O2 MMS problems

Guest Shuflie

Guest le_lutin
Well I think I'm running a custom rom.....I got this phone for christmas from e-mail and it was already rooted, apparantly its running:

ModaCo Custom ROM Version 1.1.

Whatever that means ;)

I have been playing about with the settings shown on the previouse page (But using payandgo settings rather than contact) and I get nowt. But I do have an old phone with the same settings, so it must be something to do with the custom rom :)

Well I have the stock ROM (ie I haven't messed about with the phone at all), and the settings on the previous page do not work for me.

Guest le_lutin
Nope. Still not working for me on O2 contract.

As far as I can see, only 1 user in the whole forum has got the MMS settings for O2 working. The user is halfords45 and he posted the settings. I (and a few others on here), have exactly the same setup as halfords45 (stock ROM with O2 simplicity) and yet are unable to get MMS working using the settings he posted. 

He either has different settings elsewhere in his pulse or there is a typo somewhere in the settings that he posted.

Guest screwface

Thank you for your recent handset enquiry regarding handset settings. Please find your settings details below.

GPRS WAP & MMS

Please note all steps must be completed to ensure the settings are correctly configured.

Please ensure that when entering O2 into the settings that the letter O is selected and not a zero.

When entering the following information do not press Save until told to in the instructions.

• Press the Menu key
  • Tap Settings
  • Tap Wireless controls
  • Tap Mobile networks
  • Tap Access Point Names
  • Press the Menu key
  • Tap New APN
  • Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Pay Monthly then tap OK
  • Tap APN thentap the text box and enter wap.o2.co.uk then tap OK
  • Tap Proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
  • Tap Port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
  • Tap Username then tap the text box and enter o2wap then tap OK
  • Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK
  • Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 then tap OK
  • Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
  • Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
  • Press the Back key
  • Tap Access Point Names
  • Tap the dot next to your new APN until a green dot appears next to it
  • Press the Back key four times to return to the standby screen.

We hope this has answered your question. Please note that replies to this email will not be actioned.

try these settings

Guest le_lutin
http://mobileguide.o2.co.uk/devices/device...d=594&tab=8

the galaxy is an android phone so surely if they sent the settings to your phone it should work?

Tried that a few weeks back. The service to send settings to phones is still down.

"Unfortunately, we are not able to process your settings request at this time. Please contact Customer Service or your account manager to discuss further options."

Edited by le_lutin

Guest starkos
http://mobileguide.o2.co.uk/devices/device...d=594&tab=8

the galaxy is an android phone so surely if they sent the settings to your phone it should work?

I honestly don't think it's settings related anymore, I've tried so many different combinations it just can't be lol! It's either something on the phone's firmware or perhaps because o2 doesn't recognise the phone on their side of things if that makes sense?

Guest le_lutin
I honestly don't think it's settings related anymore, I've tried so many different combinations it just can't be lol! It's either something on the phone's firmware or perhaps because o2 doesn't recognise the phone on their side of things if that makes sense?

I know what you mean. The only thing that goes against the above assertion is the fact that 1 person on this forum actually got it working. (unless he was lying!!)

Guest lordstew

Hi All,

I too cant get MMS to work with a Pulse on the 1.2 vanilla modaco rom and an o2 simplicity sim. I'm certain its the phone because I put the custom rom on before the o2 sim had been anywhere near the phone, upon first boot with the o2 sim the o2 settings were loaded automatically from the sim and these dont work (They previsouly worked fine in various nokia phones. A t mobile payg sim worked fine for mms in the phone so I think there is a hard coded t mobile setting somewhere!

Its a shame as apart from this issue the phone is excellent. Cheers to Paul for the custom roms too.

Regards,

Stew

Guest Wharf82

I agree with a previous poster; I think this problem is O2 related.

I've tried so many combinations of settings none of which work. I think that O2 must have to 'allow' the device to send MMS on their network, with a device ID or something. I can send MMS fine with my T-Mobile sim in the phone but switch to the O2 sim and configure the settings and it's a no no!

Let's face it until O2 add the device to their 'white list' MMS is not going to work on the Pulse. I rang up O2 for what it's worth and surprise surprise the phone does not exist apparently!

Strange the settings work fine for web browsing though, just not for MMS!

I will probably be requesting my PAC code and porting to T-Mobile, luckily I do get a good signal at home and work with T-Mobile. Shame though because on O2 you can use your inclusive text allowance for MMS, and for sending texts from abroad, which is handy!

Guest le_lutin
I agree with a previous poster; I think this problem is O2 related.

