[TUT] Samsung Today plugin - how to change content

Guest .:stn:.

Hi,

the method comes from this forum: forum.telefonino.net

and was posted by user: Ringhiox

So basically this is translated and corrected version. (Ther's a mistake in original content  which I had to discover to make it work)

In order to change content of samsung today plugin you need:

1. anything that edits .dll files e.g. look for PE Explorer (commercial)

2. MS visual basic ->   http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/default.aspx

3. this package http://www.mediafire.com/?q2nfiynzyiw

Install all software needed.

Swapping gfx

1.Open .dll file with PE explorer.

2.For changing pictures open TodayContainerRC.dll and choose "resources" icon from the icon bar.

3.Browse through pictures.. you can do some things rightclicking mouse button as "save as" - to edit & change or just swap resources.

When you're swapping a window opens which is divided into two Then you just gove tha path to the file that is to replace the original one.

4. After applying all changes Save with the same name. The program will autocreate samenamefile(1).bak - a kind of safety copy.

Remember to use graphics with the same size(dimentions) as original files.

Certyfying files

Now the file is ready but when  you look at certificates section in PE explorer, you'll se a red excamation mark. You can also see that the file size and certified size are diferent. We need to fix it.  

Wee need the other 2 programs. 

1. First copy content of the security.zip\security\sign\* to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools\Bin

2. Then open Security Configuration Manager, click File/Sign File/Normal Development Certificate

3. Browse for the file, remember to choose "see all files" (*.*) & choose your modified file

4. Click and observe the dos box, it should print a message it's certified. 

!!! if it shows you an error it's probably due the version mismatch. change the name of the folder Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 to whatever it reports in eror line. AFAIK it was Microsoft Visual Studio 8 that did the trick for me.

To make sure it's certified open it in PE explorer again and check the certificate, size should match and no exclamation mark should be present.

Phone swapping part

Now you're ready to swap files in your phone.

1. Change mode to "life". 

2. Swap file using Total Commander (copy it e.g from My storage directly to /Windows)

3. Change to "work" again.

4. Windows asks you whether use the file or not, choose yes.

Voilla!

It worked for me. It should work for you. Remember to backup! Ask if you're not sure!

ed:

Trying to work some more I found the place the plugin keeps the rest of gfx. So the full set of files for samsung toadys seems to be:

TodayContainer.dll.0409.mui 

TodayContainer.dll

TodayContainerRC.dll - usu. background gfx 

DefaultPlugIns.dll

DefaultPlugInsRC.dll - pictures gfx, widget's icons etc.

Ther's just one picutre when it comes to the soooo missed weather plugin, and a few weather widget icons. 

So it seems samsung had it just for showing and resigned halfway through.

So for compensating you the lack of W. plugin, a picture for you [;

post-614734-1262645172_thumb.png

my work over this plugin continues so stay tuned for more news

regards,

stn

Edited by .:stn:.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toppwill

Thanks for the work that you have put into this already stn, really pleased to get this going on my phone as is and happy to have the sense background until i have time to figure my own out :-)

Question for you: know how SS have set the sizes of each panel? I would love to make the Message panel smaller, for example, as I am sure it does not need to take up 1/3 of the screen aye ;-)

Are the settings in the dll?

(As an aside, it would also be great to configure the message panel to open the sms client that you want to use too)

i cant Certify my dll file, dont know what happen, it dint show a message it's certified.

any1 can help me? im using win7.

thera are some issues on 7 my friend reported me the same, I used XP

• 3 weeks later...
i reboot 3x :) (in winxp)

and in win7 Security Configuration Manager open and crash :T

did you do this?

!!! if it shows you an error it's probably due the version mismatch. change the name of the folder Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 to whatever it reports in eror line. AFAIK it was Microsoft Visual Studio 8 that did the trick for me.

otherwise you'll get an error

• 4 months later...
Guest Cisplatin

Finally, I found a simple, yet working tool for signing/writing certs. Free download link is here. Just select files and hit "start sign process" button. :lol:

Edited by Cisplatin