09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest McSpoon
What do I do if i reaaaally messed up.

Or just for reasons unknown,

how can I restore my whole phone system to the way it was packed in - no bootload, no amon ra's recovery, just like "fresh" from production?

Not that I want to, but I AM a trial and error type, so working with ADB is scary.

Reinstalling the T-Mobile December update would erase any changes you've made. It will reflash the whole firmware. Restoring it back to how T-Mobile would sell it. The contents of your SD card would remain unchanged but everything else will be wiped fresh.

So if anything were to go really badly wrong (unlikely) you always have that final option of reinstalling that update. Although I wouldn't rush to that option straightaway but should you wish to, it would just involve placing the December update onto a SD card, putting the SD card into the phone, and power-up the device whilst holding the Red Key and Volume-Up Key. It will immediately install that update, thereby erasing every change you've made and the phone software would be back as if fresh from T-Mobile. (This is assuming it's a T-Mobile Pulse. If you purchased the phone from a different carrier then you'll need a different update)

I don't think anybody on this forum has managed to completely brick their Pulse yet.

It's not easy to brick your Pulse if you do things as written on this forum. I think the "only" thing that would brick it is taking the battery out while flashing or dropping a BRICK on your phone :)

Anyways, an IMPORTANT thing for Windows users: If you can't use the recovery image program in Bootloader mode(the blue one), you have to install the driver from the PC Suite.

1. Install the PC Suite. If you don't have the DVD, download it!

2. Go into Control Panel > Device Manager.

3. Plug in the phone to the USB while in Bootloader mode and look for an item with a "?". The name would be Android Phone/Pulse/Unknown device(I don't remember clearly, but you should find it easily if you plug in the phone while you're in the Device Manager)

4. Right click on it and click Update Driver...

5. In the wizard, look for the driver folder in the PC Suite directory(x:\Program Files\PC Suite\driver) and select the correct OS folder.

It now should install the ADB driver for your Pulse, and you should be able to install the recovery image or the Superboot from the Bootloader.

I hope this helps for some users. I found this information in another thread, but I think it should be here, too.

Edited by Paul

Guest talentliuyang

Paul,i did everything you write up there, but if i push the green button, it would be a "process shut down“ , i am from China, i don't know the exactly word in English.Besides, i cannt get into the market. Could you help me? ps: my phone is 1.2 ROM.

Guest sunny112

Guys...I'm having the same prob as some users here on the forum....I'm getting android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly even when doing basic stuff like browsing the canvas and replying back to a text. Any ideas on how to fix this?Ther rest of the modaco rom is perfect though..feels much faster than the t-mobile stock rom. Thanks in advance!

Guest sewa0505
Paul,i did everything you write up there, but if i push the green button, it would be a "process shut down“ , i am from China, i don't know the exactly word in English.Besides, i cannt get into the market. Could you help me? ps: my phone is 1.2 ROM.

I had the same problem

I would say you forgot to install the December Update (look at the bottom of the post).

Also, try installing the custom recovery image after you changed your rom.

I also wiped my phone the next time I changed my ROM, sooooo I'd say wipe your phone (in bootloader mode, there is an option to do a factory reset)

I had the same problem

I would say you forgot to install the December Update (look at the bottom of the post).

Also, try installing the custom recovery image after you changed your rom.

I also wiped my phone the next time I changed my ROM, sooooo I'd say wipe your phone (in bootloader mode, there is an option to do a factory reset)

The solution is a Wipe from the recovery image ;)

I had the same problem, but after a Wipe, it is working well :)

Guest sunny112
The solution is a Wipe from the recovery image ;)

I had the same problem, but after a Wipe, it is working well :)

Damnnn!! I've just wiped from bootloader and its loaded up the phone in french with another network's branding (bouygues?)

Please help!! Is there something i'm doing wrong? Just to recap, i installed the t-mobile december update, ran the batchfile on my pc and then ran the rom (1.2) installation from the bootloader...and just now wiped it for the first time.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Guest sewa0505
Damnnn!! I've just wiped from bootloader and its loaded up the phone in french with another network's branding (bouygues?)

Please help!! Is there something i'm doing wrong? Just to recap, i installed the t-mobile december update, ran the batchfile on my pc and then ran the rom (1.2) installation from the bootloader...and just now wiped it for the first time.

Just reboot, and the language should be set back.

