[ROM] O2LITE WM 6.5.3 Edition [SOON]

Guest rodrigofd

Guest Mr Man2003
In fact, I have tried cooking WM 6.1 ROM during the last several days. No problem with relocation at all. I have more than 100 MB free RAM. ;)

Yeh man... That's what am looking for ;)

Cooked WM6.1 ROM ;)

I think it will be better than WM6.5 in RAM size and performance as well...

Will be waiting for this one and hope it'll have TF3D included ;)

Guest FerdiBorbon
In fact, I have tried cooking WM 6.1 ROM during the last several days. No problem with relocation at all. I have more than 100 MB free RAM. ;)

Hi Khuanchai im a big 6.1 fan, ill be using it for a while until the 6.5+ roms are stable with great performance,

are you able release this cooked rom? i would really love to have a faster rom than original I1 ;) ;)!

A Lite version would be nice, but please leave Touchplayer, thats all i need thats factory ;)

Edited by FerdiBorbon

Just my guess, eboot is short form of Ethernet Bootloader. I do a quick search in the Internet. I suspect Samsung is using Microsoft Platform Builder to build the eb0 file.

Platform Builder for Microsoft Windows CE 5.0

Ethernet Boot Loader

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms901800.aspx

Also take a look on this ( http://blogs.msdn.com/ce_base/archive/2006....0-and-6.0.aspx )

Config.bib – this contains a lot of configuration info for a CE OS image. The MEMORY section is what we’ll focus on – it defines the memory blueprint for the CE image. Here are the important terms:

RAMIMAGE – This is the virtual address region that the kernel and any other components you select for your image will be placed in. This can be RAM or linearly addressable flash. Your config.bib file should have exactly one RAMIMAGE section. It needs to be virtually contiguous, and it needs to be large enough to hold whatever components you’ve selected.

RAM – This is the virtual address region of RAM that the kernel can allocate to applications and RAM-based file systems. It needs to be virtually contiguous. (If you need a non-contiguous section, you can allocate another, non-virtually-contiguous section at run-time by implementing the OEMGetExtensionDRAM function, but that’s outside our scope)

RESERVED – These are virtual address regions that are set aside – the kernel won’t allocate memory in these addresses and components won’t be placed in these addresses.

AUTOSIZE - In the CONFIG section, we have the AUTOSIZE=ON (or OFF) variable. If this variable is on, it will treat the RAMIMAGE and RAM regions as a single region, allocating just enough space to hold all of the components to the RAMIMAGE section and making the rest of the space available as RAM. This is a pretty convenient and easy way to make sure you’re getting maximal use out of your RAM. One thing autosize won’t do is interfere with reserved or unallocated regions.

maybe you/someone should ask microsoft itself for this? this is ridiculous, there is no app that need 100MB Video RAM on a phone yet...

Edited by nap_rz

Guest Michael Pang
maybe you/someone should ask microsoft itself for this? this is ridiculous, there is no app that need 100MB Video RAM on a phone yet...

no, the size of the reserved memory is set by the one who build the eboot. not by microsoft

no, the size of the reserved memory is set by the one who build the eboot. not by microsoft

but microsoft is the one who know exactly what have samsung done or what anyone have to do concerning RAM allocation, right? no?

I thought eboot is a part of the whole platform made by microsoft? like PC BIOS made by IBM back then?

First Omnia 2 I8000 Custom ROM With Windows Mobile 6.5.3 on the works!! ;) ;)

Stay tuned ;)

Sure! I won't change the channel! Actually my remote has been broken since IK5-Lite>LEO2!

Guest Ganhiru

I found the following String in the eboot file at hex offset 26630

E n t e r 0 x 4 0 0 0 0 0 < = P o o l S i z e < = 0 x 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 B o u n d a r y

M B : 0 x E n t e r t h e N e w P a g i n g P o o l s i z e ( H e x ) M B : 0 x 1 4 M

Is the default PagePool 20 MB? and can editing this value change that size.

For the 100MB reserved RAM, well I could not find anything as obvious as this in the file.

I also wonder what amount of this reserved RAM should be claimed back for normal use. More then Half sounds unwise, and less then 1/4 seems to conservative, so getting in between those two, id think around 35MB what would give a total of 174MB and well about 35MB more free RAM with "Stock Samsung" Configuration Running.

I hope you can find the setting, After taking a look I sure as hell know I'm not going to find it.

Edit:

Perhaps comparing the diffrences between Eboot files in Roms where the total RAM was diffrent. I comared the Ik1 and IL2 eboot files and found 161 diffrences. With the IH5 rom there are even 575.282 differences, WINHEX is not the best editor to do a comparison like that, I'd rather see a overview with coloring of the differences.

Edited by Ganhiru

I found the following String in the eboot file at hex offset 26630

E n t e r 0 x 4 0 0 0 0 0 < = P o o l S i z e < = 0 x 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 B o u n d a r y

M B : 0 x E n t e r t h e N e w P a g i n g P o o l s i z e ( H e x ) M B : 0 x 1 4 M

Is the default PagePool 20 MB? and can editing this value change that size.

For the 100MB reserved RAM, well I could not find anything as obvious as this in the file.

