The "How To" guide

Guest ptruman

Guest ptruman

This post is (hopefully) a guide for how to root your phone, back it up, setup your SD card & install a custom ROM. It assumes you have a "stock", unrooted handset, and an SD card installed.

NOTE TO MODS : If you agree, please sticky this (and remove the line) - it may make for a few less "how do I..." threads ;)

NOTE 1: It may not be 100% correct - I've already partitioned my card, so I'm not 100% accurate on the Amon Ra partition step. Your mileage may vary.

NOTE 2: This page is for GSM Hero phones ONLY.

If you have a CDMA unit, then there are links on MOST of the pages linked below which will take you to CDMA specific downloads BUT I take no responsibility if it all goes pear shaped.

NOTE 3: READ this page. Properly. Don't skim it. READ IT. Also read the linked pages properly. Ensure you download the right files for your phone (i.e. GSM or CDMA etc etc - don't try to flash the wrong images ;)

NOTE 4: All information here is culled from the public domain. It's already out there. If something doesn't work, by all means comment and this post can hopefully be amended - but don't blame me when Google is out there and working ;)

DISCLAIMER : The info contained herein is correct AT TIME OF WRITING. Any links FROM this page may change/be removed etc etc at any time. You are responsible for what you do to your handset - if these instructions brick your handset, it's your problem. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Step One : Root In One Click

If you have Firmware 2.73.x.x. OR HIGHER, you MUST DOWNGRADE FIRST (this typically applies to Orange handsets)

To check your firmware, do the following :

• Start Settings
  • Click About Phone
  • Check the Build Version
    http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/ - and do what it tells you to do.
    (an alternate "Gold Card" set of instructions is here : http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-for-your-hero/)

If you do NOT need to downgrade, then visit this page and follow the instructions therein : http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...on-your-device/

NOTE : When the links above mention Amon Ra's image, their links may be out of date - use this one to be sure : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=561124

To test you have installed a recovery image correctly, do the following and get used to it - you'll be doing it a lot shortly.... :(
    • POWER OFF the phone
    • Hold down HOME and POWER
    • Your phone SHOULD now boot into Amon Ra's recovery image
    • Reboot your phone by using the trackball OR Vol-/Vol+ to select "Reboot System Now" and click the trackball OR press CALL ANSWER

Step Two : Get a Custom ROM :

Download the latest MoDaCo ROM from this page : http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ing-wavesecure/

NOTE : You are looking for the "Core Download" link.

I'd also recommend you add the WaveSecure and Enhanced packs. If you want more info on WaveSecure, go here.

Rename the "Core" zip file to "update1.zip" - this is for simplicity & identification later on when updating.
      Rename any other packs you choose to download to "update2.zip", "update3.zip" etc.

NOTE : As far as I know, MoDaCo is the only ROM to supply "add-on" packs.

Step Three : Backup your Phone

As you are shortly about to effectively "recreate" your phone, you should really back it up first, which you can now do, as the recovery image you installed earlier has a backup capability.
      • POWER OFF the phone
      • Select "Backup/Restore"
      • Select "Nand + Ext Backup"

Now return to the main menu using the BACK key and select "Reboot System Now"

Step Four : Backup your SD Card

That backup you just did is on your SD card, and to carry on properly, we'll be wiping it, so you need to ensure you "backup your backup" before you carry on :P
        • Connect your phone to your computer via USB, and enable USB mass storage
        • Copy ALL files from the phone to a new folder on your computer. This may take some time depending on how many files you have.
        • This will ensure you have backed up your phone (Step Three) and copied that backup to your computer.
          • Check for a folder called nandroid
          • Check the nandroid folder contains a folder beginning "HT"
          • Check the HT folder has a folder with the date/time of your backup as part of it's name
          • Check that last folder contains at least six .img files (boot, cache, data, misc, recovery, system)

Step Five : Partition your SD card

This is done now to setup your SD card so that your phone can move applications to the SD card, rather than phone internal storage, so you can install more stuff - and obviously AFTER you've backed it up :(
            • POWER OFF the phone
            • Select "Partition SD Card"
            • Select "Partition SD"
            • This should automatically partition your SD card for you.
            • Return to the main menu with the BACK key and "Reboot System Now"

Your phone should now prep the SD card automatically when it reboots.

Step Six : Get Ready To Flash

[*] Connect your phone to your computer via USB, and enable USB mass storage

[*] Copy ALL the update.zip files from Step 2, to your phone

Step Seven : Wipe all data

You are about to flash a custom ROM, which may (but not always) not agree with some data in the phone already.

