O2 MMS problems

Guest Shuflie

Guest robot1000
Woohoo!

Got it working even when you change networks from 2g/3g!

The key was to swap the "numeric" values of the apns in the telephony.db.

I will look into making this into an apk, but if anyone has any experience in this they might be able to rustle up something very quickly (it's just sqlite statements with a java wrapper I think).

Updated script attached.

Please let me know if this works for you.

How do you upload that script to the android?

I think you would have one apk, but different options within it. Not sure. Does the script I made work for you?

I will have to try it tonight and get back to you.

Stick it on your sd card.

Installed the terminal emulator and ran the files in the zip but no luck (vanilla 1.7 ROM and o2 contract).

Internet also stopped working until I rebooted the handset. MMS message still sat in Chomp outbox. Does the messaging client in use make a difference ?

Edited by jlgmax

Guest andymac007
Woohoo!

I will look into making this into an apk, but if anyone has any experience in this they might be able to rustle up something very quickly (it's just sqlite statements with a java wrapper I think).

Updated script attached.

Will this work for o2 pay as you go?

Guest le_lutin
Installed the terminal emulator and ran the files in the zip but no luck (vanilla 1.7 ROM and o2 contract).

Internet also stopped working until I rebooted the handset. MMS message still sat in Chomp outbox. Does the messaging client in use make a difference ?

Try this:

Delete all your apns, take out the battery of your pulse and then power on. The default o2 apn should load and you should automatically have access to the internet. Then rerun my script. That should work.

Edited by le_lutin

Guest robot1000
Try this: take out the battery of your pulse and then power on. The default apn should load and you should automatically have access to the internet. Then rerun my script. That should work.

I've just installed the Terminal emulator and have now got the zip on my SD Card.

What do I need to type into the Terminal to run the script?

Guest le_lutin
I've just installed the Terminal emulator and have now got the zip on my SD Card.

Instructions are on the previous page, post 103.

Also, make sure to follow the instructions from post 131 before you execute the script.

Edited by le_lutin

I deleted my existing o2 APN, removed the battery and rebooted, but it didnt pick up my default o2 APN from my SIM (there were no APNs listed at all). I manually added the o2 APN again using the settings posted in this thread, and checked that the internet was working ok.

I then ran the update file again and tried to send a test message but it has not sent Im afraid. There was network activity on the display at first for a few seconds but then it stopped and has sat with no activity for a few minutes now.

Guest le_lutin
I deleted my existing o2 APN, removed the battery and rebooted, but it didnt pick up my default o2 APN from my SIM (there were no APNs listed at all). I manually added the o2 APN again using the settings posted in this thread, and checked that the internet was working ok.

I then ran the update file again and tried to send a test message but it has not sent Im afraid. There was network activity on the display at first for a few seconds but then it stopped and has sat with no activity for a few minutes now.

This might be a silly question, but have you rooted your device?

Do you have a file explorer on your phone (like ES file explorer)? If so, could you post the telephony.db (attach it in a post). You'll find it at the following location:

/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

This might be a silly question, but have you rooted your device?

Do you have a file explorer on your phone (like ES file explorer)? If so, could you post the telephony.db (attach it in a post). You'll find it at the following location:

/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

OK - sorted ES File Explorer - telephony.db attached...

telephony.rar

Edited by jlgmax

Guest le_lutin
Hmm I thought it was rooted, and if I type "su" in terminal emulator I get the permission pop up dialogue box. However in ES file explorer when I look in the \data folder it just displays "Empty Folder"....!

You sure you are not looking at the data folder on your sd card? The address bar in es explorer shows you where you are.

Oh yes, and always give the terminal root access. I'm not sure my script will work otherwise (although it might).

Edited by le_lutin

You sure you are not looking at the data folder on your sd card? The address bar in es explorer shows you where you are.

Oh yes, and always give the terminal root access. I'm not sure my script will work otherwise (although it might).

No my ES file explorer settings werent set up to allow root access - sorted now and here is my telephony.db !

telephony.rar

Guest zuccster
Woohoo!

Updated script attached.

Hey, nice one B)

My telephony.db is completely hosed now from hours of buggering about. To be honest, I never use MMS, so I'm not all that bothered if it works for me or not, but it was fun to help track down the problem :)

Guest le_lutin
Hey, nice one B)

My telephony.db is completely hosed now from hours of buggering about. To be honest, I never use MMS, so I'm not all that bothered if it works for me or not, but it was fun to help track down the problem :)

Thanks for a million your help on this zuccster. I'd say there's nothing too wrong about your db, just swap those numeric values and you'll be alright!

Guest le_lutin
No my ES file explorer settings werent set up to allow root access - sorted now and here is my telephony.db !

jlgmax, what ROM are you using? You have a smaller list of APNs than I do (I'm using modaco vanilla android 1.7).

