09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

DON'T install an A2SD app from the market. It's automatic.

P

I did not install appstosd from the market, it came automatically with MCR1.3, and it gave the error as previously described.

I now tried fixing the APK UID's option from the recovery image, hope this will fix things? Next stop will be repartitioning

and reformatting the SD-card.

How are you clicking on A2SD then? There is no icon, it's all in the background.

If you have an icon, you've installed something!

P

Ah, that must be remnants of an earlier try couple of weeks ago. Have deinstalled it,

and am starting all over. I feel stupid.

Pfff not for the faint-of-heart, but it's a good way to learn how the thing works.

I now understand what adb is. I always thought it was an application on the Pulse,

but you need to run it from the pc. Haha, good to have a shell on the phone.

Guest Nikki Locke
MCR 1.3 works for me. Hmm I am in the wrong thread, but: how do I know whether appstosd has

done its work?

One way is to run the mount command (see earlier messages in thread) - if you have

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

in the output, that means your /system/sd and /data/dalvik-cache folders (where your applications are stored) are on the sdcard. Antoher way is to see how much memory you have free on the phone.

Although, looking at that on mine, I only seem to have 75MB. Is it possible that apps2sd has copied the data from the phone to the sdcard, then mounted the sdcard folder over the top of the original data, without erasing it first?

Just checked - rebooted into recovery, mounted ...

mount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

mount /dev/block/mtdblock2 /data

/system/sd contains a single, zero length file.

/data/dalvik-cache is empty.

Is 75MB free on the phone normal? I forgot to check what it was when I started all this!

df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 48.2M 0 48.2M 0% /dev

tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock1 85.0M 82.3M 2.7M 97% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock2 105.3M 34.0M 71.2M 32% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock3 20.0M 1.1M 18.9M 6% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 446.9M 63.3M 359.8M 15% /system/sd

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 446.9M 63.3M 359.8M 15% /data/dalvik-cache

/dev/block//vold/179:1

6.9G 1.2G 5.7G 17% /sdcard

Nikki

Edited by Nikki Locke

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hi if I follow the steps that paul made will it then completely wipe it or do I have to do something before updating

oh and a couple of questions

1.How stable is it and is it ready for an end user like me who all I want to do is use the phone

2.How much faster is this rom compared to the other custom rom that was released on the 26th november

3. I have already installed the custom recovery image ages ago when I installed the other custom rom, will I need to install this again when I install this rom or can I skip it

Guest helikopter
Hi if I follow the steps that paul made will it then completely wipe it or do I have to do something before updating

oh and a couple of questions

1.How stable is it and is it ready for an end user like me who all I want to do is use the phone

2.How much faster is this rom compared to the other custom rom that was released on the 26th november

3. I have already installed the custom recovery image ages ago when I installed the other custom rom, will I need to install this again when I install this rom or can I skip it

1. very stable. i restarted after 3.5 days (uptime of 86 hours) yesterday just because it started to get a little less responsive as some stuff stucked in memory. i'm messing around with my phone a lot and it never froze with this rom.

2. never tried the first MCR but compared to the stock rom it's much faster. and as this one is bare android without t-mobile's tweaks i suppose it's faster than the paul's first rom, too.

3. it must still be on your phone, but you can try anytime by rebooting your device in recovery mode and see what's happening.

Edited by helikopter

What are the chances of porting HTC's Sense UI to the Pulse? Anyone with this kind of experience?

None im afraid, the Sense UI depends on HTC closed source framework that is embedded in to their ROMS.

The only chance is to port a Hero / Sense UI Based ROM to the Pulse, and they can have significant issues doing this, things tend to break, ie wifi / bluetooth wont work etc.

Paul is there away to get rid of the reboot required text in the About Phone area?

Thanks!

only with a wipe I believe...boot into recovery, wipe all, reinstall rom

only with a wipe I believe...boot into recovery, wipe all, reinstall rom

Cool thanks I am awiting for a new SD card so when I replace the card I will wipe to see if it gets rid of the message.

Thanks!

Paul I only issues I have found is with the groups tab in the phonebook and I am having some issues with bluetooth handfree not passing though the audio.

But overall I think if I wipe my handset and reload it cought fix these issues. Thanks again!

I've the same problem over here. Is is fixed by doing a wipe?

Guest Nikki Locke
Paul is there away to get rid of the reboot required text in the About Phone area?

If you are feeling brave, you can always remount the system partition read-write, and edit the text (it is in /system/build.prop).

There is a nice file explorer tool called ES File Explorer which has a button to do the remount. Or you can do it by hand. I found out how this all works by looking at /system/bin/dropbear.sh - if you are familiar with shell script, that should help you understand how the message gets there, and how it is replaced.

Same here, does anybody know why I need to repair the ext2 partition every time I reboot? And of any way to prevent this? Or would this problem go when ext3 / 4 are supported?

Once EXT3/4 support is in the custom kernel, problem solved! :D

(this week)

:(

P

Grüezi,

First of all, sorry for my poor swiss-school-english :-)

I installed the custom kernel 1.1 with ext3/ext4 support.

I then converted my ext2 partition to ext3 in the recovery image, but the problem still exists...

I'm getting "Installation unsuccessful" error if i try to install an application from the market.

When i reboot to recovery and repair ext partition, installation works fine next time I boot.

But after a new reboot, installation fails again...until i redo a repair of the ext partition :-(

Any ideas on how to fix this issue permamently?

Thanks in advance!

dirom

Guest Perrier
Both working OK for me, can you download it now?

No. :D

It redirects me to the www.modaco.com site. Even if I try just the www.romraid.com address. What do you mean by "Both"? Is there another link? Could you please take it to an other host? The link to the Wavesecure add on isn't working for me, too.

Domain names are correctly resolved:

www.romraid.com [92.61.146.110]

www.modaco.com [94.23.156.158]

No. :D

It redirects me to the www.modaco.com site. Even if I try just the www.romraid.com address. What do you mean by "Both"? Is there another link? Could you please take it to an other host? The link to the Wavesecure add on isn't working for me, too.

Domain names are correctly resolved:

www.romraid.com [92.61.146.110]

www.modaco.com [94.23.156.158]

Are you downloading it in this browser? ie. the one that you have the modaco window in?

Which browser are you using?

The only time I've seen issues like this has been where a download manager's being used.

Guest Perrier
Are you downloading it in this browser? ie. the one that you have the modaco window in?

Which browser are you using?

The only time I've seen issues like this has been where a download manager's being used.

I'm using chrome but now I tried with firefox and explorer, the same happened.

Wget shows a http 301 error: HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently

I think I'll give the new google dns servers a try.

Guest Perrier
ROMraid has referrer checking. Unless you click thru from MoDaCo, you'll get bounced. Try clearing your cache.

P

Tried with cleared cache and with google's open dns servers but they gave the same address and bounced again to modaco.

Paul may I ask you to upload it to somewhere else, please? I can give you an ftp server access to upload it here if necessary. I could host the future releases for people with the same problem.

If you are feeling brave, you can always remount the system partition read-write, and edit the text (it is in /system/build.prop).

There is a nice file explorer tool called ES File Explorer which has a button to do the remount. Or you can do it by hand. I found out how this all works by looking at /system/bin/dropbear.sh - if you are familiar with shell script, that should help you understand how the message gets there, and how it is replaced.

Thanks for the tip Nikki plaining to do a wipe soon which I am told should resovle it when my new SD card comes.

I've the same problem over here. Is is fixed by doing a wipe?

The bluetooth issue seems to have fixed it's self when I loading on the Paul's new custom kernal. Might be worth a try.