December 2009: T-Mobile Pulse software update

Guest apavli

I don't think it's possible to flash the old bootloader atm...

I guess I need to apply the December update to my Pulse and have a play!

P

Good luck!

Did you get anywhere pulling apart the dec .app file to see what it does in there?

Well, MCR 1.5 is based on it, so i've extracted the system image. It seems that there are new RIL files, but aside from that, not really had a look. It's strange...

P

a dec updated phone wont boot a dec rom which has had superboot applied.

... I got a phone with that problem. Gets as far (in adb logcat) as:

I/SystemServer( 1079): Starting Wallpaper Service
I/SystemServer( 1079): Starting Audio Service
[/codebox]

... then reboots.

Presumably we can fastboot recovery and then adb shell and undo whatever it is that superboot has done?

... I got a phone with that problem. Gets as far (in adb logcat) as:

I/SystemServer( 1079): Starting Wallpaper Service
I/SystemServer( 1079): Starting Audio Service
[/codebox]

... then reboots.

Presumably we can fastboot recovery and then adb shell and undo whatever it is that superboot has done?

Maybe but none has done it so far, I wonder if it's the audio service or the step after that's causing the reboot, what's the normal next stop after audio start on an original boot?

Hmm....

I have this problem. I have two Pulse's here... one is mine.... the other belongs to a colleague (guess which one has a problem).

He had performed the December T-Mobile update (which I'd not realised!).

I installed boot, recovery and MCR 1.5 on my device no problems.

His device isn't happy at all, it just sits in a reboot loop. I've tried to flash MCR 1.5 onto it, tried the stock Tmobile update zip, tried to restore a NANDROID backup from my working device onto it etc.

Fastboot on the good device has a Build Date of "Sep 10 2009, 23:24:35". On the brick has "Nov 26 2009, 11:05:05".

So I can boot into recovery and fiddle from there.. if I boot recovery, wipe data, install the MCR 1.5 and then reboot running "adb logcat" then it gets a good way through the boot sequence, gets as far as "Starting Audio Service" and then adb quits and the phone reboots.

What I've noticed is interesting is that the recovery image can't do a nandroid backup, instead I get ECC errors:

Dumping recovery to /sdcard/nandroid/mem=128M/BCDMRS-20091216-1701/recovery.img...

mtd: ECC errors (0 soft, 1 hard) at 0x00260000

Running "nanroid-mobile.sh -b --norecovery" does succeed but that doesn't really help matters much.

Is it possible the NAND is no longer partitioned in the same way?

What else can I try?

The "won't boot" problem started as soon as I installed Superboot - the first step! What would be really helpful is if someone with a vanilla (unrooted) that *has* the December update could:

- Power on with VolDown, Red held to enter Fastboot.

- Use "fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img" to boot the Amon-Ra recovery image (without flashing it!)

- Perform a nandroid backup & send me boot.img

To recover his, you could just apply the 'December Update' again no?

I plan to compare the stock boot img to the custom ROM boot img to see if there are any differences or whether it is just the custom kernel that is causing problems.

P

To recover his, you could just apply the 'December Update' again no?

You mean your repackaged zip file? Tried that... it sits in a reboot loop and I don't even see anything with "adb logcat".

Can't go through the T-Mobile process with their .app file 'cos I need a working phone to do that on!

Guest flash2004
Hmm....

I have this problem. I have two Pulse's here... one is mine.... the other belongs to a colleague (guess which one has a problem).

His device isn't happy at all, it just sits in a reboot loop. I've tried to flash MCR 1.5 onto it, tried the stock Tmobile update zip, tried to restore a NANDROID backup from my working device onto it etc.

Fastboot on the good device has a Build Date of "Sep 10 2009, 23:24:35". On the brick has "Nov 26 2009, 11:05:05".

So I can boot into recovery and fiddle from there.. if I boot recovery, wipe data, install the MCR 1.5 and then reboot running "adb logcat" then it gets a good way through the boot sequence, gets as far as "Starting Audio Service" and then adb quits and the phone reboots.