In any case I have modified the script now so that it should work for you (and anyone else on o2).

Give it a try. When you execute the script, you should see that the last line of output is the o2 apn. it should have a numeric value around the the start of the line of 23430 (after the apn id and the apn name) and at the very end of the line there should be a 1 (to indicate that it is the default)

o2_MMS_fix.zip

jlgmax, what ROM are you using? You have a smaller list of APNs than I do (I'm using modaco vanilla android 1.7).

In any case I have modified the script now so that it should work for you (and anyone else on o2).

Give it a try. When you execute the script, you should see that the last line of output is the o2 apn. it should have a numeric value around the the start of the line of 23430 (after the apn id and the apn name) and at the very end of the line there should be a 1 (to indicate that it is the default)

Thanks !

Im also on Modaco Vanilla 1.7, using an o2 simplicity SIM.

Just re-ran the revised file. Internet works OK, but still no MMS :)

I checked the details in the emulator window when the file ran and the o2 entry was as described above, with the 1 at the end to indicate it is the default.

I then rebooted the handset and now bizarrely my o2 APN has vanished and has been replaced by a T-Mobile UK APN (which is unselected - ie no green dot next to it) and underneath its called general.t-mobile.uk !

So currently I have no internet or MMS (internet can easily be fixed by manually creating the APN again).

*UPDATE* - I clicked on the T Mobile APN to see the settings, then closed back out of it.... and it has disappeared from the APN page ! So I now have no APNs listed at all.

Edited by jlgmax

Guest le_lutin
Thanks !

Im also on Modaco Vanilla 1.7, using an o2 simplicity SIM.

Just re-ran the revised file. Internet works OK, but still no MMS :)

I checked the details in the emulator window when the file ran and the o2 entry was as described above, with the 1 at the end to indicate it is the default.

I then rebooted the handset and now bizarrely my o2 APN has vanished and has been replaced by a T-Mobile UK APN (which is unselected - ie no green dot next to it) and underneath its called general.t-mobile.uk !

So currently I have no internet or MMS (internet can easily be fixed by manually creating the APN again).

*UPDATE* - I clicked on the T Mobile APN to see the settings, then closed back out of it.... and it has disappeared from the APN page ! So I now have no APNs listed at all.

Can you please send me your telephony db again (it will be different)?

I really want to get this working for you (and by god, we will get it working!)

Can you please send me your telephony db again (it will be different)?

I really want to get this working for you (and by god, we will get it working!)

Sure - Ive attached it here. Thanks so much for trying - it is greatly appreciated !!!

telephony.rar

Sure - Ive attached it here. Thanks so much for trying - it is greatly appreciated !!!

Im sure Ive asked this before - but Im using a Turbo SIM to bypass the provider lock - will that be making any difference ?

Guest starkos

Nice to see people are still working hard on this :) Unfortunately le_lutin this new idea of changing numerical field works the same as before for me; only temporary and can stop any time. But also because you're changing mcc/mnc values it will have the effect that jlgmax stated above of hiding it in the apn list..

So are you saying that by using this new method that it works constantly and consistently for you le_lutin? It's shame there's no information anywhere that states how the default apn's are chosen as that may be the root cause... B)

Edit: Forgot we already know what sets the default apns (apns-conf.xml). Strange thing is if you delete the T-Mob data from it (id 95), it doesn't show in the telephony.db but all entries are set to NULL instead. I wonder what T-Mob could have done to tell/restrict the phone to that single entry??

Edited by starkos

Guest le_lutin
Im sure Ive asked this before - but Im using a Turbo SIM to bypass the provider lock - will that be making any difference ?

Not sure if the turbo SIM would have any effect.

Your telephony.db is still wrong, but i've made a script just for you, to sort it out.

Give it a go,

By the way, if anyone wants to see the apns in the telephony.db, they can download sqlite browser.

jlg.zip

Edited by le_lutin

Not sure if the turbo SIM would have any effect.

Your telephony.db is still wrong, but i've made a script just for you, to sort it out.

Give it a go,

By the way, if anyone wants to see the apns in the telephony.db, they can download sqlite browser.

Do I need to recreate the o2 APN manually first ?

Guest le_lutin
Do I need to recreate the o2 APN manually first ?

Execute the script. then send an MMS without adding an apn, if that doesn't work, add the apn and then try MMS.

@Starkos, I have it working 100% for me (and I will do the same for jlgmax - if his patience can stand it!)

Execute the script. then send an MMS without adding an apn, if that doesn't work, add the apn and then try MMS.

@Starkos, I have it working 100% for me (and I will do the same for jlgmax - if his patience can stand it!)

OK - executed - no internet or MMS connectivity !

No APNs visible in the list.

Im about to add the o2 APN manually. Should I use the contract settings on page 2 of this thread or do they need to be revised at all ?!

Thanks !