09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Perrier

Download link still doesn't work for me, but I'd realized that I've already downloaded the rom at home, so finally I have it installed. It IS FAST! Much more faster than the stock t-mobile one. There isn't any magenta! Shopsavvy works! 3D games are running!

The only problem I've found is that I have to repair ext2 partition after a reboot (?). I've tried to convert it to ext3 with no luck. Have we got a fix for this?

Guest Perrier
Install my test custom kernel - http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-mck-for-pulse/ - for EXT3/4 support!

P

Thanks! Good to hear that there's already a fix for this. Unfortunately, the download links to romraid aren't working for me, I don't know why. I've downloaded the source from github, will try to compile it at home on my linux box.

Guest systemdamage
Thanks! Good to hear that there's already a fix for this. Unfortunately, the download links to romraid aren't working for me, I don't know why. I've downloaded the source from github, will try to compile it at home on my linux box.

Try to right-click, "Save target as..."

Guest Perrier
Try to right-click, "Save target as..."

LOL! I thought you are joking but tried and it really works! ;) After couldn't download using three different browsers, plus wget! Finally I've tried what you had suggested and simply downloaded the file. Chrome still gives me a download.htm which contains data from the modaco main site, then firefox downloaded it. Ahh. Can somebody explain this? ;)

Anyway, I've got it, so thanks!

Edited by Perrier

Version 1.1 now online!

Changelog

Added MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.1 with automatic compcache

P

If I've already installed the previous version of this ROM, and then installed your test kernel from yesterday is there any advantage to installing this one?

Guest Nikki Locke
Version 1.1 now online!

Changelog

Added MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.1 with automatic compcache

Can you confirm this has ext3 support, and can use a swap partition?

I ask because the root message says:

Includes version 1.1 of MoDaCo Custom Kernel, which adds automatic compcache, swap support, EXT3/4 support and much more!

- Fixed build.prop so you can correctly download protected apps

- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK

- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT2 partition as your second partition to use. dalvik-cache remains on device. EXT3 and EXT4 are NOT supported. You must NOT have a swap partition on your SD, or it will refuse to mount.

Which is self-contradictory!

Can you confirm whether or not a wipe is required when installing this over the previous version?

Can you confirm the statement "dalvik-cache remains on device", because mount on my Pulse says:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

Nikki

P.S. Thanks for all the effort you put into this, Paul. Small token of appreciation sent via PayPal.

Edited by Nikki Locke

Can you confirm this has ext3 support, and can use a swap partition?

if you look up in the test kernel tread you will find swap still isnt working properly.

in my case a wipe was not needed(i allready did a wipe before installing the ext3/4 supporting kernel from martinbrook but not after) but as always with testing and messing around:

Past Performance is No Guarantee of future results Results

as for the dalvik cache i dont know ;)

i have like 90 mb free space

Edited by snikje

Guest niko1986
How much free memory do people have on their phone after installing this ROM?

I have 75 MB - is this normal, or a bit low?

I have 82mb with the mcr 1.1 and the mck 1.1 kernel

did you say you have a swap partition? maybe apps are being installed to phone memory cos of it.

Guest Perrier

It's up and running. I have 100Mb:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 47.9M 0 47.9M 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals
/dev/block/mtdblock1 85.0M 82.8M 2.2M 97% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock2 105.3M 5.2M 100.0M 5% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock3 20.0M 1.1M 18.9M 6% /cache
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 446.9M 37.9M 385.1M 9% /system/sd
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 446.9M 37.9M 385.1M 9% /data/dalvik-cache
/dev/block//vold/179:1
1.3G 52.3M 1.3G 4% /sdcard[/codebox]

Ext3 used, kernel version displayed, able to install applications, it's fast and shiny! ;) Thanks Paul!

Guest brandt14

Hi,

I just installed the custom U8230 ROM V1.1 on my pulse, but I'm having trouble installing apps on the ext3 partition.

I did a wipe before installing the ROM, but when I try to install an app it fails.

The only way to install apps is to go in to recovery and select repair ext filesystem, but after a reboot it stops working again.

Hope you van help me with this problem,

Remon

Guest Nikki Locke
I just installed the custom U8230 ROM V1.1 on my pulse, but I'm having trouble installing apps on the ext3 partition.

I did a wipe before installing the ROM, but when I try to install an app it fails.

The only way to install apps is to go in to recovery and select repair ext filesystem, but after a reboot it stops working again.

How did you create the ext3 partition? The recovery image option creates an ext2 partition, not ext3 (and ext2 is known to do this).

Nikki

Guest Nikki Locke
if you look up in the test kernel tread you will find swap still isnt working properly.

If that is correct, what does

- Includes version 1.1 of MoDaCo Custom Kernel, which adds automatic compcache, swap support, EXT3/4 support and much more!

"swap support" mean in the above?

Nikki

Guest Nikki Locke
It's up and running. I have 100Mb:

Thanks for that. I have just done a du on /data, and it looks as copilot is taking 7.3MB, the browser 6.2MB, and K9 mail 2.5MB.

But if it is all dribs and drabs like that, I'm not worried - 75MB is plenty.

Any idea what "tombstones" is for?

Nikki

Guest Nikki Locke
Oops, will fix the description, EXT3/4 are supported!

Sorry to nag, but:

Message 1 says it includes "swap support", but later says "You must NOT have a swap partition" - confusing.

Message 1 says "dalvik-cache remains on device", but mount says /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache (which implies it is on the sdcard).

Nikki

Guest Nikki Locke
I used the convert ext2 to ext 3 option from the recovery image

Perhaps you have the same problem I did. I ran repair ext filesystem and fix package uid mismatches and rebooted - problem still there. I did it again, problem went away. Go figure!

Nikki

"Message 1 says it includes "swap support", but later says "You must NOT have a swap partition" - confusing."

Swap is supported. You will just have to use a swap FILE instead of a swap PARTITION. And if you're using swap, you're best using it as backing swap for compcache.

P