HD2 on T-Mobile

Guest DavidC

Morning All,

This week I finally got an HD2 through T Mobile. So far I think it's a great phone but I'm mostly playing with it while I wait for my number to be ported from Vodafone. So for I have found a few issues and hope there are some solutions around.

1) I believe T-Mobile have removed the app for switching HSDPA On and Off. Is there any way to get this back as I'd like 3G without HSDPA for improved battery life? I've looked on XDA forum and only have an option to switch between GSM or CMDA which I think is limiting me to either 2G or full HSDPA, not a 3G only option.

2) The YouTube app is missing but I've followed the tips on XDA-Dev and have it now.

3) The T-Mobile Web'n'Walk branding of Opera is annoying as it always ask if I want to go online before connecting. It also won't allow me to change the start page from the T-Mobile Web'n'Walk page even though I've got the Home page set as Google in Opera's settings. I have tried to copy over BrandedBrowser.exe with the Operal.exe but the original file is protected.

4) The ROM's not as stable as I expected. I've had the HD2 hang on me a couple of times. I've done one hard reset and it has been better since then. I'm going to resist the temptation to flash the newer 1.48 ROM from HTC as I don't want to be voiding my T-Mobile warranty just yet.

Cheers,

DC

Number 3 is now solved. I must have had the browser running in the background when I tried to change it first time.

I have a feeling I may be sending the handset back to T-mobile though as the speaker crackles, even on the lowest volume.

Guest Neil5459

I'd send it back if the speaker crackles at low volumes. It seems that speaker crackles are commonplace with Snapdragon devices- not sure why but the TG01 was afflicted by it, and a lot of users have reported it with the HD2. Not noticed it myself on the HD2 buit it was bad on my TG01.

Re HSDPA- there will be very little hit on battery lfe with HSDPA on or off compared to 3G on or off. HSDPA is only active during the actual data transfer process. When quiescent it drops back to 3G anyway.

In fact recent ROMs have seen the battery hit between 3G and GSM reduce considerably. A good 3G signal actually uses less power than a good GSM signal, but a marginal signal will cause hunting between the protocols which is what impacts the battery. The more sensitive recent radios make the hunting less of a problem unless you are in a really weak area

That's interesting to know. I'll try a day with 3G on and a day with GSM only and see how the battery level compares at the end of the day.

As for the speaker, I'll be calling T-Mobile tomorrow to arrange an exchange ;)

I have more issues which I hope will be fixed in future ROM updates, but being a T-Mobile customer means I have to wait for T-Mobile to release their çustomised ROM'or void my warranty.

My replacement handset has just arrived this morning with less than a 24 hour turnaround from T-Mobile, so I'm quite impressed on that front. I'm giving it a big 1st charge before using it so I won't know until tonight if the speaker crackles on this one.

Update: Well it was all going so well. I've got the phone charged and set up as I like it. So far it hasn't hung or frozen once, but then I made a phone call and found the exact same issue with this 2nd handset. The earpiece speaker buzzes or resonates. Not permanently, but you get a fair few buzzes in each sentence, so it's hardly what you'd call intermittent :)

I guess I'll be calling T-Mob to arrange another exchange. Let's hope it's 3rd time lucky.

Edited by DavidC