HTC Bravo = Google Nexus One?

Guest cezent

Have been hearing a lot of android device news lately and pretty confused as well. So is the leaked HTC Bravo the same phone as the rumoured Google Nexus One? It seems some of the high profile financial medias are getting it all mixed up as well. I would personally always prefer HTC over Google simply because of the Sense UI, that is if the HTC Bravo exists at all!! any thoughts?

Guest stevenz
Have been hearing a lot of android device news lately and pretty confused as well. So is the leaked HTC Bravo the same phone as the rumoured Google Nexus One? It seems some of the high profile financial medias are getting it all mixed up as well. I would personally always prefer HTC over Google simply because of the Sense UI, that is if the HTC Bravo exists at all!! any thoughts?

Bravo = Passion = Dragon = Nexus One.

There may be a different HTC version with one of the other names out later in a slightly different configuration (more/less RAM, different frequencies perhaps), but I'd put money on the fact that the Nexus One is why the Hero isn't getting an official Eclair build for a wee while yet, they'd rather encourage people to buy new hardware. That CPU and big screen makes me tempted to to do though, so if that's their plan, then it might work! ;)

Bravo = Passion = Dragon = Nexus One.

There may be a different HTC version with one of the other names out later in a slightly different configuration (more/less RAM, different frequencies perhaps), but I'd put money on the fact that the Nexus One is why the Hero isn't getting an official Eclair build for a wee while yet, they'd rather encourage people to buy new hardware. That CPU and big screen makes me tempted to to do though, so if that's their plan, then it might work! ;)

Would be rather disappointed if that's the case, the image so far linked to the Nexus One are not as attractive as HD2, the leaked image on Bravo seems rather different (better looking too)...

Will hold on to my HERO for the time being then

Guest Apo11on

Nexus One doesn't have HTC or any other branding, its a pure Google phone running vanilla version of Android v2.1. No Sense UI either - it's not Bravo or Passion - those phones are carrier bound and have branding, logos and standard HTC software.

It's rather lightweight, has 3.7" screen and Google employees who have it claim it's "faster and prettier than iphone"

Guest Apo11on

Nexus One falls short in a few important categories to qualify as ultimate "all-in-one" gadget, which is what Apple's the original intent was, when they had a vision for first iphone.

- The device has only 3.7" screen, which is not enough to make typing on soft keyboard comfortable, not enough for watching tv and multimedia contect, not enough for satisfactory web browsing experience, and not enough screen size for good GPS navigation

- It has only 5mp camera with no optical zoom. Camcoder specs are still uncofirmed, but its 720p at most, definitly no full HD 1080p recording

- It's also beleived to have only 320mb of RAM (unconfirmed)

- old bluetooth (v2.1) and old wireless modem (802.11b/g)

- its only tri-band HSDPA, without 850Mhz and 1900Mhz 3G frequencies

Luckily though, we're talking about Google. Unlike many other companies Google has a proven track record of listening to user inputs, feedback and needs. Therefore, I remain optimistic, in the next few months we'll see from Google not Nexus One, but "THE One" phone, with specs, similar to these:

- 4.5” capacitive touchscreen with multitouch

- 1.3Ghz NVIDIA Tegra CPU

- 10mp camera with 3x optical zoom and 1080p @30fps camcorder

- 512mb of RAM

- LTE (4G) radio

- 2000mAh removable battery

- under 150gram (5.29oz) weight

- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/N Draft modem

- Bluetooth v3 with A2DP and AVRCP

- Latest Android with free Google navigation

- Browser with full Flash support

NVIDIA Tegra CPU has literally 5x better benchmarks than Qualcomms Snapdragon and also 34% less power comsumption. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Guest shenshang
Nexus One doesn't have HTC or any other branding, its a pure Google phone running vanilla version of Android v2.1. No Sense UI either - it's not Bravo or Passion - those phones are carrier bound and have branding, logos and standard HTC software.

It's rather lightweight, has 3.7" screen and Google employees who have it claim it's "faster and prettier than iphone"

nope, its HTC branded, even has the htc logo above the screen like on the hero.

Guest Apo11on
nope, its HTC branded, even has the htc logo above the screen like on the hero.

unless you're working for Google and actually have the phone I have several reasons to beleive you're incorrect:

- 2 guys i know work for Google and have the phone

- this post from reliable writer clearly states no HTC logo can be found: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/exclusi...android-2-1-on/

Nexus One falls short in a few important categories to qualify as ultimate "all-in-one" gadget, which is what Apple's the original intent was, when they had a vision for first iphone.

...lots of text...

IMO 4.5" is too large to keep in the pocket. My limit goes at 4", larger then that and I don't think I'd use it.

nVidia Tegra, I doubt we'll see Snapdragon changed to Tegra. Qualcomm has more experience in this field.

