Official Hero Eclair update due this week?

Guest munkimatt

Guest munkimatt

Been picking up a bit of chatter this morning on Twitter regarding the official Eclair update (here for example), apparently there is some 'insider' info over on XDA too but I haven't got time to check.

Has anyone else heard/seen anything? Paul maybe?

Guest Funkyfin2000
Been picking up a bit of chatter this morning on Twitter regarding the official Eclair update (here for example), apparently there is some 'insider' info over on XDA too but I haven't got time to check.

Has anyone else heard/seen anything? Paul maybe?

sounds good not heard anything myself yet!

Guest Orbital teapot

I've only heard rumors of the opposite, that HTC is releasing 2.1 in January instead of 2.0 this month.

It would be really nice if this is true.

Edited by Orbital teapot

Guest munkimatt
I've only heard rumors of the opposite, that HTC is releasing 2.1 in January instead of 2.0 this month.

It would be really nice if this is true.

I'd quite happily take a 2.0 this week and a 2.1 in January :D

HTC tweeted this morning:

"Droid Eris is getting an update to a newer version of Android early next year. Google Navigation support is coming your way :D"

Not sure what that means for the Hero though...

Edited by bunt83

It would be nice, I agree. I would like to use Google Goggles for instance.

At the moment, as a Hero user, I feel like an early adopter, even though I thought I had done enough waiting by not getting older android phones :D

Edited by neenee

Guest munkimatt
I've seen THIS over at HTCPedia.

No idea if it is any official in it?

Well it's not official but it's another hint that we're looking at this side of Christmas for the update!

Guest stevenz

I just came across another guy doing Hero Eclair 2.1 ROMs;

http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=539

Still based off the same leak I think, HTC widgets still missing, no camera or bluetooth support, but looks like he's got everything else going ok. (Including A2SD support).

I'll wait until I get home so I can use my "test" SD Card with it and have a proper look :D

There's this bloke as well: http://db.androidspin.com/android_develope...&Submit1=go

Other than the odd tinker, I think I'll just wait for a final one from Paul :(

Edited by stevenz

Guest pillock

Hmmmm, part of me is excited, but I've been playing around with the Community 1.5 2.1 release today, and I've gone back to MCR3.0 - too many crashes, too much stuff didn't work, and there was too much variation in response speed. Sometimes really smooth and fluid scrolling, other times 5 seconds or more to respond to a tap. Dealbreaker for me was lack of clock widget and weather app, the two features I use the most.

Don't get me wrong, the devs and cookers have done a fantastic job and they must have devoted entire working weeks to the project.... but I'm hoping the official release will have all that but be 100% stable (OK, OK, 96% - I'm realistic!).

And then I'm hoping that Paul will get an MCR release out of it soonish, as I'd hate to unroot my phone after it too me so long to root it in the first place!

Guest Mike Beecham

I just thought that I would email HTC yesterday, as I'm sick of not being able to download updates to my apps because of requiring a base of 1.6 onwards. I essentially moaned like buggery and complained that HTC are tantamount to a manufacturer that would ship a brand new laptop with Windows95 on it! (overly dramatic, I know!)

Anyway, they emailed me back today to state that:

Dear Mike

Thank you for your enquiry about ROM upgrade to your HTC Hero.

Answer

Android 2.0/2.1 is estimated to be launched in the beginning of 2010 but we don't have any specific launch date

So, I understand that HTC are not going to say "Hey thanks...we were just waiting for someone to actually email...here is the release date...", but it might give an indication as to where things stand currently.

I contacted HTC support originally about the flip clock animation in 2.1, to see whether it is returning. But i asked when we should expect the update and he told me (HTC EUROPE) that they are still trying to push it out before christmas, and that engineering haven't released the ROM yet even to employees.

Edited by jayw08

Guest Mike Beecham
I contacted HTC support originally about the flip clock animation in 2.1, to see whether it is returning. But i asked when we should expect the update and he told me (HTC EUROPE) that they are still trying to push it out before christmas, and that engineering haven't released the ROM yet even to employees.

I thought the removal of flip-clock animation was relevant ONLY to the MCR roms, not the official ones? I couldn't care either way about the clock as I dont use it. The notification bar already has the time on it, and a HUGE clock on the home screen only serves to take up previous system resources imo.

I thought the removal of flip-clock animation was relevant ONLY to the MCR roms, not the official ones? I couldn't care either way about the clock as I dont use it. The notification bar already has the time on it, and a HUGE clock on the home screen only serves to take up previous system resources imo.

I was explaining why i contacted HTC support and also their response to the release date of 2.1. Ok so you don't use it but some people do

Guest stevenz

The Spring Hero supposedly isn't getting Eclair until the 1st HALF of 2010 sometime. Presumably the main differences between the 2 are just the kernel and radio, so that doesn't look too promising.

I'd say that it was marketing so they can sell more of their current Eclair units, but they don't actually _have_ any yet. Maybe they want to have one "standard" base for the upcoming models as well as the existing ones which they can just put over the top of the hardware-dependant stuff to make things easier for all involved.

Guest stevenz
HTC just tweeted:

"Did you know your Sprint Hero will be getting Eclair early next year? Well...now you do! Happy Friday ladies and gents ;)"

No word on GSM.

Interesting that Sprint are hedging their bets more than HTC themselves are;

Sprint: Happy to announce Android 2.0 is coming to Sprint’s Hero & Moment. Date TBD, but roughly 1H 2010.

So, sometime in the next 6 1/2 months. Vague much? Maybe they're expecting other Eclair units from OEMs other than HTC.

Guest venturerider

By the time the carrier-branded version comes around (Telus Canada for me), I'm sure there will already be a solid custom 2.1 rom available. Besides, I will never install anything the carrier releases. That would probably lock up my phone once more.

Guest stevenz
By the time the carrier-branded version comes around (Telus Canada for me), I'm sure there will already be a solid custom 2.1 rom available. Besides, I will never install anything the carrier releases. That would probably lock up my phone once more.

Shouldn't do, I've got MCR 3.0 running quite happily on my unlocked Telus Hero. Where's your sense of adventure? ;)