[*]POWER OFF the phone

[*]Hold down HOME and POWER

[*]Your phone SHOULD now boot into Amon Ra's recovery image

[*]Select "Wipe"

[*]Select "Wipe data/factory reset"

[*]Confirm if asked

[*]Return to the main menu with the BACK key and "Reboot System Now"

Step Eight : Flash Custom ROM image(s)

[*]POWER OFF the phone

[*]Select "Flash zip from sdcard"

[*]Select "Update1.zip"

[*]Press HOME to confirm - and wait!

[*]When the flashing finishes, you should be asked to press HOME to reboot - do this.

Step Nine : WAIT

On INITIAL boot, some ROMs (like MoDaCo) will analyse the phone to see what's what. If you have correctly done the above, and partitioned the SD card, the phone will now be VERY BUSY, moving applications to the SD card, off the phone. This means binaries are being moved...

DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PHONE

DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY

I know it's exceedingly worrying watching an expensive device "sit there" and "do nothing" - but as long as you have had the initial "Hero" screen, and are now looking at the scrolling light "HTC" logo, you're probably fine.

If you're REALLY inquisitive, and still have the phone plugged in, AND used the MoDaCo method for rooting, then run this from your PC

adb-windows shell ps

You should get a list of processes back. Wait 30 seconds, and run it again. The list should be different.

Until you get a process which looks like this one :

zygote /bin/app_process -Xzygote /system/bin

...your phone IS NOT READY and will still look like it's sitting there. LEAVE IT ALONE.

NOTE : Some reports show initial boots as being up to 15-20 minutes.

Step Ten : Install other packs

If you downloaded optional add-on packs in Step Two, you can install them now, by re-following the instructions in Step Eight, but choosing update2.zip (etc etc) instead of update1.zip. Reboot (AND WAIT) after each pack is installed.

Once all packs are installed, or if you didn't want to install any, carry onto...

Step Eleven : Restore your SD card content

Once the phone is back and running, you can replace the SD card content.

[*]Connect your phone to your computer via USB, and enable USB mass storage

[*]Copy ALL files from the SD card folder on your computer (that you made in Step Four) back to your SD card.

[*]This may take some time depending on how many files you have.

Step Twelve : Enjoy your phone :(

Hopefully your phone is now running your chosen custom ROM happily, with apps coming from your SD card.

If you chose to use MoDaCo - why not thank Paul (the author) by donating? You really should also donate to Eric (who built the super fast kernel) by visiting his page here, and donating (his button is a form I can't easily steal a URL to!)

Rolling Back (if necessary)

If you want to roll back to your default ROM, do this :

[*]POWER OFF the phone

[*]Select "Backup/Restore"

[*]Select "Nand Restore"

That will not however, replace the default recovery image. To do that, you can download the updates from the HTC website and install those - however they may make it harder for you to re-root your device in future.

NOTE : If you got past step 4 above, but not as far as step 11, you will need to copy all your SD card files from your computer back to the SD card first, otherwise there will be nothing to restore!

Supplementals :

Updating The Radio

There are two schools of thought re: radio firmware - which differ :

1) Each radio firmware is specific to each ROM release, so you should have the specific radio version for your ROM release (or the ROM release it's based on)

2) Each radio firmware is likely to be an improvement on the last, so you should have the most recent one

All the (known) Hero radio firmwares are available here : http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ate-zip-format/

Flashing a radio is the same as flashing a ROM - download the .zip file and apply it via the Amon Ra recovery menu.

NOTE : When you flash/apply a radio ROM, the phone will reboot, and then display a screen which can scare some first time radio flashers - it's a picture of a handset, next to a box, with an arrow coming out of the box to the phone. This is normal. It'll go away within a minute or two, and then your phone will continue booting as normal. Let it finish! Do not pull the battery!

SSH

If you installed MoDaCo - access your phones command line using SSH by using the dropbear server thusly :

If you have your phone on WiFi, then download putty and setup a connection to your phone's IP on port 2222. If you don't know your phone's IP, download MyIP from the marketplace.

Login as root, with the password shown on your settings/about page - lo, you have shell access to your phone - and can do whatever you might need to do with a shell.

NOTE : If you don't know what to do with a shell, you're probably best leaving SSH alone :(

As a tip, if you download ConnectBot from the market, you can access your phone's shell at any time, direct from the phone itself.

Alternately, use adb-windows shell and you can get a command prompt that way too.

Edited by ptruman

Guest blackcoffee85

Fantastic guide!