If not, you can either set it to EN in Settings or download "MoreLocale 2" from the Market and set it to any language you want.

Guest demusss

Wiping your phone reverts it back to the french version that the rom came from, with French calendar and Bouygues home background. You just need to set your location back to english in settings>Locale & Text>Select Locale

Once you've done this reboot your phone for it to take effect.

Although I partly agree with you, it is important to cater for those not so geeky people out there; not all people wanting customisation are well versed in command line syntax and operations. To leave it to the imagination, is a foolish move. People don't learn unless they're taught, and we were ALL naive and n00bish at some stage or other; conveniently forgotten, once said knowledge has been accquired!. I find your comment about telling people how to use the shift key a bit daft - you know very well what I mean. How can we learn, if not taught?.

This is what annoys me with a lot of tech tutorials; people are assumed to be either geeky enough to complete the task, or left out in the cold and labelled a n00b. This is snobbery of sorts, and should be eliminated by way of taking a little extra care to write a broader guide & cater for the not so technical amongst our society. Some people know very well how to use a computer, but may not understand the mechanics of what is happening, and why would they need to?. A person can check the oil in their car, without knowing all the details of why they should. It matters not to them what they are typing, as long as the tutorial guides them properly through the motions to the end result, so they can use the mods also!.

It is not for us to decide who is and who is not capable of doing these mods - why does this matter?. The decision is not yours to make; if they're not up to the job, then they'd leave (and you'd prob never know) but why not make it EASIER to do, for those who wish to, without making them feel as if they're stupid for not being a hacker of sorts (although being a hacker is GREAT :) ).

It is possible, and I think a better and much more transparent tutorial system should be considered. There is no place for elitism; we should ALL be made to feel like a part of modern tech (I'm speaking for "we" as-in society as a whole, not personally; I can fend for myself quite easily, but feel the pain of n00bism at times).

all well and true but you cant expect "experts" to cater for complete and utter n00bs either.

you need to have a certain level of understanding before one should even consider dabling with custom roms and such.

simply put if you dont have a basic understanding of what is is you are doing you should not even attempt it. and knowing the expected result of a set of actions does not mean an understanding of what he/she is doing.

for example if someone knows the difference between the top and bottom end of a nail and knows wich side is the correct side of the hammer to hit a nail with you cant expect them to be able to build a simple wooden framework for a door. even if you would only need hammer and nail to build it.

another exampel : a car, you can teach someone exactly how to drive it. but without even a basic understanding of traffic rules and regulations(i.e. that a red light means stop etc) they still would be a bigger danger on the road then some 16 year old kid who doesnt know how to drive a car but knows the rules because he has ridden a bycicle and/or moped before.

Guest Dan Mullen
Although I partly agree with you, it is important to cater for those not so geeky people out there; not all people wanting customisation are well versed in command line syntax and operations. To leave it to the imagination, is a foolish move. People don't learn unless they're taught, and we were ALL naive and n00bish at some stage or other; conveniently forgotten, once said knowledge has been accquired!. I find your comment about telling people how to use the shift key a bit daft - you know very well what I mean. How can we learn, if not taught?.

This is what annoys me with a lot of tech tutorials; people are assumed to be either geeky enough to complete the task, or left out in the cold and labelled a n00b. This is snobbery of sorts, and should be eliminated by way of taking a little extra care to write a broader guide & cater for the not so technical amongst our society. Some people know very well how to use a computer, but may not understand the mechanics of what is happening, and why would they need to?. A person can check the oil in their car, without knowing all the details of why they should. It matters not to them what they are typing, as long as the tutorial guides them properly through the motions to the end result, so they can use the mods also!.

It is not for us to decide who is and who is not capable of doing these mods - why does this matter?. The decision is not yours to make; if they're not up to the job, then they'd leave (and you'd prob never know) but why not make it EASIER to do, for those who wish to, without making them feel as if they're stupid for not being a hacker of sorts (although being a hacker is GREAT :)).

It is possible, and I think a better and much more transparent tutorial system should be considered. There is no place for elitism; we should ALL be made to feel like a part of modern tech (I'm speaking for "we" as-in society as a whole, not personally; I can fend for myself quite easily, but feel the pain of n00bism at times).

