Removing stuff (e.g. Acer Registration)

Guest PaulOBrien

If you've rooted and you've got ADB running, you can remove apps you don't want (i've removed Acer Sync, Acer Registration) by deleting their APKs from /system/app.

E.g., to remove Acer Registration, I did:

- adb remount

- adb rm /system/app/AcerAbout.apk

Easy! ;)

P

sorry I am still a newbie with rooted android etc.

How do you adb?? from command prompt and you need to have android sdk installed??

I think I have rooted my device but i´m not sure just did superboot then installed the latest official rom. 

Guest snoopy33

Hi,

Because I used Handset for sms, and because the original sms application stay open in background, i uninstall it by removing Mms.apk.

I removed also talk service and google talk because i don t use it, but by doing that i was unable to make the market working correctly so I reinstall it in the system folder, and now, all is Ok.

++

Guest jimshui
If you've rooted and you've got ADB running, you can remove apps you don't want (i've removed Acer Sync, Acer Registration) by deleting their APKs from /system/app.

E.g., to remove Acer Registration, I did:

- adb remount

- adb rm /system/app/AcerAbout.apk

Easy! ;)

P

I am using 1.001.05-AAP-CSL rom and have used alternate superboot to root my Liquid. Tried to adb remount via macbook which was ok. However, I could not remove the apps from my Liquid. Error message "failure" was shown on terminal.

Kindly assist.

Guest tomdotcom

NEWBIE Instructions

To use ADB on a Superbooted ROM

1. Install AndroidSDK

2. Enable USB Debugging mode

3. Plug Liquid via USB cable

4. adb remount

5. adb shell

6. cd /system/app

7. rm XXXXX.apk

8. adb shell reboot

Edited by tomdotcom

Guest chingy1788

i want to move these apps incase i want them back for what ever purpose...

mv doesnt seem to work - failure on '*app directory*' - Cross-device linked

and theres no sudo...

Guest petrosy
I am using 1.001.05-AAP-CSL rom and have used alternate superboot to root my Liquid. Tried to adb remount via macbook which was ok. However, I could not remove the apps from my Liquid. Error message "failure" was shown on terminal.

Kindly assist.

I seem to be experiencing the same issue. I have rooted my device & using 1.004.00 firmware. What am I doing wrong?

I am running the adb command straight from within my dos session.

Guest duff.angus
I seem to be experiencing the same issue. I have rooted my device & using 1.004.00 firmware. What am I doing wrong?

I am running the adb command straight from within my dos session.

I installed 'Explorer' from the Market...

Open explorer, create a backup directory on sd card in phone (/sdcard on my phone)

Copy /system/app, paste into your backup folder on /sdcard

now connect phone to pc and enable the sdcard. copy all those *.apk files to a safe place...

I had trouble removing files initially, a bit of googling later...

open a command prompt in windows..

after:

- adb remount

either type 'adb shell' and then 'cd /system/app' and 'rm xxx.apk'

or insert 'shell' between adb and the rm command:

- adb shell rm /system/app/xxx.apk

be careful what you remove. i've had a couple of problems after maybe removing to may apps and had to reflash the rom and start again. Everything working fine now though. good luck and enjoy

Guest liquid_it
does anyone have list of apps that are safe to remove? I hate too many apps that run on startup

I removed Acer Registration, Spinlets and UrFooz. Don't know if there's something else you can safely remove, but looking to the task manager I'd say no..

Guest pete.major
i removed acer settings.

no need for that app when i got powerwidget which does basically the same

Acer settings is a service though... I was windering if it might do power management or something...

Acer settings is a service though... I was windering if it might do power management or something...

acer settings handles settings like wifi, blutooth and other similar stuff through an easy quick accessible application.

Havnt had a single FC after removing it.

Just start the app and you'll se what it does

• 2 weeks later...