I've tried so many combinations of settings none of which work. I think that O2 must have to 'allow' the device to send MMS on their network, with a device ID or something. I can send MMS fine with my T-Mobile sim in the phone but switch to the O2 sim and configure the settings and it's a no no!

Let's face it until O2 add the device to their 'white list' MMS is not going to work on the Pulse. I rang up O2 for what it's worth and surprise surprise the phone does not exist apparently!

Strange the settings work fine for web browsing though, just not for MMS!

I will probably be requesting my PAC code and porting to T-Mobile, luckily I do get a good signal at home and work with T-Mobile. Shame though because on O2 you can use your inclusive text allowance for MMS, and for sending texts from abroad, which is handy!

Hmmm... not too sure if it's o2 blocking... i mean, there are loads of phones which aren't available through o2 that work with MMS, i find it hard to believe that there is a device "whitelist". My last phone was a nokia 5530, I got it on the first day it came out - it wasn't o2 but was unlocked - MMS worked perfectly within minutes. I can't imagine that o2 had the phone on a whitelist at that stage.

It must be some hackable parameter that the phone sends. There must be a way to dummy the request. This might sound stupid, but is MMS done over http? A traffic sniffer on the phone might reveal a few things.

Guest le_lutin

From http://www.nowsms.com/howmmsworks.htm :

The MMSC generates an MMS notification message, which is sent via WAP Push over SMS to the message recipient(s). This MMS notification message contains a URL pointer to the dynamically generated MMS content.

The recipient receives the MMS notification message. It then initiates a data connection that provides TCP/IP network connectivity (usually over GPRS).

The recipient phone performs an HTTP (or WSP) get to retrieve the MMS message content URL from the MMSC.

So, we all get the notification message when we're sent an MMS, right? It seems that really all this message contains is a URL to the picture/video, which is downloaded over http. I can't understand what could be failing (concentrating on us being the recipients for the moment).

There must be some debugging we can do around this to see what's going on.

Edited by le_lutin

Guest robot1000

Just wanted to know if anyone's found a solution

It's quite frustrating having quite an exceptional phone but with an important feature not working

Edited by robot1000

Guest meinnit
Just wanted to know if anyone's found a solution

It's quite frustrating having a quite exceptional phone but with an important feature not working

Ive tried many combos but haven't managed to get it working :)

Guest robot1000
Ive tried many combos but haven't managed to get it working :)

I found this link on o2 http://mobileguide.o2.co.uk/devices/device...;settingId=2796 which gives instructions for a similar android phone, but there is no way of enabling it once all the settings are entered.

I've also just noticed that on the main O2 APN, the username is Vertigo. Could that be having an effect on it?

Edited by robot1000

Guest starkos
I found this link on o2 http://mobileguide.o2.co.uk/devices/device...;settingId=2796 which gives instructions for a similar android phone, but there is no way of enabling it once all the settings are entered.

I've also just noticed that on the main O2 APN, the username is Vertigo. Could that be having an effect on it?

Nah it won't make a difference in this instance unfortunately. I've tried plenty of different settings including those you linked with no luck, therefore concluding it's something more than just the settings.. :)

Guest dalesgateway

Currently Running MoDaCo Custom ROM 1.7 (U8230 Version)

I don't know if this will help or even has anything to do with the MMS problem but with my o2 simplicity sim in I've noticed that in Settings/About_phone/Status that the Phone number is listed as unknown.

Don't know if the phone number is listed correctly under the standard T-Mobile ROM as I haven't tried it.

I too have tried all the settings listed with no luck and am afraid this is all I am able to add to the discussion.

Guest curryhouse

Hi, I have tried Tesco sim and now o2 sim. I get nice 3g fast internet with o2 sim but am having same problems as most others, MMS still will not work on my pulse.

When I was in o2 I asked manager if he would help put settings in manually for MMS he said the pulse was not yet supported by o2 and therefore will not be able to send/receive MMS.

Do you think this is true and the o2 network has been programmed to deny MMS capability to phones not sold by o2?

I am now thinking about getting a T-mobile sim but I hoped somebody might have an idea what could be done with o2 because Im not entirely sure about T-mobile coverage in uk.

Cheers

Curry

Guest robot1000
No orange MMS here, pretty annoying really if anyone knows any settings give me a shout

Cheers

It's nothing to do with the settings. It's to do with the firmware blocking the mms feature on any network apart from T-mobile

Guest le_lutin
It's nothing to do with the settings. It's to do with the firmware blocking the mms feature on any network apart from T-mobile

Are you sure about this? I have Pauls vanilla android rom and the mms for o2 doesnt work on it.