What I've noticed is interesting is that the recovery image can't do a nandroid backup, instead I get ECC errors:

Dumping recovery to /sdcard/nandroid/mem=128M/BCDMRS-20091216-1701/recovery.img...

Running "nanroid-mobile.sh -b --norecovery" does succeed but that doesn't really help matters much.

What else can I try?

The "won't boot" problem started as soon as I installed Superboot - the first step! What would be really helpful is if someone with a vanilla (unrooted) that *has* the December update could:

- Use "fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img" to boot the Amon-Ra recovery image (without flashing it!)

I just received my 2nd pulse today (have only updated my contacts & other apps on it)

If I do this, will it also send across all my contacts, files & other info ?

I just received my 2nd pulse today (have only updated my contacts & other apps on it)

If I do this, will it also send across all my contacts, files & other info ?

Nope - when you do a nandroid backup it'll create the following files:

boot.img

cache.img

data.img

misc.img

recovery.img

system.img

I just want boot.img (and possibly recovery.img might be useful too) - neither of these contain any of your data (which is in data.img/cache.img... the apps etc are in system.img).

Guest flash2004

boot.img

cache.img

data.img

misc.img

recovery.img

system.img

I just want boot.img (and possibly recovery.img might be useful too) - neither of these contain any of your data (which is in data.img/cache.img... the apps etc are in system.img).

ok.. will send this when I reach home today...

Hmm....

What else can I try?

On my dec updated pulse the nandroid backup works with no issues.

boot.img

cache.img

data.img

misc.img

recovery.img

system.img

Doesn't nandroid restore do the boot.img file too , in which case doing it manually will make no difference? Worth a try though I guess

Guest Shuflie
You mean your repackaged zip file? Tried that... it sits in a reboot loop and I don't even see anything with "adb logcat".

Can't go through the T-Mobile process with their .app file 'cos I need a working phone to do that on!

Can't you just copy the updata.app and the userdata.hwcfg files to the SD card then turn on with vol+ and the red button pressed?

Guest flash2004
ok.. will send this when I reach home today...

@Jakdaw : Here are the files. This is from a fresh T-mobile pulse phone (without Recovery or Superboot) (Just hoping that I am not violating any forum rules by posting these links ;))

http://rapidshare.com/files/321750842/boot.img.html MD5: E83BFD03E700EF8F42289ABA22F77EA7

http://rapidshare.com/files/321750845/recovery.img.html MD5: 44CEE45DD1C9445256B8D8D9C967A51E

Cheers,

Edited by flash2004

Guest Shuflie

The boot.img file won't do you any good, maepro has already tried flashing just a boot.img file and it didn't get him anywhere. Try putting the update back on using the instructions for the earlier update.

Step 4. Copy the entire dload folder (with update.app in it) to the root directory of the MICRO SD card.

Step 5. Insert the MICRO SD card into the handset, and press three keys (End Key, Voice + Key, Power Key) at the same time. Then Handset will start upgrade by itself.

Should hopefully get you back to where it was before you started messing about with it.

I thought their file you applied from bootloader no? Not done it myself yet! ;)

P

I remember seeing a post somewhere saying that as of 1.5 the kernel doesn't allow root access (maybe was on a hero), just wondering if the new issue is partly caused by huawei catching up with the latest 1.5 kernel? In which case, should the open source be released as it should be, it might be possible to work out why? Also, the post mentioned that it was possible to get it back somehow.

mentioned here...

http://www.ddj.com/mobile/217500574

Edited by rjm2k

The boot.img file won't do you any good, maepro has already tried flashing just a boot.img file and it didn't get him anywhere. Try putting the update back on using the instructions for the earlier update.

Should hopefully get you back to where it was before you started messing about with it.

I did that, but it shows update failed. ;)

Guest Spook Tooth
does this fix the bug when your listening or watching something on e.g. youtube then suddenly it starts to play your music from your library, that bug is really annoying

At first I thought yes it had but no, it flaming well doesn't fix this bug. It seems it's only when you've got headphones attached that it happens. Sound quality does seem improved though.