A simple procedure to dump a ROM

Guest kibiwi

What you need to accomplish this procedure:

Pako777’s i900_EXEcutor v 2.4 (thank you Pako for the great effort, much appreciated!);

Winhex full version (thank you sorg for precious hints).

Here are the instructions:

First we have to get the louvre.mli file from the device (which contains the pda and eboot part). To accomplish that:

1) disconnect the device from PC;

2) go to settings/general settings/USB connection and switch to Mass Storage mode with "My Storage" selected;

3) connect the device to PC. PC will find a new disk. This disk has 2 partition. One is normal and visible (where you probably saved some stuff) and another is hidden.

4) open WinHex, click on Tools>Open Disk, select Removable Medium 6 (1.9 GB, USB) and click ok.

Then access the hidden partition with 512 mb size (tipically partition 2) by double clicking on it. You should see a big file with the name louvre.mli. Right click on it and select recover/copy, then select where to copy the file.

Once you have extracted the louvre.mli file open pako’s executor go to the tools tab and press the MLI button, select the louvre file by browsing through the folder where you saved it. Select model b7610 in the drop-down menu then press go button.

That’s it you should have now two files eb0 (eboot part) and nb0 (pda part) which are flashable with Octans like explained in the I8000 forum.

I recommend you not to flash the eboot part because if something goes wrong you brick your phone.

With this procedure you can recover your device original rom even if you haven't dumped it only if you have never flashed a mst file, but only nb0 files.

Verify the pda version you have going to start/settings/advanced (right tab)/system/version/device/pda ver. The last 3 letters show from left to right the year, the month and the release number.

I share this procedure with you in order to give the community last samsung released roms so if you have a rom more up to date than IL2 for wm 6.5 or II1 for wm 6.1 then please share it here!(post it or contact me with pm)

Finally I remember you as ever:

I'm not responsible for any damages/bricks caused by this procedure. You're accomplishing it totally at your own risk!

Pako777’s i900_EXEcutor v 2.4 http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general.../i900-executor/

Winhex site http://www.winhex.com/winhex/

ps: For all who don't want to buy a Winhex license you can follow this guide from Maeffy1. Thanks Maeffy!

Edited by kibiwi

nice and really helpful tutorial, I created a backup of my original ROM this way so I could always go back...

hope help other guys like you to downgrade or to dump new samsung's released rom so other people can enjoy those upgrades... :D

Edited by kibiwi

hope help other guys like you to downgrade or to dump new samsung's released rom so other people can enjoy those upgrades... :D

did anybody make a dump from german fone with wm6.1? or could anybody do it please? i updated mine to wm6.5 (sec) and now want to go back to wm6.1 but didn't make a backup of original rom.

i know, stupid. but ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome post kibiwi! A couple of questions:

- Does this backup, when restored, will recover the functionality of the "Change Language" feature that reflashes the ROM with the information in the hidden partition? Or need to backup the whole partition then? Any way to do it?

- Also, there isn't a know way to backup the CSC and / or Phone part, right?

Awesome post kibiwi! A couple of questions:

- Does this backup, when restored, will recover the functionality of the "Change Language" feature that reflashes the ROM with the information in the hidden partition? Or need to backup the whole partition then? Any way to do it?

- Also, there isn't a know way to backup the CSC and / or Phone part, right?

1- With this procedure you don't flash the hidden partition so if you change language you go back to the original phone rom or last mst rom you flashed...

2- So far I don't know of any procedure to back up the csc or phone part directly from the device

Hope I was clear :D

1- With this procedure you don't flash the hidden partition so if you change language you go back to the original phone rom or last mst rom you flashed...

2- So far I don't know of any procedure to back up the csc or phone part directly from the device

Hope I was clear :D

Thanks kibiwi!

1) So, couldn't the whole partition be backup and then be able to restore, even after a MST flash?

2) I'm safe to assume that this will work and be assured that I can recover these files in the future, if my phone is an I8000L? I ask because this is posted in the B7610 :D and also, I pretty sure I should pick "i8000" as the model, although it's an i8000L and although you said to pick a different model in your instructions, right?

Thanks again man!!!

"Then access the hidden partition with 512 mb size (tipically partition 2) by double clicking on it. You should see a big file with the name louvre.mli. Right

click on it and select recover/copy, then select where to copy the file."

Where is this? I don't see a way to access this partition using WinHex 15.1. Double clic

king where???

EDIT: Nevermind. My copy of WinHex was bugged and didn't show hardware drives, only logical units.

Now I got to recover the file, but instead of louvre.mli it was named Cubi37.mli. I've seen that name in the Maeffy1's thread, so I assume the different name is because this is a different model? But the same procedure would apply, right?

Please, if you know, let me know :D

Edited by Guest

"Then access the hidden partition with 512 mb size (tipically partition 2) by double clicking on it. You should see a big file with the name louvre.mli. Right

click on it and select recover/copy, then select where to copy the file."

Where is this? I don't see a way to access this partition using WinHex 15.1. Double clic

king where???

EDIT: Nevermind. My copy of WinHex was bugged and didn't show hardware drives, only logical units.

Now I got to recover the file, but instead of louvre.mli it was named Cubi37.mli. I've seen that name in the Maeffy1's thread, so I assume the different name is because this is a different model? But the same procedure would apply, right?

Please, if you know, let me know :D

you are right for i8000 the file is cubi37 for b7610 louvre but the procedure is completely the same...

OK then, thank you very much!

Just one last thing I'm wondering. Is it actually possible to make a MST backup so to even save the LANGPACKS and be able to restore everything, including the functionality of the original ROM to change languages? I know that as long as I flash nb0 that wouldn't be overwritten, but just in case some day I have to flash a MST file.

Oh, and out of curiosity, have somebody tried deleting the partition and merging that free space with the visible partition, to gain ~512MB of space?

OK then, thank you very much!

Just one last thing I'm wondering. Is it actually possible to make a MST backup so to even save the LANGPACKS and be able to restore everything, including the functionality of the original ROM to change languages? I know that as long as I flash nb0 that wouldn't be overwritten, but just in case some day I have to flash a MST file.

Oh, and out of curiosity, have somebody tried deleting the partition and merging that free space with the visible partition, to gain ~512MB of space?

no tried backup the hidden partition but you can with a software which can grab an image of the disk...no tried again but I think it's possible to format the disk without partition...

no tried backup the hidden partition but you can with a software which can grab an image of the disk...no tried again but I think it's possible to format the disk without partition...

And do you think that if I restore the hidden partition, let's say, after I've overwritten it with another ROM (MST), and go to use the "Change Language" feature, it would work and reflash my original ROM?

And do you think that if I restore the hidden partition, let's say, after I've overwritten it with another ROM (MST), and go to use the "Change Language" feature, it would work and reflash my original ROM?

I can't assure anything anyway in theory it could work...but I repeat this is theory...and remember in this change of language is implied to flash a new eboot which can brick your phone if corrupted so I would be careful :(

Edited by kibiwi

• 2 weeks later...

Have anyone tried downgrading back to an Eboot image made from this procedure? How did it go? Will it be safe if I ever need to downgrade it to my own backup?

• 3 months later...
Guest kibiwi
want to know how to dump csc and phone.bin so that i have all the backup

Wes on the I8000 forum has developed a software to dump the csc file from the phone, the phone firmware can't be dumped so far... :lol: