Proximity sensor

Guest saquib

Hi

Has anyone noticed a red flashing light on top right hand corner? mine flashes away madly, not sure this is a fault? Also look at it during a call.

Thanks.

Edited by saquib

Thanks for the reply, but battery is 95%.

Try this: make a call, then holding the phone away from your ear look at the top right hand corner, is there a red light flashing madly away? Put your finger over it and the screen will dim/go off.

Mine was flashing even when not on a call, this is probably to auto set the backlight, but should the flashing light be visible ?

Thanks.

Saquib

if the battery is low then it will flash..
Edited by saquib

Please, can some of other people try and post back their results. Need to know if mine is faulty and needs to be returned!

Couple of simple tests:

1 - turn on the phone from sleep and check if the red light flashes

2 - as explained earlier, make a call and holding the phone away from your ear, look at the top right hand corner. Is the red light flasing away ?

Thanks all!

Please, can some of other people try and post back their results. Need to know if mine is faulty and needs to be returned!

Couple of simple tests:

1 - turn on the phone from sleep and check if the red light flashes

2 - as explained earlier, make a call and holding the phone away from your ear, look at the top right hand corner. Is the red light flasing away ?

Thanks all!

1. nops not here

2. nops not that either

Thanks goa200. Note my title is probably incorrect, this is the proximity sensor I think not the light sensor. But the issue exists.

Anyone else ?

1. nops not here

2. nops not that either

Thanks goa200. Note my title is probably incorrect, this is the proximity sensor I think not the light sensor. But the issue exists.

Anyone else ?

the only red thing i've noticed was that during charge using using the socketbased charger the batteryicon went all red on me even though it wasn't fully charged. but switching to charging from my computer via usb worked atm. havnt happened since

the only red thing i've noticed was that during charge using using the socketbased charger the batteryicon went all red on me even though it wasn't fully charged. but switching to charging from my computer via usb worked atm. havnt happened since

Happens with mine.

Not to worry tho, seems not to be affecting device functions in anyway.

Not visible all the time tho. Only randomly, when on call, high or low battery, on hold, locked etc.

I cannot find any logical pattern to understand the meaning of this blinking red light.

I'm not returning my Liquid for this till I don't find any problem with it.

Guest three_pineapples

Fairly certain mine flashes when the phone is ringing but that is it...Though i have to be honest, i don't look at the phone once i answer ;)

Guest Pyrazol

Some people are misunderstanding...

Saquib is not talking about the three LEDs on the top.

On the upper right corner above the screen there is a barely visible light that flashes often. That's what we're talking about here.

So (@saquib: as I said on Android forums already, lol), the light on my phone continuously flashes. All the time, except when the screen is turned off. You can really barely see it. Turn off all the lights and look at your phone, then you might see it.

Guest three_pineapples

I am talking about the barely visible light too. Its red. It flashes when calls come in. It is just above the screen in the right corner. I believe it may be in the same location as the ambient light sensor?

Anyway, it is not on all the time on mine. It does flash when i hit the power button to wake up the screen. It is also visible as being on when charging, however i think this is due to bleed through from the charging LED on the top edge of the phone.

Just to make myself clear ;)

Guest Pyrazol

Okay.

Yeah, it's in the same spot as the light (or proximity, or both) sensor. If you point a light at your screen you can see a small "hole" there.

Well that's weird now. My light did flash all the time. I just called myself now and it did continue to flash, but when I ended the call, the flashing stopped. Now it only blinks at the "usual" times (i.e. when turning on the screen, when a call comes in, etc.). I don't know.

The light itself is not one of the sensors, yes?

I think there is a (software) bug where the proximity sensor does not turn off after a call. When it's working properly, it should only be on during a call. Noticed it sometimes it does not turn off after a call and carries on flashing. However, the next time you receive or make a call it seems to reset itself and turn off.

Okay.

Yeah, it's in the same spot as the light (or proximity, or both) sensor. If you point a light at your screen you can see a small "hole" there.

Well that's weird now. My light did flash all the time. I just called myself now and it did continue to flash, but when I ended the call, the flashing stopped. Now it only blinks at the "usual" times (i.e. when turning on the screen, when a call comes in, etc.). I don't know.

The light itself is not one of the sensors, yes?

the HERO does NOT have a proximity sensor

the light on the left is a ambient light sensor [adjusts brightness depending on surrounding light]

the light on the right is the led indicator [for battery low, full, charging etc]

I'm almost sure that this light/sensor is for the screen to dim. Try making a call and hold it against your ear. The phones screen will then dim. Then hold the phone away from your ear (during the call) and look at it. The screen will now light up. Then put your finger over the red light/sensor, the screen will them dim again to save battery when your not even looking at it, smart :)

Guest Pyrazol

Well yes, that is how a proximity sensor works. :) It turns off the screen during a call (more to avoid accidental inputs). We're not debating that. What we're wondering about is what that flashing light is, and when it's supposed to be flashing.

@saquib: So you do think that the light is part of the proximity sensor? In any case, what you say sounds plausible. I tested it again today: after one call, the light kept flashing. Then I placed another call and after I ended it, it stopped flashing. That does seem to be a bug.

Guest three_pineapples

if you can reproduce it then it must be a bug of sorts. But not everyone is experiencing it? What ROM version are you running (Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number)

Possibly could be an incompatibility with some other program running?

The red light is not in the same place as the ambient light sensor, but it is very close. Not sure about the proximity sensor (though one would assume this was the same as the light sensor..)

Guest McGilljam
if you can reproduce it then it must be a bug of sorts. But not everyone is experiencing it? What ROM version are you running (Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number)

Possibly could be an incompatibility with some other program running?

The red light is not in the same place as the ambient light sensor, but it is very close. Not sure about the proximity sensor (though one would assume this was the same as the light sensor..)

It sure happen to me yesterday.

The only way to make it stop flashing was a reboot. Then it behaved. So, it's a bug.

Guest three_pineapples

what build number is your phone? It could be the people experiencing the issue have an earlier build number and a new firmware/ROM would fix it (there are quite a few in one of the pinned threads on this forum).