I spent 4-6 hours of reading and watching videos to figure all of this out. After all, I didn't want to brick something that had cost me nearly £300.

This oughta help the new guys. We're not stupid, we're just cautious ;)

Guest stevenz

Good work. Should be stickied.

You might want to mention something about upgrading the radio and a big warning about the reboot process that it does with the box-with-the-arrow-pointing-to-the-phone icon on the screen.

Also using the "Data+Ext" backup is unnecessary and could cause problems as the card will either not _have_ an ext partition (backup will fail), or it'll be empty (won't achieve anything). Just a regular nandroid backup is fine.

I found a similar article on the xda-forums about doing the Goldcard that was a bit more compact, might be worthwhile tracking that one down as well, the Unlockr video is useful.

Nice job though!

Guest ptruman
Good work. Should be stickied.

You might want to mention something about upgrading the radio and a big warning about the reboot process that it does with the box-with-the-arrow-pointing-to-the-phone icon on the screen.

Also using the "Data+Ext" backup is unnecessary and could cause problems as the card will either not _have_ an ext partition (backup will fail), or it'll be empty (won't achieve anything). Just a regular nandroid backup is fine.

I found a similar article on the xda-forums about doing the Goldcard that was a bit more compact, might be worthwhile tracking that one down as well, the Unlockr video is useful.

Nice job though!

Done (radio comment).

I've left the ext bit in for now, as it may be fixed in a later Amon Ra release, and won't hurt if someone has (for some reason) a partitioned card.

Guest squirreleater
I posted the link here the other day... http://android.modaco.com/index.php?amp...t&p=1131762

Indeed, but a newbie would find this utter gibberish.

Unless you know, you wouldn't know what the # and $ mean?

Pasted from Amon thread.

Copy recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img to the root of your sdcard

Boot into your current custom recovery (boot while holding HOME)

Connect your Hero via usb to your pc/mac/...

adb shell

$su (not required if you have root already)

#mount -a

#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

Guest Dan Mullen
Indeed, but a newbie would find this utter gibberish.

Unless you know, you wouldn't know what the # and $ mean?

Pasted from Amon thread.

Copy recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img to the root of your sdcard

Boot into your current custom recovery (boot while holding HOME)

Connect your Hero via usb to your pc/mac/...

adb shell

$su (not required if you have root already)

#mount -a

#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

After you've entered 'adb shell', you'll be presented with the $ sign. After you've entered 'su', you'll be presented with the # sign. Surely those instructions are verbose enough for the newest of users? If not, the user should be reading up on the basics before buggering about flashing images as root!

Guest soopahfly

I've tried that above, but I get this error :

C:\adb\1.1-hero-recovery>adb-windows shell

adb server is out of date. killing...

* daemon started successfully *

/ # mount -a

mount -a

mount: mounting /system/modules/modules.cramfs on /system/modules failed: No such file or directory

mount: mounting /system/xbin/xbin.cramfs on /system/xbin failed: No such device

/ # flash_image_recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero.1.5.2.img

flash_image_recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero.1.5.2.img

/sbin/sh: flash_image_recovery: not found

/ #

Any ideas?

Guest ptruman
Nice.

Can you add how to upgrade to the latest Recovery Image? I'm struggling with that one.

I might add a note that it's exactly the same as how to install the first (hacked) recovery image - you just change the filename for whichever one you're downloading/installing now ;)

Guest ptruman
For some reason, copying the original instructions didn't want to work.

Ah - my bad, the script does the flash for you.

The answer a couple of posts up is correct - the $ & # signs are just the prompts (like C:\>) so you can ignore them and just type in anything after them.

Guest starfarer

+1. After much struggle, I managed this way. :

1)Get the file from here which is for v1.2.3 http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...on-your-device/ and save on C:\RA for easy command inputs.

2)Download the new v1.5.1 and extract/copy to above C:\RA folder.

3)Edit and save install-recovery-gsm-windows.bat file with notepad. Change version no to 1.5.1. Mine looks like this "adb-windows shell mount /sdcard

adb-windows push recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.1.img /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.1.img

adb-windows shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.1.img"

4)Connect your phone to computer with USB and wait until HTC sync shows "HTC Hero".

5)Boot your phone into previous recovery image as above instructions.

6)Open command prompt in windows (may need to run as administrator). Change directory to C:\RA and type command "install-recovery-gsm-windows.bat", Hit Enter. Operations are automatic. As I was already in bootloader in phone, I skipped first 2 lines of commands.

7)Restart.

