09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dac_kufer
I had the same, I repartioned and reformatted the whole SD-Card again. Also make sure you do not create a swap partition.

i partition my card in recovery console how can i do that to not have a swap?

After a couple of days use the only issue I have come across is the french calendar problem, it just wont go away though.

set your locale settings to whatever it is you want (and have ..english is my only other option) except french.. then reboot your phone that should do it.

did so for me when i had it.. though with the newest MCR my pulse was automatically set to dutch .. even though i have no dutch option to select in my locale settings..not that i mind having dutch at all just saying.

Edited by snikje

I'm very happy with my U8230 altough i'm still experiencing some problems with my bluetooth connection.

I'm dealing with this problem for a few days now. I also did a complete wipe, but that doesn't seem to be a solution.

The carkit (Renault Carminat) does pair properly.

When I receive an incomming, or make an outgoing call, the volume of my radio mutes also correctly.

But then the audio goes still over the phones mic and speaker.

Anyone any idea of what reason this could be?

This is exactly the problem I experience with the U8230 ROM. My carkit is a Parrot CK3100.

Well the strange thing is, that it did work with the original T-mobile ROM! Maybe it will be fixed in the upcomming 2.0 release...

Rolling back to the stock ROM fixed the problem for me. I hate the pink and the extra t-mobile rubbish, but the bluetooth functionality is more important at the moment.

Guest martinbrook

We did have to copy some files over from the original pulse after we went to the u8230 rom due to the phone rebooting when calls were made/received. It was the radio interface layer files from memory.

It may be that we need the BT files from the original pulse.

This is exactly the problem I experience with the U8230 ROM. My carkit is a Parrot CK3100.

Rolling back to the stock ROM fixed the problem for me. I hate the pink and the extra t-mobile rubbish, but the bluetooth functionality is more important at the moment.

Guest Nikki Locke
i partition my card in recovery console how can i do that to not have a swap?

You will have to remove the swap partition manually - there are instructions earlier in this thread (look for "parted").

Heyho

I just installed this ROM on my Pulse and now want to know what I have to change in order to get the A2SD thing working... ?

How do I create ext2 3 or whatever... ?

The other thing is: At first most of the language was german but after I changed it too english I can't switch it back to german like it was before! How can I fix this?

Guest jebbers
Heyho

The other thing is: At first most of the language was german but after I changed it too english I can't switch it back to german like it was before! How can I fix this?

Try downloading morelocale from the market. That app let's you switch the language. Switched it to Dutch for me.

Help. I'm in a loop with process.android.acore stopped unexpectedly preventing me from getting to the apps to launch Quick Boot and getting into recovery mode. So I can't restore my old image.

How do I get out of this? Can I get into recovery mode some other way?

adb shell reboot recovery

Sorry but I don't know how to use that. Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere?

//UPDATE - It's OK I figured it out.

Edited by -SC-

Guest niko1986
Help. I'm in a loop with process.android.acore stopped unexpectedly preventing me from getting to the apps to launch Quick Boot and getting into recovery mode. So I can't restore my old image.

How do I get out of this? Can I get into recovery mode some other way?

Go to Settings > SD Card and Phone Settings > Factory Reset

Should reboot to recovery menu, AFTER its wiped your phone. Happened to me before, I almost died ;)

Guest dac_kufer
You will have to remove the swap partition manually - there are instructions earlier in this thread (look for "parted").

can't find can you help me with link pls

Guest vinnyjones

Hey all,

I have installed this ROM and like all of you love the speed... Having an issue with applications though..

I currently have a 2GB SD card with an EXT3 partition of 512Mb and the rest is FAT32..

Initially I wasn't able to install Apps (i would just get installation unsuccessful), did a repair ext filesystem and fix apk uid and then i was able to install and use a few apps... However for seemingly no reason at all this stopped working...

I did another ext fix and then i was able to install apps, however they wouldn't run, i would see the app unexpectedly stopped message... Did another fix apk uid and unable to install apps now...

Has anyone has similar issues?

EDIT:

A few days ago i did another ext repair, fix apk uid's and everything has worked perfectly ever since... Don't really understand but hey, i'm not complaining... I've also installed the new Amon RA's recovery image and was thinking of upgrading the ext3 to ext4, has anyone done this and is there any benefit to doing this?

Edited by vinnyjones

Guest thinkscientist

Hello Complete Newbie here had pulse for about 24 hours,

Couldn't resist tinkering so last night I successfully installed this ROM thanks to Nikki Locke's instructions so.... thanks Nikki

anyways one thing I have noticed in when I go to android marketplace and search for an app on the HTC hero i can press the menu button to show preferences such as only show free or only show paid for example.

