Keyboard from original ROM

Guest giryan

I definitely liked the keyboard on the original loads more, I'd be willing to look into extracting it, so it could go in the Modaco 8230 ROM, or even just to put on my own phone ;)

If anyone could point me at info on how to go about that it would be great, I'm relatively confident with unix, but don't have a great deal of experience hacking android though ;)

TouchPal.apk and AllPack.apk (IIRC) from the /system/app dir.

With old ROM:

adb pull /system/app/TouchPal.apk

adb pull /system/app/AllPack.apk

then with new ROM:

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/app/TouchPal.apk

adb push TouchPal.apk /system/app/

adb push AllPack.apk /system/app/

adb shell reboot

Job done! ;)

P

I prefer the newer build in the U8230 ROM personally!

P

The bit I like was being able to access numbers and symbols by swiping down rather by many many presses through the symbols key.

Although I've just looked, and actually that's a setting, that defaults to off on the 8230 ROM, and was on on the other one. Doh.

At least I don't have to hassle with flashing to and from the old ROM now ;)

With old ROM:

then with new ROM:

adb remount

adb push AllEnglish.apk /system/app/

adb shell reboot

Job done! ;)

P

just me being total n00b here but, you pull allpack.apk and you push allenglish.apk?

also i am assuming these are dictionary files? would allpack.apk from the original dutch rom contain the dutch dictionary for touchpal then?.. if so that would be awsome.

anyon eelse maybe have a say about this.. i like my setup atm and not in the mood to experiment just to find that its not in there and i wrecked my keyboard . so i'd like to know if the dutch dictionary is in there somewhere or not?

Guest Shuflie

I like the new keyboard better too, but one thing bothers me. In better terminal emulator I seem to default to the android keyboard for text entry, press and hold in the terminal window doesn't let me swap. In the 1.4.1 MCR the built-in touch pal keyboard is the default and is the one used in BTE. Any ideas on how to swap these around for the U8230 build?

With old ROM:

then with new ROM:

adb remount

adb push AllPack.apk /system/app/

adb shell reboot

Job done! ;)

P

Maybe someone can rewrite this in noobs-understandable language. How can I pull allpack.apk and touchpal.apk from the original ROM without having it installed on my device?

edit: I succeed. What did I do (on a mac):

1. Installed the android SDK

2. Opened a terminal session

3. Went to the directory "tools" in the android SDK directory where "adb" is located

4. Ran commands as above (./adb push....) etc

5. Used install command instead of push. Using push I got an error "no space on device"

Edited by pimm97

Well.

The touchpal.apk form the original t-mobile ROM comes with the well known problems; the keyboard disappears after touching the first character. So I reinstalled the Touchpal.apk from the 8230 ROM, also with the Allpack.apk. But it still is impossible to select the dutch language.

Any suggestions?

Guest kayahah

Maby a bit offtopic but after i switched to the android keyboard to try it im not possible to switch back to the Touch Pal one, when i press input metod nothing happens. Is it me that is way to bad at android or is there someother way to switch?

I'm running the 8230 ROM and installed the touchpal.apk and allpack.apk from the original T-mobile ROM.

But when I touch the first character, the keyboard disappears. The solution of clearing the touchpal data doesn't work because android says there is no user date (the button "clear data" is faded gray and unclickable)

Maybe someone knows where the userdata is located, so I can check this using adb?