08/12 TEST 1.1 - MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK) for Pulse.

Guest PaulOBrien

Version 1.1 (current) of this kernel is now included in both MoDaCo Custom ROMs for Pulse.

This topic is just to follow my development of a custom kernel for the Pulse, for future inclusion in MCR. I will be posting my updated versions here in the usual zip format for applying to both my Pulse style and U8230 style custom ROMs.

To apply, copy to SD and use the recovery image.

Huge hat tip to everyone in the Custom Kernel thread who has contributed to us getting this far! :D

What's in already...

- 32MB compcache (check compcache is running with 'cat /proc/ramzswap')

- TUN driver

- EXT3 support

- EXT4 support

- SquashFS / CramFS / NFS / CIFS support

- Swap support (use swap file NOT partition if required, I recommend trying just compcache first (default))

- Kernel version now visible in 'about' page

What's coming...

- Wireless Tether support (netfilter / iptables)

Download - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...5cto14l2i2hxjtb

Source on github (not used github before, so let me know if you have any issues) - http://github.com/paulobrien/U8220-mck

:(

P

Changelog

Now in update zip format

Added 32MB compcache (check compcache is running with 'cat /proc/ramzswap')

Added TUN driver

Added CramFS / NFS / CIFS support

Kernel version now visible in 'about' page

Initial Release

This topic is just to follow my development of a custom kernel for the Pulse, for future inclusion in MCR. I will be posting my updated versions here in img format for applying to both my Pulse style and U8230 style custom ROMs.

To apply, use 'fastboot flash boot pulsemck10.img'.

Huge hat tip to everyone in the Custom Kernel thread who has contributed to us getting this far! :D

What's in already...

- EXT3 support

- EXT4 support

- SquashFS support

- Swap support

What's coming...

- Compcache

- Wireless Tether support

- Other bits and bobs and optimisations

Download - http://www.romraid.com/paul/pulse/pulsemck10.img

:(

P

Just flashed this to my phone and having no issues with my ext 3 partion using MCR 1.0. Also wifi is working ect.

Cant wait for the next version of the MCR! Thanks to Paul and Martin from the custom kernal thread for all there work!

Guest Shuflie

With swap support does this now mean that the custom rom can mount an SD card with a swp partition on it? What's the correct order to go about getting this to work?

Guest niko1986
I've not tried, but that's the theory!

Also, added source to github.

P

What advantages does the swap partition give over just using say an Ext3 partition?

Also what size swap etc is recommended?

Edited by niko1986

Using this kernel my SD card is not seen, I used the recovery menu to make a swap ext3 and fat32 partition.

Seems it's the swap partition that causing the problems.

Edited by klutsh

Using this kernel my SD card is not seen, I used the recovery menu to make a swap ext3 and fat32 partition.

Seems it's the swap partition that causing the problems.

I'm having similar issues, I was running the 8230 ROM, and so tried installing this kernel, which seemed to work OK, so I went to recovery, chose "format SD to fat32+ext2+swap" then "convert ext2 to ext3" and then rebooted

At that point I couldn't connect via adb, and the connect via USB notification didn't appear. (I get a "error: device offline" error from adb shell)

So, rebooted to recovery again, adb shelled, and used fdisk to delete the swap partition, rebooted again and now I can mount the SD card.

I still can't adb while it's booted normally though :D

When attempting to install an App I got an installation error.

Woohoo! Got MCK running with a 32MB compcache and the difference it makes to the device is astonishing (IMHO) :D

This needs to be packaged as an update.zip so i'll have it online for you in the morning, watch this space! :(

P

I use MCR1.3 with this new kernel and ext3. Everything seems to work except I cannot install

programs anymore. Not from market and not from apk files on the SD-Card. Not sure if

it worked with the stock MCR1.3. I am going to revert back to original kernel and ext2.

Or is it best to wait a little while for MCR1.4?

Woohoo! Got MCK running with a 32MB compcache and the difference it makes to the device is astonishing (IMHO) :D

This needs to be packaged as an update.zip so i'll have it online for you in the morning, watch this space! :(

P

Nice one Paul looking for to the update!

First post update, fill yer boots! :D

P

Changelog

Now in update zip format

Added TUN driver

First post update, fill yer boots! :(

P

Changelog

Now in update zip format

Added TUN driver

Great, any chance of VPN support? :D

Guest helikopter
If you copy over the openvpn binary then the TUN module should give you openvpn support I assume...?

P

can you please post some instructions on how to do the update?

Installed the zipfile, seems indeed to be running a bit faster, compcache working ok.

1 question, after converting Ext2 to Ext3, do need to reinstall anything or not, as it seems to work ok without reinstalling.

Guest JingleManSweep

So do we apply the "Update Zip" file using the options in the custom Recovery mode? The instructions at the top of the post haven't been updated and refer to "fastboot". Any ideas?

Guest JingleManSweep
Ah yeah, apply via recovery. *edits*

P

No problem Paul. I appreciate your help with all this. Great work so far, and excellent forum advice all round.

Guest JingleManSweep

NFS support sounds great, got a few questions though...

I have a NFS server at home serving up music, photos, etc.

Can I just mount these NFS exports via "adb shell" and if it works, persist the configuration in "/etc/fstab", or is there a more Android way of configuring NFS mounts?

Louis

In this build, /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh is being run at startup, so you could sneakily put your mounts in there?

Not used NFS personally, so probably not much help...

P