Use as modem?

Guest pete.major

Guest pete.major

Hi,

In the manual on page 59, there are instructions for setting the phone up as a modem for a PC

Has anyone got this working?

On my win 7 pc it doesn't see the phone as a modem.

Guest Richie from Shanghai
Lets contact Acer and get them to fix it, beacause of the info in the manual It should work!

One of the reasons i bought myself a Liquid ;)

Have you tried an app from Market called 'PDAnet'? I haven't tried it, but it seems this app allows PC to use phone's data by connecting USB and bluetooth(for Android 2.0 only). I just got Liquid, haven't signed up a 3G plan yet, so not sure how this app works. Please share if anyone has tried it.

BTW, anyone tried an app called 'bluetooth remote control'? I can't find it on the Market, I need an app to control the PC, all I can find is apps that connects phone and pc by using WIFI, not bluetooth. When we are outside with pc and phone, make presentation by using powerpoint or keynote, chances are there is no WIFI, so bluetooth should be handy in that sense.

Have used pdanet - works great. Used with a usb cable and my laptop. Need to install software on both phone and pc, so not as flexible as wireless tether that I've used on other Android phones.

Have you tried an app from Market called 'PDAnet'? I haven't tried it, but it seems this app allows PC to use phone's data by connecting USB and bluetooth(for Android 2.0 only). I just got Liquid, haven't signed up a 3G plan yet, so not sure how this app works. Please share if anyone has tried it.

BTW, anyone tried an app called 'bluetooth remote control'? I can't find it on the Market, I need an app to control the PC, all I can find is apps that connects phone and pc by using WIFI, not bluetooth. When we are outside with pc and phone, make presentation by using powerpoint or keynote, chances are there is no WIFI, so bluetooth should be handy in that sense.

Guest three_pineapples

I asked Clove to get hold of drivers for us. And they did! Yay for Clove ;)

Official Driver Location: ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/smartphone/s100/driver/

Using these drivers i was able to get the modem to respond to queries breifly, but it would not connect successfully to my data network. Maybe someone else can get it to work (now the modem in the liquid won't respond ;))

I think that the number you dial should be : *99#

That didn't work. I tried also adding this extra initialisation command: +CGDCONT =1,"IP","apn.address"

(replace apn.address with your apn address you have set up in your phone)

as described here: http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

That didn't work either.

After unplugging and replugging in my liquid, the modem doesn't respond!

Probably needs a reboot.

Hope someone can figure this out! (I'll keep trying when i can)

Edited by three_pineapples

Guest three_pineapples

Ok, double post here, but i got the liquid working as a modem!!!

Use the phone number: *99***1#

Where the 1 is the number of the access point you want to use (i only had one configured on my liquid, so i just picked 1)

So no extra initialization commands needed.

Install the drivers in my previous post (make sure you remove any old ones first)

Set up the connection as it states in the liquid manual

Leave username/password blank

Enter the phone number as *99***1#

Hit dial ;)

Guest three_pineapples
Anyone know how to do the same under Linux ?

You will need to obtain drivers from Acer for linux. I don't know if they will supply them or not though ;)

Guest three_pineapples
As you seem to know "Clove" (someone that works with Acer ?), would you mind askin him if there is a chance to get such drivers ?

lol no, um, Clove is the company i bought my phone from! www.clove.co.uk

I complained to them about drivers since none were included in the box with my phone. Since they sell Acer hardware, they complained to Acer on my behalf, and got drivers put up.

I tried emailing Acer directly, but got no response.

Unfortunately i don't think that linux drivers are considered to be part of a standard development process, thus i doubt you could complain to the people that sold you the phone that they weren't included.

If you didn't get any drivers like most of us, you could try complaining that there are no drivers and request linux ones.

But your best bet would probably be in trying to get someone (or yourself) to reverse engineer the windows drivers and write linux ones. I know nothing about driver development, but it can't be much more than a standard mobile modem.

Guest french_dude

Thank for your answer.

Unfortunately, I am not a software developper and not able to reverse engineer anything.

I think my best chance is to look for a (free ?) tethering application using either USB, Bluetooth or Wifi. This will certainly require to root the device.

Guest three_pineapples

huh. interesting.

I'm guessing that it didn't work with those drivers because we locked up our modems somehow requiring a reboot but none of us thought about that. And i don't think anyone tried using *99***1# either.

Ohwell, have other people got this working now too?

Guest Matrixdefalco

Hallo everybody...

I'm using the liquid as usb modem without any problem...

Is most important to set the additional string in advance configuration of the modem...as is write on the manual....

the sting could be for all that: +CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”apn name” for me in italy the apn is tre.it you have tou use your....

The number is just *99#

is very fast and i'm using it from yesterday without any problems....

Ciao Daniele

Guest three_pineapples
Hallo everybody...

I'm using the liquid as usb modem without any problem...

Is most important to set the additional string in advance configuration of the modem...as is write on the manual....

the sting could be for all that: +CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”apn name” for me in italy the apn is tre.it you have tou use your....

The number is just *99#

is very fast and i'm using it from yesterday without any problems....

Ciao Daniele

It is not neccesary to do this. You can pick which APN you wish to use when dialing, rather on modem initialisation.

Using *99***<apn number># also works. Eg, if you only have one access point, *99***1#

Guest Matrixdefalco

I know that it could be the same...but with *99***1# I had no response by the server...

With the string added in advanced setting is ok...

Just my experience....

Guest pete.major
I know that it could be the same...but with *99***1# I had no response by the server...

With the string added in advanced setting is ok...

Just my experience....

Yep, *99***1# didn't work for me either, same problem. I'll try this other method.

Guest three_pineapples

If you get no response from the server, Reboot your liquid and try again straight away. I found that i was locking up my acer modem trying to connect with that string added :)

But whatever works for people!

Guest Rami Alisawi

1- *99***1# didn't work for me either , it's dialing but when get to "reg IP on the network" it disconnected!!

2- adding the string makes it won't dial from the first place, when i click dial it gives me fail instantly.

any help !! i have no internet connection in my home and i'm counting on my A1 to help me out

Guest three_pineapples

Make sure you have an access point configured on your liquid (eg. you can use your liquid on the internet) (make sure you only have one setup).

Remove the initialisation string.

Unplug your liquid from the computer. Turn your liquid off. Turn your liquid on. Connect USB. Dial *99***1#

I had a similar issue, but then after a restart of my liquid it worked!