[SOLVED]Updating WaveSecure

Guest shenye

Guest shenshang
Just wondering how to install the most recent version of WaveSecure without losing the old settings and make sure it can survive a wipe.

-Shen

Solved it now. If anyone wants to do it, just open the .RAR file in the link below and copy the .zip file to your SD ROOT and install via recovery menu. All your settings will NOT be wiped.

Enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/325378783/Wave..._.shenshang.rar (MD5: E200DB544AE2D5CD9B7DB522C3C40DC6)

Edited by shenshang

Just wondering how to install the most recent version of WaveSecure without losing the old settings and make sure it can survive a wipe.

-Shen

If you want to make sure it can survive a wipe, the app needs to be installed to the system partition. I'm going to presume you're running MCR (being as you're asking about withstanding a wipe).

Funny you mention this, as I just posted a 'How To' on xda-dev about this. See This page shows how I did it myself.

A little disclaimer though. I have installed WaveSecure using this method, and it works, but I have not actually tested that the settings survive a wipe. I think we may need some input from Paul if it does not work just now (as his MCR can supposedly do that).

BTW, only reason I say supposedly is that I don't feel like wiping just to find out. I know where WS stores its settings (/data/data/com.wsandroid/) so I may back that up and delete it and see what happens...

If you want to make sure it can survive a wipe, the app needs to be installed to the system partition. I'm going to presume you're running MCR (being as you're asking about withstanding a wipe).

Funny you mention this, as I just posted a 'How To' on xda-dev about this. See This page shows how I did it myself.

A little disclaimer though. I have installed WaveSecure using this method, and it works, but I have not actually tested that the settings survive a wipe. I think we may need some input from Paul if it does not work just now (as his MCR can supposedly do that).

BTW, only reason I say supposedly is that I don't feel like wiping just to find out. I know where WS stores its settings (/data/data/com.wsandroid/) so I may back that up and delete it and see what happens...

Update, sorry for the double post.

I can confirm that after deleting WaveSecure's settings, I went online and locked the phone, which it promptly did. Unlocking via the internet also worked fine.

Only thing was that on the first boot after deleting folder, the phone gave its little notification bar message welcoming you to WaveSecure (as it hadn't been set up)

The app also appears to have regenerated its data folder. Since there are very few settings, I don't know if they stayed or not, but everything I tested worked fine (I'm wondering if WaveSecure sends the settings to the device in this case. Just a thought). Certainly, the phone stayed associated with the account and didn't need re-registered.

Hope some of this makes sense (written as I test the device so may need clarification) and helps.

Merry Xmas :)

Cheers guys for the replies. I've solved it, if the rapidshare link above doesnt work, use this Megaupload mirror :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MNJPGWVF

Just a quick one. Looking at your update.zip reveals just the main apk file in /system/app. Since the MD5 of the apk matches the market one, I take it there is no advantage in using this update.zip if the manual method I 'cobbled together' works?

Just wondering, because I have been asked questions about this on xda, but an update.zip would be easier to point people to instead of those instructions.

Edited by pulser

Guest shenshang
Just a quick one. Looking at your update.zip reveals just the main apk file in /system/app. Since the MD5 of the apk matches the market one, I take it there is no advantage in using this update.zip if the manual method I 'cobbled together' works?

Just wondering, because I have been asked questions about this on xda, but an update.zip would be easier to point people to instead of those instructions.

no idea what you're asking, you want instructions on how to manually do it?

also, if you install the one off the market, it gets listed in your "my downloads" section and also it will be able to be uninstalled.

no idea what you're asking, you want instructions on how to manually do it?

also, if you install the one off the market, it gets listed in your "my downloads" section and also it will be able to be uninstalled.

No, sorry. Should have rephrased it better. I know how to do it manually, but was wondering (out of idle curiosity) how the mechanics of storing the settings through a wipe works. Being as it is not possible (as far as I know) to save this data to the system partition, I'm presuming it is something to do with downloading the settings again.

Either way, case closed, as I deliberately installed manually (just because I don't like doing something that I can't manually undo in future if needed.)

Merry Xmas :)

Guest shenshang

oh i have no idea, must ask Paul, he definitely knows. I think Wavesecure stores it in the core, or somewhere else that doesnt get wiped with a reset, like the recovery directory. Ive noticed that on first reboot of when wavesecure is installed via zip, it boots up the registration header and then loads your saved settings, so dunno if that helps figuring it out...

Guest shenshang
As I've gathered from using WaveSecure, it's data is taken from the phone's account information. It always reconnects properly after a wipe or re-flash.

nope, i put in a different sim after and it still remembered that its not my sim card after a wipe, i doubt its a downloaded setting. it is almost definitely stored in the core.

