09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

you can try first without wiping, but its better to wipe

if you want apps2sd, then yes

no, since the custom rom already includes root

can be created by using nandroid or bart in recovery

first step is to install the patched recovery image, then boot into it by holding menu+redENDcall buttons when you turn on the phone...from there you can backup, wipe, partition, and install custom roms.

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me how to wipe the phone please?

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me how to wipe the phone please?

from recovery (link I provided):

Wipe

• Wipe data/factory reset :: Wipe /data and /cache
  • Wipe Dalvik-cache :: Wipe Dalvik-cache both on /data and ext
  • Wipe SD:ext partition : Wipe the ext partition on your sdcard

Wipe

ok, I think I follow, I have installed the recovery image, how do I start the phone in recovery mode?

Thanks for your help

ok, I think I follow, I have installed the recovery image, how do I start the phone in recovery mode?

turn the phone off, then hold menu+redENDcall buttons when you turn on the phone

Guest channi3
Thanks, I did this but all I get is the blue screen with USB fasthost, Machine Id, Build Date and Serial Number info.

Yeh thats correct, just connect the phone to the computer and run the .bat file from the downloaded recovery image

Guest starkos

Hey, I was wondering if someone can confirm something about the dalvik-cache? Is it supposed to be on the phone memory or the sdcard?

In recovery it gives the option to move the dalvik-cache to sd, which made me assume it's on the phone, but I have both /data/dalvik-cache and system/sd/dalvik-cache (which i'm guessing is on the ext partition) so it seems like it's on the sdcard. Is this the same for everyone, and out of curiosity would it make things faster if it was on the phone?

Any feedback much appreciated :)

I have both /data/dalvik-cache and system/sd/dalvik-cache

the ext partition is mounted as both /data/dalvik-cache and /system/sd...

# mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (ro)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

tmpfs on /sqlite_stmt_journals type tmpfs (rw,size=4096k)

/dev/block/mtdblock1 on /system type yaffs2 (ro)

/dev/block/mtdblock2 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mtdblock3 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

/dev/block//vold/179:1 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow

utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8)
not sure why dalvik-cache wasn't just symlinked to /system/sd like app and app-private. I don't think moving the cache back to the phone will make it much faster...but you can try. EDIT: /system/bin/a2sd told me why dalvik-cache wasn't symlinked:
# bind mount dalvik-cache so we can still boot without the sdcard

busybox mount -o bind /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache;

Edited by Jan M

Guest starkos
the ext partition is mounted as both /data/dalvik-cache and /system/sd...

# mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (ro)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

tmpfs on /sqlite_stmt_journals type tmpfs (rw,size=4096k)

/dev/block/mtdblock1 on /system type yaffs2 (ro)

/dev/block/mtdblock2 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mtdblock3 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

/dev/block//vold/179:1 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow

utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8)
not sure why dalvik-cache wasn't just symlinked to /system/sd like app and app-private. I don't think moving the cache back to the phone will make it much faster...but you can try. EDIT: /system/bin/a2sd told me why dalvik-cache wasn't symlinked:
# bind mount dalvik-cache so we can still boot without the sdcard

busybox mount -o bind /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache;

Ah okay then, thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Hello,

Although I successfully upgraded my Pulse with 1.7 Vanilla, but !!! I forgot to take nandroid backup. If in future I want to go back to original T-mobile ROM, is there any way? Would updating simply with Dec update from T-mob website restore it to factory conditions or from SD card factory reset?

Guest blaze23
Hello,

Although I successfully upgraded my Pulse with 1.7 Vanilla, but !!! I forgot to take nandroid backup. If in future I want to go back to original T-mobile ROM, is there any way? Would updating simply with Dec update from T-mob website restore it to factory conditions or from SD card factory reset?

yes, updating from the december update should restore you back to the stock rom. although i cant imagine why youd want that!

Guest blaze23

ive got a couple of questions about this rom:

1) after installing this has anyone else noticed a strange hissing noise coming from the a speaker when not on the home screen I get it in most applications and it usualy goes away once I return to the homescreen.

2) when in a phone call, if I bring up the dialer, its the dialer from the stock rom, not the default android one. Is this a bug and more importantly can I use this as my main dialer as I hate the default android one!

Oh and sorry if my spelling is appauling I'm typing this from my pulse

Wipe

When I try to do this for the Dalvik or SD:ext ones, I get an error message telling me to run 'wipe dalvik' adb, etc. Any guidance about how to do this? Cheers!

Guest alex.tvr
Been through all the setps, December update, then copy new rom to SD card, installed custom recovery image, installed zip from SD card, but....My Pulse has rebooted at least 3 times since and just seems to be stuck in a reboot loop (in fact I've tried the wipe and install from SD card several times now).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Got it, it was the ROM zip file, my MAC had unzipped the file after the download and I'd just copied the folder and it's contents onto the SD card.

It's all up and running, much faster :)

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn't find any solution tho...

So, my pulse's(with MCR 1.2) touchscreen becomes unresponsive in cold. Why is this? Will the 1.7 version solve this?

Guest Shuflie
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn't find any solution tho...

So, my pulse's(with MCR 1.2) touchscreen becomes unresponsive in cold. Why is this? Will the 1.7 version solve this?

When its cold your skin resistance goes up, probably either because less blood flows to the extremities or you produce less sweat. I don't think a firmware update will fix that.

Guest _melchett

i'm sure there is an easy answer to this (noob) question, but i believe i have the apps2sd problem. I now cannot install apps, from the market and .... other sources :) ..... and i have read that i need to repair the ext partition. I have rebooted in to recovery (red end and menu) but cannot find where to repair this. Based on the layout in the first post of http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...on-your-device/ it should be in 'Wipe' but it does not appear there. Any ideas, is the app2sd issue still here for other people using 1.7? Cheers for any help

Guest starkos
i'm sure there is an easy answer to this (noob) question, but i believe i have the apps2sd problem. I now cannot install apps, from the market and .... other sources :) ..... and i have read that i need to repair the ext partition. I have rebooted in to recovery (red end and menu) but cannot find where to repair this. Based on the layout in the first post of http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...on-your-device/ it should be in 'Wipe' but it does not appear there. Any ideas, is the app2sd issue still here for other people using 1.7? Cheers for any help

Pretty sure its under the Partition sdcard section?

partition sd. I think.

Guest Jason Patel

I had the same issue, but now fixed.

I can confirm it is now located in;

|- Partitions sdcard

|--¬ Repair SD:ext

Edited by Jason Patel

Guest _melchett

Many thanks for all your input, it has worked. Its a shame that the app2sd issue still seems to be there. Are there any schools of thought for the cause of it? Its a significant annoyance but the speed of the new rom is something i don't think i could lose (and the fact that my internal memory free space is now 85mb rather than a continually dwindling 14mb). Heres hoping that 1.8 will have it fixed! Great work Paul et al.