Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Hi Keramindas,

Titanium back up is one of my top 5 android applications I am using, I voted for other and I am not sure if this has been addressed as frankly I did not have the courage to read all 22 pages of this thread ....... The feature I can suggest (I dont know if its a legitimate request, pardon me if it is'nt) is being able to take the back and restore without the root access. The problem I am facing is that I took the backup when I had a rooted 2.1 with me, and I upgraded to OTA 2.2, which I am loving (better than custom rom), but i can not get my setting and applications back as I cannot run Titanium on OTA 2.2 Froyo, and believe me there were zillions of apps I was using with 2.1. I dont even remember them, nor took any other back up as such ...........

Can you help me out of this situation, as 2.2 OTS rooting is nowhere to be seen in recent times ....... and I am stuck with a bare bone phone with me ........Any help would be appreciated .....

Guest Keramidas
Hi Keramindas,

Titanium back up is one of my top 5 android applications I am using, I voted for other and I am not sure if this has been addressed as frankly I did not have the courage to read all 22 pages of this thread ....... The feature I can suggest (I dont know if its a legitimate request, pardon me if it is'nt) is being able to take the back and restore without the root access. The problem I am facing is that I took the backup when I had a rooted 2.1 with me, and I upgraded to OTA 2.2, which I am loving (better than custom rom), but i can not get my setting and applications back as I cannot run Titanium on OTA 2.2 Froyo, and believe me there were zillions of apps I was using with 2.1. I dont even remember them, nor took any other back up as such ...........

Can you help me out of this situation, as 2.2 OTS rooting is nowhere to be seen in recent times ....... and I am stuck with a bare bone phone with me ........Any help would be appreciated .....

Hi,

It's correct that TitaniumBackup cannot restore anything without root access. It's technically impossible to restore app data and market links without root access.

What you could do, is backup your apps *without* compression in TitaniumBackup. You'll need to delete your backups and do them again, otherwise the existing compressed apk files are preserved across backups.

Once it's done, you'll have a bunch of apk files in the TitaniumBackup folder (on your SD card) that you can restore manually (using a file explorer app) on any Rom. But there's not much point in using TitaniumBackup for making these backups in that case. Only advantage (compared to non-root app backup tools) is that you don't lose the protected apps.

^^ mmmm Thats seems to be a long and tedious procedure ....... Guess I have to wait for 2.2 be rooted, till then I will just tag along ...... any new on developers working on rooting 2.2 ..........

Thanks anyway, what the best alternative to Titanium to run on Official 2.2 to take my back up once I fill up the phone all over again .....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AndyCr15

Is this a good place to ask how the 'Sync to DropBox' works? Does it literally just sync the TB folder on your SD with DropBox?

I was thinking it might be good to be able to select target when selecting which apps to backup/restore, in case people are space/bandwidth limited? You could restore 'real time' from DropBox maybe? :-)

Still, I love the addition, thanks :lol:

Guest Keramidas
Is this a good place to ask how the 'Sync to DropBox' works? Does it literally just sync the TB folder on your SD with DropBox?

I was thinking it might be good to be able to select target when selecting which apps to backup/restore, in case people are space/bandwidth limited? You could restore 'real time' from DropBox maybe? :-)

Still, I love the addition, thanks :lol:

Hi,

The sync is only one-way for now. You can choose either to sync everything, or just a set of custom labels. So it doesn't just sync the whole folder blindly :-)

I'll improve it over time... but I'm not certain whether a "direct restore from Dropbox" would be reliable enough. We'll see :-)

Guest AndyCr15
The sync is only one-way for now.

It won't download them if I wipe my SD and press to sync?

**EDIT**

Also, how does the 'create' an update.zip work? Will it zip up all my installed apps letting me re-install them after a change of ROM with just an update in recovery?

Edited by AndyCr15

Guest Keramidas
It won't download them if I wipe my SD and press to sync?

**EDIT**

Also, how does the 'create' an update.zip work? Will it zip up all my installed apps letting me re-install them after a change of ROM with just an update in recovery?

No, it won't download them for now. In case of SD card disaster, you need to download the whole folder to your pc and move it to the SD card. I'll work on that :-)

The update.zip only contains the TitaniumBackup apk, for now. It's easy to include apps in an update.zip, but app data and market links are much more difficult. It's in the wish list however.

Hands down, one of the best android apps I've ever used! :lol:

I'm having a very small problem on my HTC Desire (2.2 using Leedroid 2.1a) with the latest version (3.5.0)

Whenever I select a batch scenario, clicking on "run" does not display the list correctly, like this:

IMAGE_392.jpg

However, if I turn the phone in landscape mode, lists show correctly, example here:

IMAGE_393.jpg

It does not affect the app's use at all, it's more like a very small bug. I don't know if this is possibly a bug of the Greek translation of Titanium. Anyone else facing this? B)

Guest Keramidas

Hmm, yes indeed this is a "too long string" in the Greek translation. If you have a few minutes of your time, would you mind going to:

http://crowdin.net/project/titanium-backup

You can register (it's free) and shorten the string that is too long. If you want to be notified of translation updates, just follow @TitaniumBackup on twitter :lol:

Hmm, yes indeed this is a "too long string" in the Greek translation. If you have a few minutes of your time, would you mind going to:

http://crowdin.net/project/titanium-backup

You can register (it's free) and shorten the string that is too long. If you want to be notified of translation updates, just follow @TitaniumBackup on twitter :lol:

Thanks for the reply, I'm on it B)

Any hints on how I can find the string? It's probably those two checkboxes, right?