Guest LasVegas
nope, i put in a different sim after and it still remembered that its not my sim card after a wipe, i doubt its a downloaded setting. it is almost definitely stored in the core.

Yes. I mistyped. What I meant was information like the ESN# and other info that stays with the registered phone.

LasVegas

Guest shenshang
Yes. I mistyped. What I meant was information like the ESN# and other info that stays with the registered phone.

LasVegas

maybe, but i think wavesecure also survives a wipe. so it must be stored in an un-reset-able place.

maybe, but i think wavesecure also survives a wipe. so it must be stored in an un-reset-able place.

At a guess, I reckon it uses imei number to decide if the phone is registered. Merely since it cannot legally be changed and it is unique to the handset. So after a wipe, app (which was in system rom) calls home, and says 'its 351351........' here. Wavesecure then says 'lets check your settings. haven't been tampered with (ie wipe or delete of folder through adb), which fails, so new settings (inc. Lock state etc) are saved to the phone.

Just a guess at how I would program a similar system.

Guest shenshang
At a guess, I reckon it uses imei number to decide if the phone is registered. Merely since it cannot legally be changed and it is unique to the handset. So after a wipe, app (which was in system rom) calls home, and says 'its 351351........' here. Wavesecure then says 'lets check your settings. haven't been tampered with (ie wipe or delete of folder through adb), which fails, so new settings (inc. Lock state etc) are saved to the phone.

Just a guess at how I would program a similar system.

well when i did a reset, i had 3g and wifi off, the settings were still there

well when i did a reset, i had 3g and wifi off, the settings were still there

Wow. That's impressive! I guess it's best just to put this down to 'magic' and leave it be. It's evidently pretty clever to be able to do this! (Unless it is somehow able to disable the mobile network override, which I very much doubt...)

I guess only the developer will know this, and I doubt that they will tell us (for fear of someone finding a way round it)

Guest shenshang
Wow. That's impressive! I guess it's best just to put this down to 'magic' and leave it be. It's evidently pretty clever to be able to do this! (Unless it is somehow able to disable the mobile network override, which I very much doubt...)

I guess only the developer will know this, and I doubt that they will tell us (for fear of someone finding a way round it)

mmm, lets just leave the explanation to be "magic", the less we know the better. all we need to know is that it works :)

Not sure if I posted this already, but Wavesecure are going to directly host ZIP format updates for custom ROMs soon, I am providing them with my zip build script.

P

Guest phillevy
Not sure if I posted this already, but Wavesecure are going to directly host ZIP format updates for custom ROMs soon, I am providing them with my zip build script.

P

Any chance of an update from you in the meantime?

Guest Dan Mullen
Any chance of an update from you in the meantime?

This is the changelog for WaveSecure since Paul's update.zip:

v3.0.0.43

Dec 22, 2009

- Bug fix for app not showing up on phones with QVGA screens (HTC Tattoo)

v3.0.0.41

Dec 11, 2009

- Full support for Samsung Moment (Thanks Bill!)

- Fixed: notification shows up on every restart

- Minor bug fixes related to lock

I don't see any reason to rush with updating this - 3.0.0.40 works fine!

Guest phillevy
This is the changelog for WaveSecure since Paul's update.zip:

v3.0.0.43

Dec 22, 2009

- Bug fix for app not showing up on phones with QVGA screens (HTC Tattoo)

v3.0.0.41

Dec 11, 2009

- Full support for Samsung Moment (Thanks Bill!)

- Fixed: notification shows up on every restart

- Minor bug fixes related to lock

I don't see any reason to rush with updating this - 3.0.0.40 works fine!

As long as there are no other unmentioned bugfixes then I agree.

As long as there are no other unmentioned bugfixes then I agree.

Yes, there is little practical benefit as far as I can see from using both. If you are 'fussy' like me, and have to have the latest, then go ahead and use the new update.zip from shenshang, but otherwise, stick with Paul's one.

Obviously, Paul mentions that WS will be officially releasing update.zip files in future using his script, so this discussion will probably become redundant in future, when we can all get the latest update.zip from the dev.

Guest shenshang
I updated my WaveSecure addon (from Paul's thread) through the marketplace. Is my installation in the wrong place now?

Yes, it is no longer on the system directory so can be uninstalled

Guest shenshang
Ah, so it undid the ROM (?) installation? I guess I'll uninstall my current version (from system) and try the update.zip version from this thread.

uninstall wavesecure and install via my update.zip

your settings will be preserved.