Watching movies via SMB share on my Hero?

Guest Arkymedes

Guest Arkymedes

Hello,

This is my first post and I searched everywhere I could for this.

The thing is:

I have quite a nice collection of movies that I optmized to the Hero's resolution screen and codecs capabilities.

What I would like to know is if I can watch them straight into my mobile via my Windows 7 x64 share over Wi-Fi? I cannot find any app that can do the job.

Maybe is not even possible?

Thanks!

Guest stevenz
No love for this thread? ;)

There's no way to do it over an SMB share (no SAMBA client on the phone afaik). At the moment you can stream Music from your PC via VLC by using GMote, or you can use Orb (http://www.orb.com) to stream video via a web interface using the 3gp protocol (so don't expect brilliant quality).

You could also try TVersity (which I just remembered I've got running at home but haven't tried with the Hero yet, yay something to play with! ;) When I've tried it with an iPod touch it had to render the entire file before it'd start streaming it though which was a bit painful, quality tended to be really good though. (I can't speak for quality on the Hero yet, give me a few hours though...)

Guest Arkymedes
There's no way to do it over an SMB share (no SAMBA client on the phone afaik). At the moment you can stream Music from your PC via VLC by using GMote, or you can use Orb (http://www.orb.com) to stream video via a web interface using the 3gp protocol (so don't expect brilliant quality).

You could also try TVersity (which I just remembered I've got running at home but haven't tried with the Hero yet, yay something to play with! ;) When I've tried it with an iPod touch it had to render the entire file before it'd start streaming it though which was a bit painful, quality tended to be really good though. (I can't speak for quality on the Hero yet, give me a few hours though...)

Hello, thanks a lot for the explanation. I will give a try with TVersity and post the results here ;)

Guest pillock

EStrongs File Manager can browse a Samba share, I can see all three drives on my NAS over my home WiFi connection. I can install APKs from these drives, but I think it has to copy the whole file to SD Card first so it might be a bit slow for watching films. I don't have anything of the right size/codec to try it right now I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...
Guest kernell32

I just tried sufbs filemanager i could launch a mp3 directly out of the smb browser should work with movies aswell. But it doesnt stream either, it downloads a temporary file to sd card.

But nice proggy this sufbs, it includes, a terminal app, the only working one i found for hero.

Costs some bucks thou.

First post here btw from me too, great forum modaco rocks!

Edited by kernell32

• 2 months later...
Guest GuckP
There's no way to do it over an SMB share (no SAMBA client on the phone afaik).

Good news:

- you can mount a samba (cifs) share on your phone.

Bad news:

- you need a custom rom to enable it (specifically, one with a cifs module available and loaded in the kernel - cyanogen latest, for example).

This link is almost right:

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f28/bro...m-android-9292/

I had to:

modprobe cifs

mount -t cifs //<ip>/<share> /data/portal -o username=<user>,password=<password>

from a root shell and then I was able to actually mount the share to a blank dir I made on my sdcard.

Now when I browse in a file manager, I can view photos, play videos, play mp3s over wifi. Bear in mind the playback capabilities of your device - you will still need a video with a small enough bandwidth to be:

- shown on this screen

- effectively streamed over your wifi

I had previously encoded some videos for my old n95 specifically for this purpose (I intended to move them onto the sd card) and these videos played perfectly in the stock video player, over the CIFS mount.

That was a good day.

G

P.S. you can use "lsmod" to see which modules are available in your kernel/rom.

Edited by GuckP