Guest Keramidas
Thanks for the reply, I'm on it B)

Any hints on how I can find the string? It's probably those two checkboxes, right?

In fact the length problem is serious. There are *3* choices. In English they are: "App+Data", "App only", "Data only". You can find when by sorting alphabetically A->Z.

It's hard to make the text automatically wrap to the next line, it's one problem with Android layout. So I'm afraid you'd have to abbreviate the strings *a lot*. Well, at least the 3 strings must fit in landscape mode, otherwise the 3rd option is impossible to choose :lol:

If you make modifications to the translation today, you can see the effects in the test build tomorrow. Thanks again !

In fact the length problem is serious. There are *3* choices. In English they are: "App+Data", "App only", "Data only". You can find when by sorting alphabetically A->Z.

It's hard to make the text automatically wrap to the next line, it's one problem with Android layout. So I'm afraid you'd have to abbreviate the strings *a lot*. Well, at least the 3 strings must fit in landscape mode, otherwise the 3rd option is impossible to choose :lol:

If you make modifications to the translation today, you can see the effects in the test build tomorrow. Thanks again !

Well I just changed the "kill active apps" and "exlude active apps" translations for now, as you can see on the first image I posted, looks like the "exclude active apps" translation takes three rows! (look at the three white dots below the select button) so maybe that's causing the problem B)

I'm also giving a go at some other translations which although correct, they're using excessive words B)

Guest Keramidas
Well I just changed the "kill active apps" and "exlude active apps" translations for now, as you can see on the first image I posted, looks like the "exclude active apps" translation takes three rows! (look at the three white dots below the select button) so maybe that's causing the problem :lol:

I'm also giving a go at some other translations which although correct, they're using excessive words B)

Thank you for helping improve the quality of translations!

By the way, when there is enough space, please don't shorten things too much. You can use the English or French language as a reference for the lengths B)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Keramidas
What is wrong when I can't see newly installed applications in TB's list?

Thanks

Hi,

The list doesn't auto-refresh yet. Did you try MENU -> Reload apps list?

Guest MaToNeo
Hi,

The list doesn't auto-refresh yet. Did you try MENU -> Reload apps list?

Hi,

yes I did. I even tried to uninstall and install TB again, tried to delete caches (dalvik, cache partition)... Nothing helped.

Guest Keramidas
Hi,

yes I did. I even tried to uninstall and install TB again, tried to delete caches (dalvik, cache partition)... Nothing helped.

Do you see all other apps normally? This is very strange. Please try hitting the "Problems?" button just in case...

Guest MaToNeo
Do you see all other apps normally? This is very strange. Please try hitting the "Problems?" button just in case...

In Andoid settings->Applications I can see all installed apps, but in TB list (filter All/User) I see only previously installed. It seems I can't see any apps installed since last backup.

I suppose I have BusyBox version compatible with Titanium Backup installed in system partition with custom ROM (FLB 1.7). I'm not sure if hitting Problems button is appropriate in this case.

Edited by MaToNeo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Albert Poon

Hey Keramidas,

I am not sure when but recently TB cannot uninstall apps for my Desire running on MCR R9. It just loop on Un-installing: "[App Name]" with the icon keep circling. I can use the stock apps manager to uninstall apps however. Please take a look...

Regards,

Albert

Guest Keramidas
Hey Keramidas,

I am not sure when but recently TB cannot uninstall apps for my Desire running on MCR R9. It just loop on Un-installing: "[App Name]" with the icon keep circling. I can use the stock apps manager to uninstall apps however. Please take a look...

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert,

Could you try to set the "Apps processing mode" to "AUTO, Indirect" ?

Guest Albert Poon
Hi Albert,

Could you try to set the "Apps processing mode" to "AUTO, Indirect" ?

Tried, and it works finally. Thanks!!!

p.s. Both AUTO Direct and Interactive mode aren't working.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having trouble flashing the "Update.zip"

I've tried signed and unsigned using Amon RA Recovery 2.0 with the last few versions of TB Pro on a nexus one, this has been with several different ROMs, lately I've been using the CM nightlies.

Shortly after the progress bar starts moving, it aborts with the message:

E:Failure at line 2:

copy_dir PACKAGE:data DATA:

Installation aborted.

Edited by J.L.C.

• 1 month later...
Guest ololizoz

Hello, can this software give me market links when i do a backup? I'm flashing a new rom and I want market links so that I can update my apps later from Market. Is this possible?

• 1 month later...
Guest azsl1326

Hello,

I just installed the latest version of TB on my rooted Nook Color 1.1 and I am unable to get it to see any of my apps. When I click 'Refresh apps list' it returns with 'Number of app data elements: 0'. Any suggestions on how to get this working?

Thanks for the assistance!