December 2009: T-Mobile Pulse software update

Guest apavli

Guest Shuflie
Right, so it's the MoDaCo Custom Kernel that breaks with the December update. I'm not sure i'm willing to give up compcache, EXT3/4 etc. etc.! ;)

P

Isn't it a bit late now though ;)

So, interestingly when I now boot the recovery image on the now-returned-to-T-Mobile-December-stock Pulse, it still can't perform a Nandroid backup:

/ # nandroid-mobile.sh -b

nandroid-mobile v2.2.1

Using G1 keyboard, enter a prefix substring and then
or just to accept default:

Using - prefix to create a backup folder

mounting system and data read-only, sdcard read-write
checking free space on sdcard
Dumping boot to /sdcard/nandroid/mem=128M/BCDMRS-20091217-1057/boot.img...done
mtd: ECC errors (0 soft, 1 hard) at 0x00260000
error reading recovery: No such file or directory
Dumping recovery to /sdcard/nandroid/mem=128M/BCDMRS-20091217-1057/recovery.img.
..mtd: ECC errors (0 soft, 1 hard) at 0x00260000
error reading recovery: No space left on device
md5sum: can't open '/sdcard/nandroid/mem=128M/BCDMRS-20091217-1057/recovery.img'
: No such file or directory
md5sum: can't open '/sdcard/nandroid/mem=128M/BCDMRS-20091217-1057/recovery.img'
md5sum: can't open '/sdcard/nandroid/mem=128M/BCDMRS-20091217-1057/recovery.img': No such file or directory
Fatal error while trying to dump recovery, aborting.
[/codebox]

Guest Shuflie
... update from me...

boot.img didn't help, just like Paul predicted, but applying the T-Mobile December update again did get it booting again.

Strange, that's what I had suggested doing earlier but Yaboo said it didn't work for him ;)

Guest screwface
MCR 1.1 - U8230 Vanilla Cupcake Style is now compatible with the December update, see first post in it's topic for details.

P

If i'm already running your U8320 custom rom do i just install the update as normal?

Guest mackiem
Yes, but you'll lose the ability to use custom kernels.

P

Thanks Paul got my phone to boot by reapplying the update. Crap so I'm stuck without custom kernels. Was able to install the updated roms that you made compatible with the december update.

So is your handset post-december or pre-december?

Edited by mackiem

Guest Spook Tooth

Sound is improved, both in volume output and quality. This goes for multimedia playback and importantly, call quality. The speaker is no longer noisy, it's not great when compared to my Nokia N95 but it does the job.

The headphones bug remains - ie, if you're watching a video and decide to plug your own headphones in (with 2.5mm adapter), the sodding music player still tries to start up resulting in the video picture freezing whilst audio continues.

Guest _melchett

sorry to ask yet another noob question, but does this permanently block the ability to update the kernal, or is it only currently block until the geniuses in this forum sort out a fix? As i understand it 2.0 uses a different kernal (does 1.6?) so by updating to Dec 09 will it block the ability to upgrade to these (once these are also eventually crafted)?

TMobile / Hauwai should surely still be able to update the kernal in the future?

You can update the kernel, it's just our custom one causes reboots for some reason! ;)

P

I remember seeing that a while ago someone claimed they had found an error in libandroid_runtime.so which caused the phone to reboot unexpectedly. I can't find the post that said that, but here's one by the same guy that just mentions the error, but doesn't give any symptoms or evidence: http://groups.google.com/group/android-dev...d70ac935e6b16c6

I notice that with this update you don't need to be holding the phone in your hand for the touch screen to work. You can operate it one-handed while it's lying flat on the table.

Guest blaze23
I notice that with this update you don't need to be holding the phone in your hand for the touch screen to work. You can operate it one-handed while it's lying flat on the table.

can anyone else confirm this.