Camera, not as important for me. Sure I'd like a LED/Flash but 10mp with 1080p recording? Sure I'd like it if it was there but I do not really need it.

512mb RAM I can agree with. Would be nice.

LTE/4G. It is to new. One active network in sweden and I doubt we'll see much of it in a very near future.

Battery.. More is better but it also affects the size of the phone. There has to be a combination of portability vs batterylength.

Weight lower then 150g probably not possible with above mentioned hardware.

802.11n I can agree with IF it does not mean something else is removed or cut back. Otherwise I'd rather have FM-radio for example.

BT v3 is like 4G. Very new and not really a used standard yet.

Also we gotta think about the price. Sure you can put all kinds of features into the phone but it has to be affordable by more then just a small amount of people with a lot of cash. Otherwise noone will buy it.

Guest stevenz

Seriously, if you have a genuine use for a cellphone camera that does more than 10mp, then just buy a DSLR as you're wasting your time otherwise. The optics/CCD in most cellphones can't even handle 5mp with quality rivaling a dedicated camera, WTF is the point trying to stuff another 5mp into the same CCD? 5mp with good quality optics and CCD is more than enough for anyone that doesn't want to edit them afterwards, which is probably upwards of 99% of cellphone users.

I also wouldn't hold your breath for a 1.3Ghz Tegra CPU in an Android phone in the first half of 2010, probably not all year.

It's free to dream though.

Guest sylv696

what is vanilla?

what is vanilla?

From wikipedia;

"Vanilla is also commonly used to mean "plain" or "conventional," derived from the use of vanilla extract as the most popular flavoring for ice cream."

in this case, vanilla = standard

Guest Apo11on

kosmiq several good points in your reply. here is what i think though:

I think you're determining max screen size you'd be comfortable with based on existing phones, screens with surrounding frame. Keep in mind, in all existing phones the actual screen takes about 80% of the front side real estate, while the rest are side and top/bottom bars. Side bars add at least half an inch to width and top/bottom is usually twice bigger, adding another inch in length. I'm talking innovation and I'm hoping Nexus One v2 or whatever the hell Google would call it could utilize like 95% of the surface. If you measure diagonally existing 3.5" screen phones like iphone it's gonna be like 5" at least. I'm saying there is no reason 4.5" out of that 5" couldn't be allocated for the screen, without actually increasing device size.

Tegra CPU scores literally 5x better in benchmarks than Snapdragon, and nVidia said half year ago first Tegra phones will be out in Q1 of 2010. Phone makers would be fools not to jump on that hardware chip.

LTE - I dont know where you live, but here in the US Sprint has already announced their 4G network rollout by February, and Verizon Wireless, which is the biggest carrier in the country already officialy confirmed activating LTE network in 5 states in 1st half of 2010. I'm thinking building such phone wouldn't happen overnight anyhow, so based on LTE network readiness I just mentioned the timing seems just about right to start working on this phone now.

As far as the price goes - remember it's Google - they can sell it unlocked and such device would sell in huge quantities. I'm sure plenty of people would buy it for like $600 and if they were to make carrier deals and sell the device subsidized for a network - I see $200 on 2 year contract a real possibilty

Guest Apo11on
Seriously, if you have a genuine use for a cellphone camera that does more than 10mp, then just buy a DSLR as you're wasting your time otherwise. The optics/CCD in most cellphones can't even handle 5mp with quality rivaling a dedicated camera, WTF is the point trying to stuff another 5mp into the same CCD? 5mp with good quality optics and CCD is more than enough for anyone that doesn't want to edit them afterwards, which is probably upwards of 99% of cellphone users.

I get your point about CCD and small size lens limitations. I think you're missing my point though - it's not about "needing" the camera of this size for every day use. I'm not a pro photographer either and I don't shoot pictures and movies on daily or even weekly basis. It's about "all-in-one" concept, Apple created when inventing such a touchscreen device. I bet for times when you go on vacation you have a nice 10 or 12mp digital camera, with like 5x optical zoom and decent video shooting capabilities, or that bulky DSLR you mentioned, don't you?

I'm just saying devices like this: http://mobile.engadget.com/2009/09/29/sams...-made-official/ prove the current technology level allows to incorporate a real good camera/camcoder into hand held pocket device and device price (which is more than what many decent notebooks out there cost) justifies consumers expecting of companies make it happen.

I don't want to have and carry around both - a phone and a digital camera when i go to vacation or a party, if i'm 100% sure it's possible to put both in 1 device, do you?....

Guest munkimatt

The Bravo isn't the Nexus One. The Bravo spec and pictures shows an optical trackpad while the Nexus ONe has the standard roller trackball. Also the Bravo has physical buttons while the Nexus seems to have capacitive touch buttons.

