HELP A NOOBIE:d

Guest h3dshot

Guest h3dshot

well basically im new to this whole thing, just got my pulse today and im loving it!

was wonderin if any of u experienced people would explain some key terms to me lol

i hope to be quite active on these forums and so obv need to know wtf u guys are talking about lol

what is a custom rom and why wud i need it?

thanks

DONT FORGET YOU WERE A NOOB AT ONE POINT TOO:)

Guest h3dshot

oh yes, almost forgot. i was customizing my phone as you do lol and noticed theres an option to disable "data service" i was told that this basically means u wont connect to the internet

is that true cos i want to use my wifi in my house but dont wanna get ass raped by t-mobile's charges, so if i leave this on will they still charge me for using my wifi. and also is it classed as im using their service if i just open the browser even if im connected to my wifi... if that last bit seemed a bit confusing basically in which order does it connect? to your wifi first so its free, or to t-mobiles own so they have your pants down with fees?

Just got mine yesterday so still experimenting with just about everything but I currently have Wifi on but data services off (need to conserve credit until the free internet kicks in next month!). Whilst at home everything is connected so I can access the net, twidroid & facebook are getting updates etc but it's all coming through my home wifi so no mobile charges.

On the top status bar I have a data service disabled symbol at the left (And a notification in the drag down) and a Wifi connection symbol on the right beside the network signal symbol. If I turn on data services and turn the wifi off then I get a 3G symbol by the network signal which turns white with arrows if it's downloading data and therefore charging me.

Guest h3dshot
Just got mine yesterday so still experimenting with just about everything but I currently have Wifi on but data services off (need to conserve credit until the free internet kicks in next month!). Whilst at home everything is connected so I can access the net, twidroid & facebook are getting updates etc but it's all coming through my home wifi so no mobile charges.

On the top status bar I have a data service disabled symbol at the left (And a notification in the drag down) and a Wifi connection symbol on the right beside the network signal symbol. If I turn on data services and turn the wifi off then I get a 3G symbol by the network signal which turns white with arrows if it's downloading data and therefore charging me.

hmmm thanks for the info, i was also wondering if i disable data services do texts and calls still come through?

i let one of my m8s know of my new number and they said they've texted me and i havn't got it yet, they sent it around an hour ago, and my data services is switched off:)

I've had texts come through and made calls and texts, just having a look at it now i've still got use only 2G networks ticked so that's maybe that makes a difference.

Guest Richard_Arkless

Ok so your first question

What is a custom rom and why would you need it?

Well you dont really need it, all that a custom rom is, a custom rom would normally contain things like performance tweaks, new features, things added/ removed, etc. so you wont need a custom rom its basically upto you if you want to install this rom or not

data service is where it will disable internet services from running so you wont be charged, data service will only effect then network internet coverage, not the wifi

some other things I have picked up

recovery image: this is basically a recovery menu where you can do things like formatting your phone so all data is gone and all that is left is the rom that is installed, format the sd card, partition it, repair ext filesystem and you can also install roms for when the time comes when you want to install another rom

custom rom U8230 edition: this is a modified rom that has been ported over from the huwai ( I know I spelled it wrong) U8230 to the u8220 (tmobile pulse). this rom is basically a stock rom where almost everything is the default rom that google has released, this is for people that want a stock rom experience. the advantage of this rom is that I have noticed better performance and stability over both the rom that comes by default with the pulse and the other custom rom. with this rom you will have to wipe the phone if you want it to be stable

custom pulse rom: this rom is based upon the rom that comes with the pulse where performance tweaks, features/apps added and removed have been applied to it to improve the experience, when you install this rom over the default pulse rom, you wont need to wipe it and wont lose any data in the process

rooting: rooting allows you to do alot more stuff with the pulse that you currently cant do, things like getting sudo permissions in a terminal, and an app called quickboot which will allow you to customize the boot image and access normal or recovery mode

wiping an android device, this is pretty simple just boot into recovery mode (this is after you have installed superboot and the recovery image) and select to wipe data/factory reset. please note that any files or apps stored on the phone will be gone so BACKUP, also if you have installed the custom rom that is based upon the default pulse rom then the google maps application will have moved from the phone partition to the data partition aka no more maps after wiping

this is everything I have learned so far

There is a wiki that talks about all this in more detail

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Edited by Richard_Arkless

If someone could provide similarly useful information about what needs to be done to get newer versions of Android on there that would be cool too. I am not above trying to get stuck in but I am not a competent .nix user and I am a bit confused about the various bits.

So starting at the bottom we have the hardware platform, which is obviously different between the various devices, i.e. there is no specific hardware specified in Android?

Then we have the kernel?

Then we have Android - different flavours of which 1.5. 1.6, 2.0 are like the different OS numbers in, say, Windows like XP, Vista and 7.

And the ROM? This contains both these parts in a single container?

So, to get different versions of Android working we need to get it to run the hardware, which I assume is done via drivers of some description - so, are these contained in the kernel? In other words can we just take 1.6, build a kernel that is compatible with 1.6 and the hardware platform and off we go? Or do we need to make the changes in the stock 1.6, the kernel is something else?

You can see I am rather confused here. If anyone could set me straight so I can follow the customisation threads properly (I have enough trouble getting my head around using terminal given that my linux experience is limited to a few weeks banging my head against the wall trying to get Ubuntu 8.04 to clone my laptop display onto an external monitor).

