09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest JayC_uk
There was a problem a couple of months ago involving the pulse and the barcode scanner not detecting the barcode but Im not sure if it was fixed or not, I personally havent had a problem scanning it but it is a pain as you have to hold the phone really still to detect it

Thanks for the swift reply, Richard. Turns out it was just not seeing them properly in the light and holding them still can be an issue obviously!

all working fine now, except for one thing - all the results in ShopSavvy are in Euros! I presume the ROM still thinks its in France? any idea how to change - i have already returned the Locale to English but shopsavvy really likes its Euros!

Cheers,

James.

I've found the issue by trawling the source code of NetCounter - for the Pulse, NetCounter is relying on android.os.Build.DEVICE to return "U8220" in order to set the wlan interface name correctly (i.e. eth0). This ROM sets android.os.Build.DEVICE to U8230. Therefore, the wlan interface name in NetCounter defaults to tiwlan0 (a la HTC). I'll make contact with the developer of NetCounter, the fix should be in there.

Darrell

I've been using 3g watchdog without problems...any major differences?

Guest bounty123
That's fixed it. Thanks, Paul

Could you explain it shortly, what is meant under 'pushing' build.prop? I edit the file, then do a reboot or something else?

The entry needed is "android.os.Build.DEVICE U8220" or what exactly? Thx.

Guest Daniel Williamson

Just a couple of questions. Is this custom rom faster and more effecient than the stock rom, and also is there a way to backup your contatcs on your sd if i wipe my phone to add this rom on ?

Thanks

Dan

Could you explain it shortly, what is meant under 'pushing' build.prop? I edit the file, then do a reboot or something else?

The entry needed is "android.os.Build.DEVICE U8220" or what exactly? Thx.

The wiki has some information about pushing a file to the handset using adb: http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_U8220#ADB

I don't know for sure, but I assume you edit the file and then upload (push) it onto the phone using adb?

Guest DarrellK
The wiki has some information about pushing a file to the handset using adb: http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_U8220#ADB

I don't know for sure, but I assume you edit the file and then upload (push) it onto the phone using adb?

use the adb pull command to fetch the file to your PC, edit it, then use push to put it back on the phone. As an alternative, there might be a line editor available in the adb shell. Rather than reinvent the wheel here, all the info required is at http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/adb.html.

In the case of NetCounter, the property it looks at is "ro.product.device".

Jan - I have not come across 3G Watchdog, I'll have a look.

On a related note, is there a general guide out there to the Android OS (perhaps along the lines of compare and contrast with GNU/Linux)? The Android site's documentation is largely aimed at application developers rather than OS hackers.

Guest niko1986

I've been having alot of problems with this custom rom recently. Apps2SD stops working after a reboot, so i enter recovery and repair the ext partition. When i reboot nothing happens except the phone sticking on the first android screen; no animation. I remove the SD card and it will boot, someone mentioned it is do with the dalvik cache or something being corrupted if it wont boot yet will with no sd card in. The only solution is to then reinstall the rom again, which is a real pain to constantly do.

I noticed on the pulse wiki this whole issue is to do with apps2sd, even nandroid restores wont sort this issue out. I was under the impression ext4 was going to be a solution to needing to repair the ext partitions, only thing i can do now is not turn my phone off at all which probably isnt possible because android seems abit unstable after being on for over a week with no reboot.

I really appreciate the work Paul and everyone else working on these roms have done, is this a problem that is likely to be fixed or should i perhaps not bother with apps2sd?

Guest Dan Mullen
I actually have no issues with EXT4 A2SD... :)

P

My brother has had similar issues with his Pulse since switching to the U8220 ROM - if we upgrade to ext4 do you think it would help? I've read mixed reports from other users.

Guest topspinserve

If I did a Nandroid backup, and then upgrade from ext3 to ext4, would a Nandroid restore get me back my stuff (programmes and data)? I'm very tempted to give it a go!

Guest Dan Mullen
You can just do a EXT3->EXT4 upgrade without needing to do a nandroid restore afterwards, it's non destructive...

P

Does the same apply when going from ext2 to ext3?

My brother has had similar issues with his Pulse since switching to the U8220 ROM - if we upgrade to ext4 do you think it would help? I've read mixed reports from other users.

I tried with ext2, ext3 and ext4 and market failed to install on all of them after reboot. Actually, that may not be strictly true - I think this was when market caused the phone to lock up and then I would have to remove the battery, at which point installs would fail again, so I never got the chance to test this properly.

Guest DarrellK

Apologies if I've missed something, but after scanning through the likely-looking threads, I can't find the answer -

what had to be done to the MCK to enable it to boot on a post-December Update Pulse? Or to put it another way, what did the December Update do which broke the previous MCK?

Darrell

Guest DarrellK
I created a new kernel using the updated source posted by Hauwei.

P

OK, so what is running *beneath* the kernel which prevented the old MCK from booting after the update, given that the hardware didn't change? (some kind of firmware/hypervisor between the Linux kernel and the hardware? or just the bootloader?) I'm just trying to understand the architecture.

Darrell

Guest Richard_Arkless

You know it says

You must NOT have a swap partition on your SD, or it will refuse to mount.

does that only apply if you have created an ext partition or does it apply even if you dont have an ext partition

I wouldnt mind speeding up the device because its running kinda sluggish after I got the browser open or other apps

is anyone else experiencing crashes when trying to do the google sync? i.e. contacts, mail, etc... Have had to disable it for now as I keep having to Force Close it... [december update + v1.2 rom]

edit: Have changed to the t-mobile modaco 1.6 rom, that seems more stable for me.

Edited by twe

Guest gamer9

quick question - do i have to install the pc suite from the disc that is provided with the pulse for this update to be applied or will my laptop recognise the pulse perfectly without it?

Thx

Guest Dan Mullen

Quick one... My brother converted his ext partition from ext2 to ext3 and, after a reboot, he hasn't experienced the problem of not being able to install apps.

The only problem he still has is that when he uninstalls something from the Market, it always stays in his "My Downloads". He has to manually clear the Market cache every time. If anyone has a solution for this then that's his Pulse running Cupcake MCR 1.2 with no issues :)

Guest scoobydoo99

I've followed this thread since the start, I'm tempted to install the Vanilla ROM but most folk seem to report problems and I'm loathed to potentially turn my reliable Pulse into one with some bugs.

At present it's a standard unlocked Pulse with the December update using Vodafone - I'd like to remove the T Mobile branding and improve the laginess that the T Mobile software seems to be causing.

If I knew I could install the Vanilla ROM without causing any grief I'd give it a go - has anyone managed to do a successful installation of Vanilla and have a phone thats as stable and reliable as the standard phone?

Thanks

Guest xangma
I've followed this thread since the start, I'm tempted to install the Vanilla ROM but most folk seem to report problems and I'm loathed to potentially turn my reliable Pulse into one with some bugs.

At present it's a standard unlocked Pulse with the December update using Vodafone - I'd like to remove the T Mobile branding and improve the laginess that the T Mobile software seems to be causing.

If I knew I could install the Vanilla ROM without causing any grief I'd give it a go - has anyone managed to do a successful installation of Vanilla and have a phone thats as stable and reliable as the standard phone?

Thanks

I did tonight. Originally I had a Pre-december updated phone with the U8230 French ROM. What I did tonight was I applied the Tmobile December update, which brought me back to a complete tmobile ROM again (and formatted everything -- so BACKUP), then I applied superboot and the custom recovery image again. Then got into recovery mode and applied this rom at the start of this thread.

I then partitioned my SD card to get apps2sd working ... then restored all of my userdata (but had to reinstall of of my apps ... but they needed updating anyway).