Why is that not possible on the pulse? Do HTC have their own version of the marketplace??

Also has anyone made any progress on multi touch with this device as that really does let it down a little. But overall very pleased with my pulse and also the modaco community, I hope you guys can provide me some links to get up 2 speed with the Android OS and tinkering ;)

Guest pholunix
anyways one thing I have noticed in when I go to android marketplace and search for an app on the HTC hero i can press the menu button to show preferences such as only show free or only show paid for example.

Why is that not possible on the pulse? Do HTC have their own version of the marketplace??

The htc hero is running android 1.6 (donut), which has a newer market place app than android 1.5 (cupcake) which the pulse is currently running. Thankfully some clever people are currently working on porting 1.6/2.0 to the pulse in the other thread ;)

Guest zoidster
- Download this custom ROM, and copy it to your SD card

- Download the patched recovery image linked above and install as detailed in that post. Stay in recovery mode.

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- If you copied the custom rom as update.zip, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip', else select the option below.

- all done

Feedback / feature requests welcome! ;)

Firstly , sorry for being such a noob ! -but I saw these "idiotproof" steps and thought "I could do that " ........

I get as far as step two .....

I Click on the .Bat and it does something followed by "OKAY" ... on the blue screen - good ya ?

.... And I can't work out exactly how I get from here , to a position where I can apply the update.zip i.e the bootloader screen with the options etc ? )

I have tried to search for the solution , but can't see it (I suspect it is something obvious I am not doing , so apologies to all for being a noob again !

Any tips ?

Guest giabbe1

can somebody please explain me this thing with swap: does this rom support it or not? I've seen Paul's message saying that we are not supposed to use a swap partition but rather a swap file. How do we do that? and how do we actually activate the swap functionality? is it running by default like a2sd? and can u please tell me if it gave u any benefit in term of performances (I mean the swap functionality compared to no swap).

Guest starkos
.... And I can't work out exactly how I get from here , to a position where I can apply the update.zip i.e the bootloader screen with the options etc ? )

I have tried to search for the solution , but can't see it (I suspect it is something obvious I am not doing , so apologies to all for being a noob again !

Any tips ?

Hi, not sure if you've sorted it yet but the way I got into the Recovery menu was to install Paul's Superboot as per this thread: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...cing-superboot/

This installed an app called Quick Boot, which allows you to boot into Recovery. I'm not very clued up on all this Rom business lol so there may be another easier more practical method (adb??), but anyhow that's the way I did it.. good luck!

Guest jonathonf

I'm not sure it's a good idea to mess around with the browser user agent. It's presenting itself as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; u; Android 1.5; en-fr; MoDaCo Custom ROM U8230 Edition 1.1, SSH password: hzbCCc Build/CRB17 AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

The bit I'm not sure about is including the SSH password in there.

This and the fact the locale is wrong (en-fr), though I'd imagine this is down to the source ROM.

can somebody please explain me this thing with swap: does this rom support it or not? I've seen Paul's message saying that we are not supposed to use a swap partition but rather a swap file. How do we do that? and how do we actually activate the swap functionality? is it running by default like a2sd? and can u please tell me if it gave u any benefit in term of performances (I mean the swap functionality compared to no swap).

I have the same questions ...

I have the same questions ...

currently compcache is enabled by default. (not the same as swap but the purpose to increase available memory is the same)

as for swap: yes its supported , no it wont set up automatically you have to create a swapfile yourself. yes it can theoretically run simultaniously with compcache(several reports on it being possible on other phones).. though i dont know if that is desirable (both slow down memory system as a trade off to effectively more memory) also swapping to your sd card will burn it down pretty fast.

benefit will not be noticeble when little or nothing is running but if your phone is on for a while and you have been fooling around with it you will notice the difference. constantly closing all unneeded apps to avoid running low on mem will allso negate most of the advantage of swap or compcache.

at least this is my observation from testing around a bit.

still cant really confirm if both swap and compcache work together though.. thats next on my to do list but since i have to work till tonight it wont be before tomorrow that i have the time.

Guest Nikki Locke
I'm not sure it's a good idea to mess around with the browser user agent. It's presenting itself as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; u; Android 1.5; en-fr; MoDaCo Custom ROM U8230 Edition 1.1, SSH password: hzbCCc Build/CRB17 AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

The bit I'm not sure about is including the SSH password in there.

This and the fact the locale is wrong (en-fr), though I'd imagine this is down to the source ROM.

Oops - I guess it must get part of user agent from ro.product.model in /system/build.prop.

Once you have noted down the password, I suggest you remount system as rw, and edit build.prop to take out the password!

I guess Paul should change /system/bin/dropbear.sh to put the password somewhere else in future.

Nikki