I also wonder what amount of this reserved RAM should be claimed back for normal use. More then Half sounds unwise, and less then 1/4 seems to conservative, so getting in between those two, id think around 35MB what would give a total of 174MB and well about 35MB more free RAM with "Stock Samsung" Configuration Running.

I hope you can find the setting, After taking a look I sure as hell know I'm not going to find it.

I guess the exact reserved RAM is about 96MB, so IMO 48MB is already enough for both the GPU and additional FREE RAM ;)

have u found anything like 96?

Guest Ganhiru
I guess the exact reserved RAM is about 96MB, so IMO 48MB is already enough for both the GPU and additional FREE RAM :(

have u found anything like 96?

96 as a string twice. And the hex 60 about 2600 times But If one would calculate this in KB , 98304 KB this integer was not found in the file, But 100663296 or 6000000 in Hex was found at offset 5C2 , and only there, no where else in the file.

post-504326-1260972204_thumb.png

:( Is there some one willing to risk ;) bricking ;) their ;) device by having the value. ;) :( to 3000000 or 48MB :P

Edit: Um ok, So I forgot to turn a option on while searching, the 100663296 value is found 10 times. in total...

So thinking on from there, I searched 100000000 ( 5F5E100 in hex ) and Found that value only 1 time at 7DE78

post-504326-1260975837_thumb.png

Still I doubt 95,37 MB is the exact amount of reserved ram, It is not impossible though.

Ok lets see, 139,15MB total + 95,37MB = 234,52 MB

If I follow the Samsung RAM display with a total of 210,18 MB - 139,15 = 71,03 MB ( and there I can't find any thing of )

So I hope this puts some one on the right track.

Edited by Ganhiru

Guest frankcilo
Vow, that's great news! Thank you very much.

The 139 MB RAM is not too bad though, compared to previous devices. However, more is better. ;)

great!! when you cook wm6.1 rom multilanguage? I'm back to wm6.1, more stable and don't autoclose program in background!!!

Guest rodrigofd
great!! when you cook wm6.1 rom multilanguage? I'm back to wm6.1, more stable and don't autoclose program in background!!!

i won't cook in WM 6.1... stability is not wm-version related, but a Samsung issue somewhere. And i suspect their WM kernel (written by samsung) is pretty faulty, regarding memory management....

Guest Michael Pang
i won't cook in WM 6.1... stability is not wm-version related, but a Samsung issue somewhere. And i suspect their WM kernel (written by samsung) is pretty faulty, regarding memory management....

hi rodrigofd,

don't you know how to release more memory from the reserved memory? and any progress on 6.5.3?

Guest rodrigofd
hi rodrigofd,

don't you know how to release more memory from the reserved memory? and any progress on 6.5.3?

I'm on to that... all my efforts are to getting more available memory at the moment... And 6.5.3, basically works fine ;) . just that i can't stand so few RAM (BTW ... available ram issue is exactly te same in 6.5.x and 6.5, and 6.1) ..

The reserved memory size seems the same for all I8000 builds, .. Not to confuse with free memory in 6.1 roms, like recent khuanchai 6.1-lite, which gets more free ram because it uses less of the available memory, but reserved memory is almost exactly the same, in ALL ROMS at the time being...

Most likely it is not in EBOOT, but in kernel (XIP/NK.EXE)... so if something can be done, is patching NK.exe.... but very hard indeed ;)

Guest rodrigofd
hi rodrigofd,

I'm on to that... all my efforts are to getting more available memory at the moment... And 6.5.3, basically works fine ;) . just that i can't stand so few RAM (BTW ... available ram issue is exactly te same in 6.5.x and 6.5, and 6.1) ..

The reserved memory size seems the same for all I8000 builds, .. Not to confuse with free memory in 6.1 roms, like recent khuanchai 6.1-lite, which gets more free ram because it uses less of the available memory, but reserved memory is almost exactly the same, in ALL ROMS at the time being...

Most likely it is not in EBOOT, but in kernel (XIP/NK.EXE)... so if something can be done, is patching NK.exe.... but very hard indeed ;)

96 as a string twice. And the hex 60 about 2600 times But If one would calculate this in KB , 98304 KB this integer was not found in the file, But 100663296 or 6000000 in Hex was found at offset 5C2 , and only there, no where else in the file.

post-504326-1260972204_thumb.png

:( Is there some one willing to risk ;) bricking ;) their ;) device by having the value. ;) :( to 3000000 or 48MB :P

Edit: Um ok, So I forgot to turn a option on while searching, the 100663296 value is found 10 times. in total...

So thinking on from there, I searched 100000000 ( 5F5E100 in hex ) and Found that value only 1 time at 7DE78

post-504326-1260975837_thumb.png

Still I doubt 95,37 MB is the exact amount of reserved ram, It is not impossible though.

Ok lets see, 139,15MB total + 95,37MB = 234,52 MB

If I follow the Samsung RAM display with a total of 210,18 MB - 139,15 = 71,03 MB ( and there I can't find any thing of )

So I hope this puts some one on the right track.