My comment about the <SHIFT> key is about as "daft" as your comments about the <RETURN> key - the usage of both would be considered obvious by most computer literate people. My point is that, when you are dealing with flashing a custom ROM to an expensive Android phone, a certain level of knowledge MUST be assumed. It isn't a case of double-clicking on a windows executable file - entering the wrong commands could leave the user with a very expensive door-stop!

Guest h3dshot

right as much as i hate taking sides, the original guide by paul confused me to a point where i was about to break down and cry, glossywhite i actually love u so much right now, i was lost and almost suicidal at the point where you had just installed recovery image but then had to get into boot loader, then i read your post and found out u were not meant to stay in boot loader, instead you were supposed to turn off and then hold home and red key then power up!!!!!!

but thats not to say i dont appreciate paul and what hes done for us. glossy has a point for a total noob like myself these guides could be a little more in depth..

thanks again and guys lets try and get along hmm? :) i love being ghandi in situations like these ;)

Guest glossywhite
right as much as i hate taking sides, the original guide by paul confused me to a point where i was about to break down and cry, glossywhite i actually love u so much right now, i was lost and almost suicidal at the point where you had just installed recovery image but then had to get into boot loader, then i read your post and found out u were not meant to stay in boot loader, instead you were supposed to turn off and then hold home and red key then power up!!!!!!

but thats not to say i dont appreciate paul and what hes done for us. glossy has a point for a total noob like myself these guides could be a little more in depth..

thanks again and guys lets try and get along hmm? :) i love being ghandi in situations like these ;)

^ Evidence that my way of teaching works, and also proof that the OP's guide is far from ideal ^

You guys can argue until you're blue in the face, but that won't change the facts; we are ALL n00bs in the beginning, and need guiding through things gently. To arrogantly expect people to just work it out themselves, using this as a terrible excuse for the fact that you're not very good at speaking in plain English to people who are not as competent (YET!), is just being closed-minded and naive. Your choice though.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest lankyfatrick
^ Evidence that my way of teaching works, and also proof that the OP's guide is far from ideal ^

You guys can argue until you're blue in the face, but that won't change the facts; we are ALL n00bs in the beginning, and need guiding through things gently. To arrogantly expect people to just work it out themselves, using this as a terrible excuse for the fact that you're not very good at speaking in plain English to people who are not as competent (YET!), is just being closed-minded and naive. Your choice though.

other than the fact that your'e trying rather hard to prove a point and your choice of words are far from ideal in terms of being humble... i did need your guide to help me to get this installed.

thanks for laying it out in lots of easy to follow steps.

and thanks to paul for making all this possible. i love what i can do with this phone... cheers.

one of the few forums i have actually had to register on to say thanks.

what a community. long live modaco!

Guest jonathonf

Could a mod please trim this discussion to a new thread? It's got very little to do with the ROM.

As for the rest - topic please!

(And I for one found the original instructions precise and easy to follow. The hardest part was realising you had to take the battery out to get the phone out of fastboot.)

Guest Dan Mullen

Please excuse me while I prostrate myself in front of the world's greatest tutor :)

Although there are obviously people that find your tutorial useful, you also have the ability to annoy people with your bad attitude and choice of words. I doubt anyone would complain if you'd just started a new topic along the lines of, "I found the original instructions confusing, so here's a different explanation - hope you find it helpful".

I'm still not sure whether you're genuine or just trolling...

Please excuse me while I prostrate myself in front of the world's greatest tutor :)

Although there are obviously people that find your tutorial useful, you also have the ability to annoy people with your bad attitude and choice of words. I doubt anyone would complain if you'd just started a new topic along the lines of, "I found the original instructions confusing, so here's a different explanation - hope you find it helpful".

I'm still not sure whether you're genuine or just trolling...

Yeah, Nikki did that previously, and people who found Paul's simple instructions not comprehensive enough seem to have liked it.

Guest glossywhite

I apologise for coming across as hot-headed and arrogant - that is not my intention, and of course, would get me nowhere!. I shall try my utmost to create a separate tutorial, and upload it to my YouTube channel as soon as possible, and post the link here. There will also be a text version for those unable to watch bandwidth-intensive videos.

Thanks folks, especially Paul, for all the hard work you do for £0.

Guest Dan Mullen

I've spent most of today helping my brother mod his Pulse... put the vanilla Huawei ROM on, then the T-Mobile, style, then back to Huawei, etc... Anyway, to cut a long story short he has settled on the Huawei ROM, mainly due to the fact that you can choose to sync only particular contact groups.