Edited by munkimatt

If the screen size can be 4" with a very small frame I think it'd be ok. If we'll see it in a near future is another thing though. If they can do it, I am all in of course, IF a phone with 4" is about the same size as a phone with 3.5" is now!

Sure I'd be happy to see the Tegra in a cellphone as well but we gotta be realistic. Android has to get support for Tegra, manufacturers have to build phones with it and it has to be tested. Even if performance is higher software needs to be optimized for it. Also there has to be a lot of testing done to make sure that there are no compatiblity errors and so on. I doubt we will see phones with it in a near future.

As for LTE I live in sweden where Telia already launched their first LTE-network in Stockholm. First in the world actually. One problem is that there are still no 4G modems available on the market that supports both 3G and 4G. There are some chipets manufactured, the network itself is prepared for it but it is yet to be market ready. The hardware for the Nexus One is already done and I would not release a phone with some of the first chipsets for the core in a cellphone that is the 3G/4G/Whatever-part. If the chipset is changed there is also the need to develop support for Android with 4G, a new chipset and it needs a lot of testing. Also keep in mind the actual need for it from consumers. 3G is well known and has been around for a long time. However we still have pretty low speeds and datalimits (10gb is becoming standard here in sweden for 3G deals). Do we really need 100mbit to our cellphones when we barely have the need for 7.2MBits or 14.4Mbits (available on some places here). If you're using your cellphone to your computer as your primary connection then sure, you need it. But as the connection for the phone itself? Probably not.

The price on the other hand. When I said consider the price I already imagined a price somewhere around $600. If we add Tegra, LTE, 10mp camera and so on I'd say we'd be around $800 instead. Taxes on electric equipment is fairly high here in sweden... ;)

Guest Apo11on

LTE 100mbps/50mbps speeds are purely theoretical. As it turns out: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/teliaso...data-downloads/ the real speeds on your world's first TeliaSonera network are much more realistic. And yes, many people could actually use the 40mbit downloads.

I myself, am rocking Slingbox Pro-HD and using SlingPlayer Mobile on my phone. When you stream fast motion basketball game live from TV to phone over internet connection - it better not be going through Verizon's crappy EV-DO Rev A, which is only like 1mbit and is considered to be "3G" - you get slide show instead of continuous stream many times.

Guest youdontknowme

So I have a Google Nexus One.

please don't ask where I got but I've had it for a couple weeks now, before they were given out to Google employees

I am willing to answer any questions re: hardware

I think most of the software questions have been answered seeing as how the rom has already been ported to droid

my biggest question right now is how I can get this phone into recovery mode

I've tried the home key while powering up but that doesn't work

I'm a little scared to try and replace recovery with one from the community simply because if something screws up I'm not confident I'll be able to reset it.

Anyway - I have one sitting here and like I said, if anyone wants to know something specific about it let me know and I'll try and answer.

Been trying to get wireless tether working but am missing the kernel mods necessary ( net filter )

Any help on this would be appreciated

BTW, I've had the phone on both T-mobile and ATT, 3G works on T-mobile but Edge is the best you can get with ATT, this has been covered by some of the blogs out there I know, just wanted to confirm

Guest bazzawhite
From wikipedia;

"Vanilla is also commonly used to mean "plain" or "conventional," derived from the use of vanilla extract as the most popular flavoring for ice cream."

in this case, vanilla = standard

Android 1.5 = "Cupcake"

Android 1.6 = "Donut"

Android 2.0 = "Eclair"

Android 2.1 = "Vanilla"

They are aliases.

Hope that answers it for you.

Guest Dan Mullen
Android 1.5 = "Cupcake"

Android 1.6 = "Donut"

Android 2.0 = "Eclair"

Android 2.1 = "Vanilla"

They are aliases.

Hope that answers it for you.

;)

No, Phily was correct - "vanilla" just means plain. AFAIK, the name to be used after "Eclair" is "Flan" - notice the lettering... like Ubuntu names, they are going alphabetical.

So I have a Google Nexus One.

please don't ask where I got but I've had it for a couple weeks now, before they were given out to Google employees

I am willing to answer any questions re: hardware

I think most of the software questions have been answered seeing as how the rom has already been ported to droid

my biggest question right now is how I can get this phone into recovery mode

I've tried the home key while powering up but that doesn't work

I'm a little scared to try and replace recovery with one from the community simply because if something screws up I'm not confident I'll be able to reset it.

Anyway - I have one sitting here and like I said, if anyone wants to know something specific about it let me know and I'll try and answer.

Been trying to get wireless tether working but am missing the kernel mods necessary ( net filter )

Any help on this would be appreciated

BTW, I've had the phone on both T-mobile and ATT, 3G works on T-mobile but Edge is the best you can get with ATT, this has been covered by some of the blogs out there I know, just wanted to confirm

Does it have FM radio? is the trackball optical or roller?