is SO vulgar, and just smacks of corporate insecurity; they have to plaster their sh*t in every possible location, to reassure themselves of how wonderful they are(n't).

Oh well - at least I have a Pulse - but I'd like to TATTOO "Owned by your customers" all over the face of the CEO of T-mobile, so HE knows who owns HIM ;).

Edited by glossywhite

Guest sewa0505

If your phone is stuck in a loop at booting (android or t-mobile - logo):

1.: Restart in bootloader mode (turn if off, then tap the powerbutton while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys)

2.: Connect to PC

3.: Install recovery image

4.: (Optional) Install Superboot

5.: Restart

6.: Send me the ringtones and alarm tones from the original pulse-package

Edited by sewa0505

Guest sewa0505

I have a very important question (at least i think it's important):

What do I do if i reaaaally messed up.

Or just for reasons unknown,

how can I restore my whole phone system to the way it was packed in - no bootload, no amon ra's recovery, just like "fresh" from production?

Not that I want to, but I AM a trial and error type, so working with ADB is scary.