I tried numerous times to do manually using adb-windows shell but to no success as was failing at some point . I was desperate for MCR rom so installled v1.2.3, learned quiet few things doing so. Tried again to update to new recovery image as above and was successful.

BTW a great thread and idea. Need to be in sticky section after clearing of all other replies.

When I was first starting, my reactions were WTF are adb's and where to type them ;)

Edited by starfarer

Guest ptruman

I think it might be a case of "a few guides" then, as this post is intended as a "from scratch" post, rather than a "if you've already rooted/fiddled recovery etc" ;)

Mind you, I think it's probably easier to just point people at the FlashRec package, as once they've *initially* rooted, they should (either way) be using an HBOOT which will let them install any recovery image and NOT stop FlashRec working - and that avoids command prompt issues for most ;)

Guest BigDave1234

Hello All and HELP,

Very helpful guide, however I have got to Step 8 copying the new rom to the Hero and after about 40 minutes it seems to be in a reboot loop. I get the Hero logo, the HTC gets lit up......then back to Hero again.

Running adb-windows shell ps i dont see any change, and zygote is present.

Can anyone advise me of the best next step??

*Edit paniced a little there ;0), i took out the sd card and removed the .apk i used to get the recovery rom on, then wiped the phone and the sd card and rebooted and all worked. phew

Edited by BigDave1234

Guest ptruman
Hello All and HELP,

Very helpful guide, however I have got to Step 8 copying the new rom to the Hero and after about 40 minutes it seems to be in a reboot loop. I get the Hero logo, the HTC gets lit up......then back to Hero again.

Running adb-windows shell ps i dont see any change, and zygote is present.

Can anyone advise me of the best next step??

*Edit paniced a little there ;0), i took out the sd card and removed the .apk i used to get the recovery rom on, then wiped the phone and the sd card and rebooted and all worked. phew

Some people (but not me) have reported removing the SD card seems to free a stuck boot - but it's odd why it does it for some people and not others! If zygote is running, then there is presumably something else "sticking" somewhere - but not sure what though (as I've not seen it).

Glad you're running though! If not, I'd have suggested going back to recovery and restoring your nandroid backup (it's why you take one in the first place!) ;)

Edited by ptruman

Guest Marcony0

so i used SSH . when i do ls i get this

# ls

mnt	 rights  tmp

#

and i did su before -.- .. how to get into system ?

one more thing, im curious why i cant lets say delete files from system folder using explorer such as "ES File Explorer " for instance.

Guest ptruman
so i used SSH . when i do ls i get this

# ls

mnt	 rights  tmp

#

and i did su before -.- .. how to get into system ?

one more thing, im curious why i cant lets say delete files from system folder using explorer such as "ES File Explorer " for instance.

Not wishing to sound nasty (which is not my intent) but that really sounds like you don't want to be messing around with the shell - as all you have there is a shell started (as it should be) in a root user (~) folder - and if you know Unix, you'd know how to navigate out.

And why would you want to delete system files? (but if the app doesn't start as root, you won't see all files/folders, or be able to delete them)

Guest Marcony0
Not wishing to sound nasty (which is not my intent) but that really sounds like you don't want to be messing around with the shell - as all you have there is a shell started (as it should be) in a root user (~) folder - and if you know Unix, you'd know how to navigate out.

And why would you want to delete system files? (but if the app doesn't start as root, you won't see all files/folders, or be able to delete them)

call me stupid , im using mint , but i have no idea why i cant get access to /

# ~

/data/local: permission denied
and i was using adb shell last time , i removed stacks n peep and launcher apks n some other apks. i mv them to a folder within system/app/backup .. im like removing it all that i dont use or dnt like or cloggs my phone * for me at least* . It's been working fine for past couple of days without some files and i want to remove them now .. i tried by the explorer it doesn't allow me. Tough would be possible, and now i wanted to try the ssh way ;) without a cable .. well.. these are my results. any sugestions ? or did i simply miss the simple thing :S EDIT : i did miss the simple thing -.-
cd /

Edited by Marcony0

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to modding phones like this, but your guide looks amazing and I'll be following it throughout today!

Just 1 thing, should

If you have Firmware 2.73.x.x. OR HIGHER, you MUST DOWNGRADE FIRST (this typically applies to Orange handsets)

To check your firmware, do the following :

• Start Settings
  • Click About Phone
  • Check the Kernel Version

not be "check the build number", instead of check the kernel version?

Guest ptruman
Hi, I'm new to modding phones like this, but your guide looks amazing and I'll be following it throughout today!

Just 1 thing, should

I shall check and update!