XDA UC is mostly unnecessary?

Guest eekul

Hey chefs

i dont understand why people insist on using the XDA UC Auto Install of cabs.

i have all my stuff installed to My Storage and have simply taken a copy of the start menu icons that they each create so when i flash to a new rom i just copy my start menu icons back into the appropriate folder and again have access to all my games/apps.

or am i missing something here?

no apps that ive been using sofar have needed any extra steps to get them working on a new rom again other than things like .NET or an install that needs links to your windows dir.

just wondering why people install their cabs again?

i can see the need if its a reg-tweak cab or something because obviously that would need to get done again but 95% of it seems unnecessary.

cheers

Hey chefs

i have all my stuff installed to My Storage and have simply taken a copy of the start menu icons that they each create so when i flash to a new rom i just copy my start menu icons back into the appropriate folder and again have access to all my games/apps.

no apps that ive been using sofar have needed any extra steps to get them working on a new rom again other than things like .NET or an install that needs links to your windows dir.

i can see the need if its a reg-tweak cab or something because obviously that would need to get done again but 95% of it seems unnecessary.

cheers

You are right, it seems that most programs should work if they don't write stuff to the registry. If we can have the equivalent of "portable" apps on Windows that run off thumbdrives, we can do away with reinstallations whenever we reflash our roms.

XDA UC is actually quite unobtrusive and you can be assured that programs will run 100% without errors. An added bonus that you can use it to add registry tweaks, splash screens etc. 

You are right, it seems that most programs should work if they don't write stuff to the registry. If we can have the equivalent of "portable" apps on Windows that run off thumbdrives, we can do away with reinstallations whenever we reflash our roms.

XDA UC is actually quite unobtrusive and you can be assured that programs will run 100% without errors. An added bonus that you can use it to add registry tweaks, splash screens etc. 

Yes I'am agree, I'm a french cooker and I'am working on a post flash customization package, as so my roms developpement will turn differently, I will only have to cook a Light rom ( I call it friendly a "Not-So-Lite") wich include my basic OEM light structure, In parralel, I creates cabs of customization for users, who have choice of titanium,M2D,Neo, and so on with apps and titanium plugins etc.

My actual main problem is the lack of progress bar in XDA_UC installation, wich is quite derouting for newbies.

My final goal is to propose a ALL in one customisation package with a graphical interface with choices of customisation that will work with all my builds in postflash.

That's a big project wich require a rwrite of the total XDA_UC scipt but I have the bases and the mortscript manual, so nothing impossible.

(never used mortscript and achieved a complete on the fly traduction of titanium weather with french desc of weather....so now I sew the power of mortscript+xdaUC)

Just need to be more user friendly than cooker friendly ;-)

Guest cruddasj
Hey chefs

cheers

The reason that XDA is cooked in is because even though you may drop the shortcuts into the start menu, most people wont! We try to make roms as user friendly as possible. From a cooks point of view, when XDA only uses about 100kb of storage space and allows for tweaking and users to easily install cabs, why leave it out? You may not understand why people insist on doing an auto install, but then i (i imagine along with many others) dont understand why you would insist on doing a manual install :s it just takes more time :s

Edited by cruddasj

The reason that XDA is cooked in is because even though you may drop the shortcuts into the start menu, most people wont! We try to make roms as user friendly as possible. From a cooks point of view, when XDA only uses about 100kb of storage space and allows for tweaking and users to easily install cabs, why leave it out? You may not understand why people insist on doing an auto install, but then i (i imagine along with many others) dont understand why you would insist on doing a manual install :s it just takes more time :s

Good points everyone cheers

i guess for me when i switch to a different Rom i always look around on the device to see what i might need to backup etc before i go to the new rom so im already in the windows dir so just copy my app shortcuts

but yahh i can see your point so might give it a go with all my apps next time i flash

cheers