09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Dan Mullen
Well, after wiping everything possible, repairing the ext filesystem again, re-flashing the ROM and WaveSecure addon pack then rebooting, we got the WaveSecure icon on first boot. Changed the locale to English, rebooted and no WaveSecure icon - result!

However, just tried installing an app (Barcode Scanner). Got the message again that installation had failed :) It's also sitting in the My Downloads section but with FREE next to it rather than "installed".

My brother is pulling his hair out and I'm starting to regret suggesting he mod his phone! My experience has been with the Hero and I'm comfortable with that, but these issues with the Pulse have me baffled ;)

Right, yet another repair of the ext partition seems to have allowed apps to be installed again. We're still intermittently getting the Market cache issue, but he can live with that if need be. It's not ideal though, so if anyone knows a fix it would be great.

What are others' experiences with having to repair the ext partition? Is this a common thing?

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Dan Mullen

Guest glossywhite
Right, yet another repair of the ext partition seems to have allowed apps to be installed again. We're still intermittently getting the Market cache issue, but he can live with that if need be. It's not ideal though, so if anyone knows a fix it would be great.

What are others' experiences with having to repair the ext partition? Is this a common thing?

Thanks,

Dan

Put the phone down, and leave it until another day. A fresh mind will solve it faster - just walk away - take it from me, I learned this from bitter experience; the more you try, the further you will step backwards.

Guest Dan Mullen
Put the phone down, and leave it until another day. A fresh mind will solve it faster - just walk away - take it from me, I learned this from bitter experience; the more you try, the further you will step backwards.

I've certainly felt that way after 8 hours of messing about with it! :) We've left it for tonight as he can now install apps, so hopefully a fix for the Market caching issue will be posted by someone.

However, just as I dropped him off at home we noticed a further issue - various apps are missing from the Market! B) I know that this has definitely been an issue for some other people, so there could well be a solution already on this forum. Like you say though, probably best to leave that for another day ;)

Guest Casper-vH

I too am having problems with installing programs. It seems that every time I reboot I have to repair the ext partition. Otherwise it won't install apps...

Havent figured out a solution yet..

Guest Dan Mullen
I too am having problems with installing programs. It seems that every time I reboot I have to repair the ext partition. Otherwise it won't install apps...

Havent figured out a solution yet..

Hmm, we haven't rebooted since the last reboot/repair ext cycle... I hope this isn't the case! I didn't show him how to repair the ext partition himself!

Guest Dan Mullen
Hmm, we haven't rebooted since the last reboot/repair ext cycle... I hope this isn't the case! I didn't show him how to repair the ext partition himself!

A quick thought on this... I wasn't 100% sure whether or not the custom kernel was applied since the Dec update, so I left his ext partition as ext2. Could this have anything to do with it? If so, would converting to ext3 screw up anything?

Incidentally, I have an ext2 partition on my Hero and have never had an issue.

Guest gavinlew
A quick thought on this... I wasn't 100% sure whether or not the custom kernel was applied since the Dec update, so I left his ext partition as ext2. Could this have anything to do with it? If so, would converting to ext3 screw up anything?

Dan, my pulse (with no december updates yet - maybe a job for tomorrow) suffers the same problem with ext3/4 partitions and the inability to install apps from the market after a reboot (unless i fix the partition) - im not sure whats causing it..

This issue wasnt experienced on my hero , so leads me to believe pulse/kernel specific.

Guest Casper-vH

Im experiencing the same problems, and my partition is ext3, so that can't be the problem..

Guest Dan Mullen
Im experiencing the same problems, and my partition is ext3, so that can't be the problem..

Argh! Spent 8 hours today in total with my brother showing him both ROMs and installing, reinstalling, partitioning, repartitioning, wiping, etc... I really hope there's a simple fix for this.

If you're reading this Paul - any thoughts?

Same problems here on both EXT3 and 4, but with an additional twist - every time after fixing the ext partition the Market app would fail in one of a few ways (force close and server connect errors), so I would have to reboot and hence I could no longer install an app and would have to fix ext, ad infinitum.

I had assumed this was due to an apps2sd problem (don't know why?) but I noticed that the apps I did install made no difference to the size of my FAT32 partition, but if the EXT partition is only 512K (as set in the partition recovery settings) what is it actually for? Also, apps already installed still worked so it doesn't seem like the partition is corrupt.

Anyhoo, just gone back to the TMob December update at the mo and problems have disappeared. If it IS an apps2sd problem is possible to rebuild ROM with this stripped out - I don't think I would get up to 90Mb of apps installed on the phone.

Guest Dan Mullen
Same problems here on both EXT3 and 4, but with an additional twist - every time after fixing the ext partition the Market app would fail in one of a few ways (force close and server connect errors), so I would have to reboot and hence I could no longer install an app and would have to fix ext, ad infinitum.

I had assumed this was due to an apps2sd problem (don't know why?) but I noticed that the apps I did install made no difference to the size of my FAT32 partition, but if the EXT partition is only 512K (as set in the partition recovery settings) what is it actually for? Also, apps already installed still worked so it doesn't seem like the partition is corrupt.

