FRING

Guest kubelka

Guest helikopter
Fring doesn't work over 3G on o2 for me. (only works on Wifi)

Anybody got it working yet ?

works for me on 3g network, too.

biggest advantage of fring over other im clients on android is that it's the only one which makes skype-out calls available (as far as i know).

Ive only got experience of it working on the G1, its been out for a few weeks now.

Its not bad, however it has bugs.

One major one is when it looses network connection, or switches from 3g to Wifi, it doesnt sign back in. Meaning that it sits there doing nothing.

Treat it like a beta and you'll be fine.

There is a feature request thread on the fring forums for android.

Cheers,

J

Guest le_lutin
Ive only got experience of it working on the G1, its been out for a few weeks now.

Its not bad, however it has bugs.

One major one is when it looses network connection, or switches from 3g to Wifi, it doesnt sign back in. Meaning that it sits there doing nothing.

Treat it like a beta and you'll be fine.

There is a feature request thread on the fring forums for android.

Cheers,

J

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know why there is no skype application for android (not skype lite!)? I can't understand why skype wouldn't want their app on android.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know why there is no skype application for android (not skype lite!)? I can't understand why skype wouldn't want their app on android.

Nope afraid I dont, there is a thread on the skype forums about it. They seem to have started work on it ages ago with skype lite then done nothing else to follow it up.

Thats the one app that i really want, FULL skype for android. At the moment fring is sort of filling the gap, given a few more releases it should be stable enough to use as a replacement.

Skype dropped the ball on this one, maybe with the growing popularity of Android it maybe that skype bring out a fully fledged app, but ive yet to see any indication of this.

J

Guest le_lutin
Nope afraid I dont, there is a thread on the skype forums about it. They seem to have started work on it ages ago with skype lite then done nothing else to follow it up.

Thats the one app that i really want, FULL skype for android. At the moment fring is sort of filling the gap, given a few more releases it should be stable enough to use as a replacement.

Skype dropped the ball on this one, maybe with the growing popularity of Android it maybe that skype bring out a fully fledged app, but ive yet to see any indication of this.

J

Developing the app is surely the easiest part of the whole thing. In fact skype lite would take a minimum amount of modification to make it work without making a local call first. I can't help but think that there must be a political reason for holding off. They're missing out on an awful lot of revenue by not having an android app. 

How is the sound quality for skype calls using fring? Last time I used it (on my nokia), i found that there was a bit of a delay. Are the calls routed through a fring proxy, or are they as direct as a full skype client would be?

Developing the app is surely the easiest part of the whole thing. In fact skype lite would take a minimum amount of modification to make it work without making a local call first. I can't help but think that there must be a political reason for holding off. They're missing out on an awful lot of revenue by not having an android app. 

How is the sound quality for skype calls using fring? Last time I used it (on my nokia), i found that there was a bit of a delay. Are the calls routed through a fring proxy, or are they as direct as a full skype client would be?

Sound quality is ok, however the delay is shocking.

Im not sure its that easier task, as its not just an app that pushes out to a normal phone number as skype lite does, it has to have full VOIP support.

Still they should have done it by now!

Guest flash2004

ok.. now it has started working.. If you login from wifi and then move out to 3G, it seems to stop working..

Restarted the phone , turned off wifi and then started fring.. This solved the issue..

ok.. now it has started working.. If you login from wifi and then move out to 3G, it seems to stop working..

Restarted the phone , turned off wifi and then started fring.. This solved the issue..

Another way may work for you, works on the G1, is when you swap from wifi to 3g, simply (in fring) press menu, then exit. Then start fring again.

It will login again, and you should be good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I have T-mob Pulse. And I have similar problem, i.e. Fring doesn't login when it is on 3G but works like a charm on wifi. I have tried restarting/exiting from menu and logging in 3G but still the same. I am on Tmobile network. Anyone else got it working? My ROM is original Tmobile with Dec update.

Thanks.