HTC HD2 Digital Compass now works with Google Maps Mobile

Guest vinaymanro

Guest vinaymanro
thumb_11-Dec-2009_compass1.jpg

Google have just updated the Maps Application for Windows Mobile to Version 3.3.1. This version includes support for the HTC HD2 Digital Compass. So you can now see which way you are facing using the compass.

Once again I am without my HD2 today so I cannot test it yet, so let me know how you get on with it.

Head over to http://m.google.com/maps from your mobile browser to download it.

Anyone worked out how to make the compass work?

i don't seem to get any directionality details up...

SF

I read somewhere that it doesn't work with GPS enabled, assuming this is the same version. The WM version doesn't have the concept of direction faced and direction travelled, so it shows direction faced when GPS is off and direction travelled when GPS is on.

Yay works a treat... thanks for the update... its made my phone even better...

if you launch the compass, click the destination tab... and google maps loads... click on the ok button to close google maps and compass comes back up.

Edited by rand

Guest Neil5459
does any one know if the touch pro 2 or htc rhodium have the same hard ware capability ?

No- the digital compass on the HD2 is a separate electomagnetic hardware device, independent of GPS and Cell Tower location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest highlorddave
I read somewhere that it doesn't work with GPS enabled, assuming this is the same version. The WM version doesn't have the concept of direction faced and direction travelled, so it shows direction faced when GPS is off and direction travelled when GPS is on.

If you wish it to work with GPS enabled in google maps you need to change your gps settings in google from automatic to manual - COM4, Baud 57600

Guest Alien1301

Is it posibile that the digital compass works on my Samsung i900 Omnia? I put a new google maps ver 3.3.1. but I can not find the Compass on it. Whats is the problem?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.