ANDROMNiA - Android for the Samsung Omnia

Guest whiplash000

Guest cruddasj

Well guys, mixed news. I managed to get the files copied across (by going into the terminal and using 'sudo nautilus' then just dragging and dropping :) )

However I do now get a kernel panic lol. Why must things be so difficult B)

It gets up to the point where it says waiting 5 secs for root device.

It then mounts and says SMD: Initialize completed

And then just hangs :| Any ideas??? Thankyou ;)

Edit: Ahaha. Got past that point now. Now stuck on the passing of INIT :| Do you need to copy the folder 'RootFS' to the SD or all of the files within the folder by themselves???

Edited by cruddasj

Well guys, mixed news. I managed to get the files copied across (by going into the terminal and using 'sudo nautilus' then just dragging and dropping :) )

However I do now get a kernel panic lol. Why must things be so difficult B)

It gets up to the point where it says waiting 5 secs for root device.

It then mounts and says SMD: Initialize completed

And then just hangs :| Any ideas??? Thankyou ;)

Edit: Ahaha. Got past that point now. Now stuck on the passing of INIT :| Do you need to copy the folder 'RootFS' to the SD or all of the files within the folder by themselves???

I was having the same issue as you.....at the root of the SD card copy the contend of the RootFS folder. Do not include RootFS folder.

Guest cruddasj
I was having the same issue as you.....at the root of the SD card copy the contend of the RootFS folder. Do not include RootFS folder.

Ah thankyou :) I shall give it another go ;)

Guest X-Ray A4T
At root level of the SD card, type chmod -R 777 *, this should help...try it out...this will give read, write and execute permissions to the SD card.

I wish people would stop giving out this bad advice. This turns off ALL security and makes all files executable which is not what you want. *nix is all about security. That command is like building Fort Knox and then leaving all the doors unlocked and firing all the guards.

Rather tell people what they should be doing:

1. go to the root of the SD card, e.g. /media/sdcard
  2. then copy the files as root using the sudo command

1. sudo cp -R [full path to location of files]/rootfs.cupcake/* .
    2. in my case: sudo cp -R /home/username/andromnia/release/rootfs.cupcake/* .

This will copy the files with the correct permissions (file ownership and execute rights). This is not really an issue while playing but once we have a reasonably stable release people may continue to do this and open their phones up to hackers or malicious applications.

Guest Artur Aragão

I am not criticizing, but how is taking to get something more optimized for the Omnia.

I would make a contribution to help, but do not have international credit card.

Someone could post a how to on how to make the procedure for implementing this rom on Omnia? And why does not flashable roms as Windows Mobile?

Guest h8isgr8

I have high doubts that this project will ever evolve far enough to be of any use. Right now it's not anything more than "wow, that's neat ,but useless".

The Omnia is old hat now; on it's way to obsolete-ville.

This isn't a critism, but more an observation.

Is anybody actually working on new parts / drivers for the omnia ?

Doesn't seem to be much action going on in a long time :)

Guest Abqcub

Theres more going on, on andromnia.net.

On a side note hopefully someone can answer this. Will our Omnia's be able to run Android 2.0 and above or are we gonna be stuck behind?

Guest Compuse

Why would anyone want to replace his Windows Mobile to Android? I sell mobile phone and that's why i'm testing a lot of phones, .. it's simply aint worth the time! .. even Layer is screwed up, not as good as on the vids!(tried it a lot, .. information wasn't accurate at all)

To maintain a decent batterylife, .. keep wino on your devices! :) unless for a try-out, this can me installed as just another application!

btw, dont get me wrong .. i were overenthusiastic about android a half year ago, .. and still a heck of a job getting it to work! :) Well done!

Edited by Compuse

Guest semmtexx
Why would anyone want to replace his Windows Mobile to Android? I sell mobile phone and that's why i'm testing a lot of phones, .. it's simply aint worth the time! .. even Layer is screwed up, not as good as on the vids!(tried it a lot, .. information wasn't accurate at all)

To maintain a decent batterylife, .. keep wino on your devices! :) unless for a try-out, this can me installed as just another application!

btw, dont get me wrong .. i were overenthusiastic about android a half year ago, .. and still a heck of a job getting it to work! :) Well done!

Dude, you honestly think that an app like google maps works better on winmo than Android? Do you realize that google makes android as well? Winmo sucks, is outdated, is being horribly managed and honestly will be a mere afterthought in a few years. Find a new job.

Guest whiplash000

Hey everyone, 0.32 is out now! Go get it!

Also... a little blurb about the project's status:

Our main devs, xsacha and sonique, have temporarily stopped working on the project. xsacha has a phd to work on, and sonique seems to have just... disappeared :)

We have a few new devs looking to work on the project, so development may start again. This version is really from December 10th, but I decided to release it because I realized not everyone compiles from source :) Please give feedback, as I haven't totally tested it yet!

Guest emporto

After GPS support I will renew my WM with android, and I guess I will never turn back to WM :) Just still waiting the GPS support

By the way, good work thanks for your new releases and studies over Andromnia project

Guest aafi-rocks

Hi, I got 2 questions..

1. Can this run on Omnia i8000

2. There is emulator on XDA for dual boot android and windows mobile.. can we have both WinMo and Android with this..

Guest joža
It works ok om my PDA ;) Anybody know how to instal any apps on android without file manager?

copy them on sd card /system/apps or something similar. but only basic ones will work, like file manager. take OI file manager (downolad .apk)

then copy all of them to your My storage and find them with file manager. some won't work, and some you don't get to dowload in .apk form-for those you'll need marketplace but there isn't one yet.

try ou t;)

Guest thedeathofme

Will try as soon as calls, texts, and sleep works. Loving the thought of having the ability to switch between Winmo and Android.

Good luck guys, please keep us up to date.

Thanks