I guess if we hit the right target it wil not bricking our devices, worst case should only be slower performance on heavy 3D apps....unless somehow it's hardoced into the 3D hardware that requires stock amount of RAM allocated into it to perform.

but who knows, lol, I'm not an expert in this matter...

Guest FerdiBorbon

GOOD LUCK man, hopefully you chefs find a solution, but i have to admit you guys have done alot already for the community ;)

Guest Michael Pang

how little is the ram available? 60-70M on reset?

don't you have release plan?

thanks for all your effort.

Guest Khuanchai

Yes, RFD is correct that the main advantage of ROM cooking right now is to get more storage NOT the free RAM. The major reason that most cooked ROMs have more free RAM than original one is we remove many Samsung programs that use a lot of memory, for ex, OnlineWidget, dialer, main menu, etc.

It would be great if someone can find the way to break this reserved memory limit. I think this will be very difficult though.

My past experience with Omnia and HTC devices, another way to gain more free RAM is by reducing the Pagepool size. Omnia 2 ROM has 20 MB pagepool size so in theory we can get a 151 MB total RAM (previously 139 MB) if we can reduce the pagepool to 8 MB. However, this is not the case because I have tried that but total RAM is still 139 MB. There may somewhere in the ROM that limits this expansion.

BTW, is the relocation tool ready for us to try?

PagePool RAM is not in that reserved 139mb. It's in available RAM. So, reducing PP size will give you more free RAM just the same way as you remove samsung apps and get more free RAM. 139mb of reserved RAM will stay the same.

Guest Khuanchai
PagePool RAM is not in that reserved 139mb. It's in available RAM. So, reducing PP size will give you more free RAM just the same way as you remove samsung apps and get more free RAM. 139mb of reserved RAM will stay the same.

This makes me confused. ;)

In my memory settings, it has

Total: 139.68 MB

In used: 52.37 MB

Free: 87.31 MB

I think this total 139.68 MB is the available memory, right? I undertood that if we reduce the pagepool size by 12 MB, we can have a total memory of 151 MB. Correct me if this is wrong.

Is this total memory the same as the reserved memory?

Guest rodrigofd
This makes me confused. ;)

In my memory settings, it has

Total: 139.68 MB

In used: 52.37 MB

Free: 87.31 MB

I think this total 139.68 MB is the available memory, right? I undertood that if we reduce the pagepool size by 12 MB, we can have a total memory of 151 MB. Correct me if this is wrong.

Is this total memory the same as the reserved memory?

HI Khuanchai... just logged in ...

let's see, i also tried changing to all different kind of pagepool values during my testings, from the very beginning... But basically, free ram variations are very little, and total informed ram is always the same (139), so as Sorg says, altering PP doesn't affect the reserved memory .

Memory reservation is indeed a very complex matter, but , if possible to do, would be a great achievement, specially if i want to advance in a more robust Sense 2.5 ROM.

I am working together with some experts in India and China, maybe they make the great discovery... Up to now, all clues point to the kernel process NK.EXE, which determines early at boot time, how much physical memory is allocateable (is that a word ? ;)) ... if the correct instruction in NK.EXE is found, and patched, we might increase this reservation. Even if that is done, we don't know for sure what would be such consequences, if any.

THAT SAID; i have a primitive idea : Khuanchai ROM has informed 139.68 of available memory.. and ALL my ROMs, inform 139.15, for some reason we have different values... SO .. if we compare my NK with Khuanchai one, we might have a good clue ;)....

Khuanchai , can you hand me the XIP partition you are working with ? ...

Last, rellocation is possible, but a little complex... I am willing to orientate you (to Khuanchai).. but i prefer another channel to do so..

Edited by rodrigofd

Guest Khuanchai
HI Khuanchai... just logged in ...

let's see, i also tried changing to all different kind of pagepool values during my testings, from the very beginning... But basically, free ram variations are very little, and total informed ram is always the same (139), so as Sorg says, altering PP doesn't affect the reserved memory .

Memory reservation is indeed a very complex matter, but , if possible to do, would be a great achievement, specially if i want to advance in a more robust Sense 2.5 ROM.

I am working together with some experts in India and China, maybe they make the great discovery... Up to now, all clues point to the kernel process NK.EXE, which determines early at boot time, how much physical memory is allocateable (is that a word ? ;)) ... if the correct instruction in NK.EXE is found, and patched, we might increase this reservation. Even if that is done, we don't know for sure what would be such consequences, if any.

THAT SAID; i have a primitive idea : Khuanchai ROM has informed 139.68 of available memory.. and ALL my ROMs, inform 139.15, for some reason we have different values... SO .. if we compare my NK with Khuanchai one, we might have a good clue ;)....

Khuanchai , can you hand me the XIP partition you are working with ? ...

Last, rellocation is possible, but a little complex... I am willing to orientate you (to Khuanchai).. but i prefer another channel to do so..

How can I extract the XIP part only for you? That's in the os.nb?

I'm using another PC and installing skype. Will contact with you there.

Guest mirek190

WM 6.5 has always 139.15 MB

but WM 6.1 has always 139.68 MB . ( even I change eboot or Phone )

I saw this one more than a month ago. I think you know about it. ;)