i617/i616 WM 6.5 ROM Discovered!

Guest PrinceDwi

Guest chizo

Hi there, quick question. I'm all set and ready to install, but it looks like it has to be done on a computer running XP? Is that correct?

Guest CJ74753
Hi there, quick question. I'm all set and ready to install, but it looks like it has to be done on a computer running XP? Is that correct?

Yes, as far as I know none of the other Microsoft OSes will allow the USB driver to detect the phone correctly and allow you to upload the WM6.5 to the phone.

Guest ThiagoMagaMoc

Good morning, I'm from Brazil, updated my SGH-I617 a month ago and noticed that two keys do not work anymore: the key messages, and special characters "silent" (?, [,], (,)) . Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Sorry if the text is spelled wrong, I wrote it using the google translator.

Guest CJ74753

Everything seems to be working except battery issues...the phone will say the battery is fully charged but the led stays orange instead of turning yellow like usual, after about 10 to 15 minutes the meter shows the batter is down to 70% all of a sudden from 100%. I think I liked the original battery meter better since most of the other info shown on the battery page is unknown or 0

Guest frami

Hi,

I've unlocked Blackjack II with Win 6.1. I'm sceptical about updating it as I'm not sure if advantages of Win 6.5 will justify the risk of maybe failing the update and leave the phone useless afterward.

What are the main benefits of having Win 6.5 on the BJ II instead of BJ 6.1?

Regards,

Frank

Guest CJ74753
Hi,

I've unlocked Blackjack II with Win 6.1. I'm sceptical about updating it as I'm not sure if advantages of Win 6.5 will justify the risk of maybe failing the update and leave the phone useless afterward.

What are the main benefits of having Win 6.5 on the BJ II instead of BJ 6.1?

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

At this point I'm not really sure if it is even worth the upgrade. I installed WM 6.5 and I seemed to have less issues then some people have. The clock will NOT stay set or updated from your cell phone service provider, some how or another it keeps getting behind further and further as the day goes by, last I checked my phone was about 10 minutes behind the time it was supposed to be. You can change the time but it changes back to whatever time it wants to. The battery meter is not accurate, 10 minutes after being at 100% it goes to 70% then I have seen it at 50%, it is like the software is incapable of showing numbers like 99%-71%. It doesn't appear to have many advantages to me, I am thinking of going back to WM 6.1

Guest Sinjon

This is only somewhat related to this topic, but Samsung released a 6.1 maintenance upgrade for the i617... looks like it's a full flash. Not sure what if anything has been enhanced. It was released March 2, 2010:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/...amp;tab=support

EDIT: Wow! I joined in September '07 and just now made my first post. :-)

Edited by Sinjon

Guest BENiii
Well that sounds discouraging.

ater a hard reset (factory reset) it seems to be woring fine now.

I guess some of the setting changes messed it up. so ill just stick with the default settings for now.

Guest Sinjon
ater a hard reset (factory reset) it seems to be woring fine now.

I guess some of the setting changes messed it up. so ill just stick with the default settings for now.

Were you having problems with SMS or MMS?

Reason I ask, I've been unable to get MMS working with it, although all other features work (Internet, SMS, etc.).

EDIT:

Disregard... Once I correctly set up the MMS profile options, all is well. Go figure.

in case anyone needs them (for AT&T):

MMSC URL: http://mmsc.cingular.com/

PROXY: wireless.cingular.com

PORT: 80

Edited by Sinjon

Guest dsilver.us

A previous poster mentioned this was a "clean" ROM. So does that mean it comes without the AT&T branding garbage like MediaNet etc?

Guest frami
Hi Frank,

At this point I'm not really sure if it is even worth the upgrade. I installed WM 6.5 and I seemed to have less issues then some people have. The clock will NOT stay set or updated from your cell phone service provider, some how or another it keeps getting behind further and further as the day goes by, last I checked my phone was about 10 minutes behind the time it was supposed to be. You can change the time but it changes back to whatever time it wants to. The battery meter is not accurate, 10 minutes after being at 100% it goes to 70% then I have seen it at 50%, it is like the software is incapable of showing numbers like 99%-71%. It doesn't appear to have many advantages to me, I am thinking of going back to WM 6.1

I've decided to stick to Win Mobile 6.1. What has caused me most headache is internet browsing, was looking to the new IE version in 6.5. Have installed both Opera and Skyfire now and I'm happy with that applications.

Edited by frami

Guest Sinjon
A previous poster mentioned this was a "clean" ROM. So does that mean it comes without the AT&T branding garbage like MediaNet etc?

That is correct.

AT&T trash not included. <_<

Guest PrinceDwi
I also noticed I can't send or read SMS messages, which really bothers me.

O.o are you sure your apn settings are correct? I'm running it fine no issues..maybe a phone wipe might help.

Guest PrinceDwi
I've decided to stick to Win Mobile 6.1. What has caused me most headache is internet browsing, was looking to the new IE version in 6.5. Have installed both Opera and Skyfire now and I'm happy with that applications.

I noticed the phone operates a lot faster, and those browsers run absolutely fine. Im still looking for updates, so no worries, hopefully the clock issue will be addressed!

Guest xalias51

I gave the 6.5 a shot on my red BJII. I like it and it does seem faster but I went back to 6.1 also and installed the latest 6.1 maintenance release.

I found the clock issue to be too annoying to deal with all the time. If a new version comes out with the clock issue resolved, I'll be one of the first in line to install it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GFV919

Maybe its just me, but the link to the kitchen thing is NOT working at all!

Can someone please update it or something, I'm really trying to update my phone, but these links are not working, the files have been removed or something

Thanks in advance!

Guest GFV919

WOW!!! I finally figured out how to download!

Everything works great! I just hope the clock issue will be fixed soon!

Other that that, I doubt that I will go back to 6.1!

You can customize so much stuff now!

& not to mention I'm using this phone with T-Mo, so its great because all that AT&T stuff is gone!!

Thanks to everyone who helped to contribute to this ROM

Guest zj4x4
WOW!!! I finally figured out how to download!

Everything works great! I just hope the clock issue will be fixed soon!

Other that that, I doubt that I will go back to 6.1!

You can customize so much stuff now!

& not to mention I'm using this phone with T-Mo, so its great because all that AT&T stuff is gone!!

Thanks to everyone who helped to contribute to this ROM

Can you share what you did? Like other posters my Start Download button is disabled. When I boot the device to the USB Downloader screen the Image Downloader app shows:

[startDownload => 0] StartDownload !!

[-] Connect and Power-on the Device.

[-] Device Not Found.

I can see others that have hit this but haven't yet found a solution.

Guest zj4x4
Can you share what you did? Like other posters my Start Download button is disabled. When I boot the device to the USB Downloader screen the Image Downloader app shows:

[startDownload => 0] StartDownload !!

[-] Connect and Power-on the Device.

[-] Device Not Found.

I can see others that have hit this but haven't yet found a solution.

Ok, I figured it out. One of the ActiveSync exes was running. Check to make sure neither wcescomm.exe nor wcesmgr.exe are running in task manager. Once I killed that and rebooted the phone it worked right away.

Edited by zj4x4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...