All seemed to have gone well but apps wouldn't install. I fixed this by repairing the ext partition - strange as it was a brand new card and I had just repartitioned it. Apps do install now, but we still have a couple of issues:

1. Although I did a wipe before flashing this ROM, as soon as the first boot had completed it started downloading and attempting to install a couple of apps that we had tried on a previous install of this ROM. Now we can't get rid of those entries in the My Downloads section of the Market. Even installing and uninstalling the offending apps won't get rid of them from Market - they appear in the list with "Free" next to them, even after exiting the Market.

2. I added the WaveSecure addon for him, but every time he reboots his phone a WaveSecure icon appears at the top left but won't disappear, even when clicking "Clear notifications". He has to open it, enter his PIN and exit before the icon disappears.

If anyone has any answers to these two issues, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dan

Guest Dan Mullen
I've spent most of today helping my brother mod his Pulse... put the vanilla Huawei ROM on, then the T-Mobile, style, then back to Huawei, etc... Anyway, to cut a long story short he has settled on the Huawei ROM, mainly due to the fact that you can choose to sync only particular contact groups.

All seemed to have gone well but apps wouldn't install. I fixed this by repairing the ext partition - strange as it was a brand new card and I had just repartitioned it. Apps do install now, but we still have a couple of issues:

1. Although I did a wipe before flashing this ROM, as soon as the first boot had completed it started downloading and attempting to install a couple of apps that we had tried on a previous install of this ROM. Now we can't get rid of those entries in the My Downloads section of the Market. Even installing and uninstalling the offending apps won't get rid of them from Market - they appear in the list with "Free" next to them, even after exiting the Market.

2. I added the WaveSecure addon for him, but every time he reboots his phone a WaveSecure icon appears at the top left but won't disappear, even when clicking "Clear notifications". He has to open it, enter his PIN and exit before the icon disappears.

If anyone has any answers to these two issues, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dan

Ah, a partial solution for Q1... going to Manage Applications then going to Market and hitting "Clear cache" seems to fix it, although it's a recurring problem. That is, the first time we clear the cache the uninstalled apps disappear, but after uninstalling another app it's still in the list - it looks like a manual clear cache is required every time. I don't see this problem on my Hero - anyone got any ideas?

Ah, a partial solution for Q1... going to Manage Applications then going to Market and hitting "Clear cache" seems to fix it, although it's a recurring problem. That is, the first time we clear the cache the uninstalled apps disappear, but after uninstalling another app it's still in the list - it looks like a manual clear cache is required every time. I don't see this problem on my Hero - anyone got any ideas?

Did you do a wipe of your sd-card when going from the T-mobile rom to Huawei rom?

If not, your ext partition or dalvik cache directory might have gotten confuddled.

I always wipe the dalvik directory and ext partition just before doing a new install of a rom. Might be a good solution for you. So first wipe, then install the rom you want.

Always good to start with a clean slate.

Guest Dan Mullen
Did you do a wipe of your sd-card when going from the T-mobile rom to Huawei rom?

If not, your ext partition or dalvik cache directory might have gotten confuddled.

I always wipe the dalvik directory and ext partition just before doing a new install of a rom. Might be a good solution for you. So first wipe, then install the rom you want.

Always good to start with a clean slate.

I didn't specifically wipe the dalvik-cache, but I did a factory reset before flashing the new ROM and the SD card was freshly partitioned into ext/fat32.

I'm about to do it all again, will let you know the results.

Guest Dan Mullen
I didn't specifically wipe the dalvik-cache, but I did a factory reset before flashing the new ROM and the SD card was freshly partitioned into ext/fat32.

I'm about to do it all again, will let you know the results.

Well, after wiping everything possible, repairing the ext filesystem again, re-flashing the ROM and WaveSecure addon pack then rebooting, we got the WaveSecure icon on first boot. Changed the locale to English, rebooted and no WaveSecure icon - result!

However, just tried installing an app (Barcode Scanner). Got the message again that installation had failed :) It's also sitting in the My Downloads section but with FREE next to it rather than "installed".

My brother is pulling his hair out and I'm starting to regret suggesting he mod his phone! My experience has been with the Hero and I'm comfortable with that, but these issues with the Pulse have me baffled ;)

Edited by Dan Mullen