So, to get different versions of Android working we need to get it to run the hardware, which I assume is done via drivers of some description - so, are these contained in the kernel? In other words can we just take 1.6, build a kernel that is compatible with 1.6 and the hardware platform and off we go? Or do we need to make the changes in the stock 1.6

correct.

if the stock 1.6 can properly interface with the kernel (and drivers) then there's no need to modify it...

Guest h3dshot

ye was also wondering if theres an msn app that i cud install on this phone or wud a normal one just be fine?

if i need to install a specific one pls post download link and instructions on installing pls

thanks

correct.

if the stock 1.6 can properly interface with the kernel (and drivers) then there's no need to modify it...

Thanks for the clarification. So, I assume that in the first instance one takes our working 1.5 kernel and builds a ROM with Android 1.6, try to boot it and see which bits no longer work? Subsequently you work to try and get all the various hardware working by pulling customised bits from the working 1.5 ROM?

Guest niko1986
ye was also wondering if theres an msn app that i cud install on this phone or wud a normal one just be fine?

Search the market, from there installation is just clicking install and letting it do its thing.

Guest h3dshot

thanks for the responses, was wondering if a micro sdhc card wud work on this phone? i need to upgrade from the 2 gb micro sd to 8gb, and i found a 8gb micro sdhc on play for £10..

thanks

Guest le_lutin
thanks for the responses, was wondering if a micro sdhc card wud work on this phone? i need to upgrade from the 2 gb micro sd to 8gb, and i found a 8gb micro sdhc on play for £10..

thanks

Yes it will.

Guest boradev
Thanks for the clarification. So, I assume that in the first instance one takes our working 1.5 kernel and builds a ROM with Android 1.6, try to boot it and see which bits no longer work? Subsequently you work to try and get all the various hardware working by pulling customised bits from the working 1.5 ROM?

I think it's a bit harder than that. Vanilla Android 1.5 comes with a standard kernel thast is written for that api version. Huawei have taken this and modifed the kernel for their hardware. So we have a modified 1.5 kernel (which is a Linux kernel 2.6.xx) with the phone. Android 1.6 come with a newer kernel which has moved on from the 1.5 version. What is needed is to define all the changes that were made by Huwaei to the 1.5 kernel and apply them to the vanilla 1.6 kernel (or to find the changes between vanilla 1.5 and 1.6 and apply that to the Huawei kernel). Neither is a trivial challenge.

I think your suggestion has already been tried and pulling customised bits from the 1.5 version is unlikely to provide a fully functional phone.

Guest h3dshot

Yes also wondered if any of you could help me out here

I know it sounds simple but I'm really confused lol

Basically how do I add words to the dictionary I have an uncommon name and its so annoying as I have to stop and input each letter which is really annoying!

also how do I set it so that I'm alerted to a text by vibration or an alert preferably a song off my memory card?

Thanks!

Guest niko1986
Yes also wondered if any of you could help me out here

I know it sounds simple but I'm really confused lol

Basically how do I add words to the dictionary I have an uncommon name and its so annoying as I have to stop and input each letter which is really annoying!

also how do I set it so that I'm alerted to a text by vibration or an alert preferably a song off my memory card?

Thanks!

Dictionary confuses me too lol

The text vibrate go to settings, for the music find a music file and long press the song and itll bring up a context menu and select the right option from there.

Guest h3dshot
Dictionary confuses me too lol

The text vibrate go to settings, for the music find a music file and long press the song and itll bring up a context menu and select the right option from there.

Thanks but I've been through the settings and have set a ring tone for calls but can't find anything to give a text alert or vibration

could you give me a step by step guide on changing it so it alerts me to texts?

Thanks!

Guest stevenz

Please write in english, not txt-speak.

There's at least 2 MSN apps, just google "Android MSN".

The text alert is just the "notification" sound, so just change that. Use an SMS app like Handcent or ChompSMS for more customisability.

Guest le_lutin
Thanks but I've been through the settings and have set a ring tone for calls but can't find anything to give a text alert or vibration

could you give me a step by step guide on changing it so it alerts me to texts?

Thanks!

Click on Messaging

Click on Menu

Click on Settings

The very last option is "Vibrate" - tick this.

Guest h3dshot
Please write in english, not txt-speak.

There's at least 2 MSN apps, just google "Android MSN".

The text alert is just the "notification" sound, so just change that. Use an SMS app like Handcent or ChompSMS for more customisability.

Sorry about the text talk its just that I'm lazy and can't be bothered to type the words out fully lol

And I went into the notification settings and there is a list of s*** melody things that come with the phone, I went into my songs folder and even the music player to try and change or add my own text alert but to no avail any suggestions on this and also on adding words to the predictive dictionary ?

Thanks!

Guest h3dshot
Click on Messaging

Click on Menu

Click on Settings

The very last option is "Vibrate" - tick this.

Thanks soo much your my hero!!! at least now I can get it to vibrate when I get a message, next step is to get an alert which I want! Any ideas how I add a song to the list it gives you when you wanna change the text tone?

And the final problem I have : how to add words to the dictionary ^-^

Guest quincy456
Thanks soo much your my hero!!! at least now I can get it to vibrate when I get a message, next step is to get an alert which I want! Any ideas how I add a song to the list it gives you when you wanna change the text tone?

And the final problem I have : how to add words to the dictionary ^-^

adding words seems not possible which is pretty rubbish i have to say - couple that with the Vodafone mms issue and overall its a nice (in fact lovely) phone let down by some basic early 90s mobile style issues.

Guest wonderfibre

Download Ringdroid from the apps market. Then use that to create an alarm/ringtone/notification from any MP3 on your SD card ;)