Anyhoo, just gone back to the TMob December update at the mo and problems have disappeared. If it IS an apps2sd problem is possible to rebuild ROM with this stripped out - I don't think I would get up to 90Mb of apps installed on the phone.

The ext partition should be 512MB, not 512KB. If you don't want to use apps2sd, just get rid of your ext partition and it won't be active. You shouldn't notice any difference to the free space on your fat32 partition when installing apps as it's the ext partition that apps2sd uses.

The ext partition should be 512MB, not 512KB. If you don't want to use apps2sd, just get rid of your ext partition and it won't be active. You shouldn't notice any difference to the free space on your fat32 partition when installing apps as it's the ext partition that apps2sd uses.

Yeah, just realised it was 512Mb - case of RTFM I guess. So, if you remove the ext partition does the installation work? Before I partitioned my sd card Market was working perfectly..........

Guest Dan Mullen
Yeah, just realised it was 512Mb - case of RTFM I guess. So, if you remove the ext partition does the installation work? Before I partitioned my sd card Market was working perfectly..........

If you remove the ext partition the ROM will work fine, but apps2sd just won't be used.

Guest DarrellK

Firstly, many thanks to Paul et al for all their hard work.

I have a small issue with this ROM - it seems incompatible with a useful app called netcounter. This app keeps a log of 3g and wlan data traffic, but when used under the custom ROM/kernel, the wlan log stays at 0 bytes, the app is not able to detect wlan traffic. It works fine under the stock T-Mobile ROM. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on here? I suspect an incompatibility with the MoDaCo custom kernel, as I understand from the Netcounter web site that it obtains its data directly from the kernel, in the absence of an Android API for this info.

Darrell

Edited by DarrellK

Guest Dan Mullen

I have a small issue with this ROM - it seems incompatible with a useful app called netcounter. This app keeps a log of 3g and wlan data traffic, but when used under the custom ROM/kernel, the wlan log stays at 0 bytes, the app is not able to detect wlan traffic. It works fine under the stock T-Mobile ROM. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on here? I suspect an incompatibility with the MoDaCo custom kernel, as I understand from the Netcounter web site that it obtains its data directly from the kernel, in the absence of an Android API for this info.

Darrell

I haven't tried this app on the Pulse, but just for info it works fine on the Hero running MCR 3.0 w/MCK 1.9.1.

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hi what is the advantage of this rom release over the previous 1.1 rom, I am still currently on 1.1 and want to hold off until there is some major improvements. So what does this release bring to the table because if all it is, is a fix to allow it to install after the december rom then why not edit 1.1 or have an add-on for those people who upgraded to the December update

Edited by Richard_Arkless

The update from 1.1 to 1.2 was no big gain for me. It was even more work for me, because i had to wipe my Pulse.

My advice: Go on using ver. 1.1 and wait for a major release.

It seems loads more stable than 1.1, I no longer have to repair ext every time I reboot. And *cross fingers* I've not had it lock up on booting at all, whereas I had it happen 3 times before I moved to the 1.2 build

Guest Richard_Arkless

ok thanks 205er and giryan for your answer, I think I will wait until the next release to upgrade to

question aimed at paul, but anyone can really answer if they know paul personally to answer it for him

will future releases rely on the december update or are you trying to make the future release compatible with both parties

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest DarrellK

Darrell

I've found the issue by trawling the source code of NetCounter - for the Pulse, NetCounter is relying on android.os.Build.DEVICE to return "U8220" in order to set the wlan interface name correctly (i.e. eth0). This ROM sets android.os.Build.DEVICE to U8230. Therefore, the wlan interface name in NetCounter defaults to tiwlan0 (a la HTC). I'll make contact with the developer of NetCounter, the fix should be in there.

Darrell

Guest propellerhead

OK. So I have installed the latest MCR, but I forgot to make partition for app2sd. Is it possible to create ext3 partition now, or I should go to the entire process of installing and upgrading all over again (december update, amonrecovery, superboot, mcr)? Is there a pain-free way of solving this?

Guest dac_kufer
OK. So I have installed the latest MCR, but I forgot to make partition for app2sd. Is it possible to create ext3 partition now, or I should go to the entire process of installing and upgrading all over again (december update, amonrecovery, superboot, mcr)? Is there a pain-free way of solving this?

in the recovery mode you can do that

Guest JayC_uk

I have two family members who have bought Pulses and i have flashed MCR1.2 for them ( i have a hero myself (AOSP 2.0.1)).

They have installed barcode scanner and they can see the image from the camera, but the app can never read the barcode properly. It is going in and out of focus properly like it should, but never ever detects the barcodes.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks,

James.

Guest Richard_Arkless
I have two family members who have bought Pulses and i have flashed MCR1.2 for them ( i have a hero myself (AOSP 2.0.1)).

They have installed barcode scanner and they can see the image from the camera, but the app can never read the barcode properly. It is going in and out of focus properly like it should, but never ever detects the barcodes.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks,

James.

There was a problem a couple of months ago involving the pulse and the barcode scanner not detecting the barcode but Im not sure if it was fixed or not, I personally havent had a problem scanning it but it is a pain as you have to hold the phone really still to detect it