How to make the pulse's screen more responsive

Guest phucte

Guest topspinserve
As for the foil lining enhancing the touchscreen response, I am not at all surprised. This foil is acting as a "faraday cage" and therefore assisting to block out extraneous EMI from other sources, which could otherwise affect the sensitivity of the screen (as far as I can ascertain, that is). If you connect the foil lining to the 0v ground plane of the PCB - the USB socket housing will be soldered direct to the ground plane inside, so connect it to this, what is basically happening, is that all extraneous noise is being grounded by the foil lining, through the USB socket housing, to 0v rail (GND) inside, ergo the screen will have a cleaner input signal to work with (again, as far as I can ascertain, with the limited information I'm going on here).

I am facinated by Glossywhite's explanation. To demonstrate the effect, I tried some experiments:

1) resting the Pulse on big sheet of tin foil improves responsiveness2) resting Pulse on non conductor (stack of paper) does nothing3) resting Pulse on non conductor which then sits on tin foil (Pulse not in direct contact with foil) improves responsiveness. Conclusion: it is as Glossywhite says, to do with the shielding of the Pulse that improves responsiveness. I think Huawei should have made the unit with a metallic back rather than plastic.

Guest Casper-vH
One could always try lining the back cover with Silver loaded paint. I have a feeling you can buy aerosol cans of EMI screening paint...

Not aerosol, but this may work:

emi shielding paint

Sounds awesome. Also a good way of getting rid of T-Mobile branding :)

Anybody tried yet ;) ?

Guest glossywhite

What I did, was to get a sheet of aluminium foil, and I then laid two strips of gaffer tape onto it, to make a foil/fabric sandwich, then cut a sheet out inside the edges of the gaffer tape, so no bare foil is exposed. You need some insulation between the foil and the electronics, as some foil shorting the battery or any other circuitry could be disastrous. So, imagine I have an oblong of foil & gaffer sandwich, with two notches cut out - one top, one bottom, for the speaker and camera. The shield is in an "H" shape.

Next, I got two tabs of normal adhesive tape, and used them to anchor the sheet to the inside of the back cover, to stop it slipping (unlikely). Do not use thick foil or multiple layers of tape, as this will cause excessive pressure between the inside back of the phone and the back cover - just one layer of gaffer tape will do fine.

MAKE SURE THAT THE FOIL SIDE OF THE SANDWICH IS AGAINST THE COVER, AND NOT FACING THE ELECTRONICS!

Seems more responsive, but I'll report back soon, as this could be a placebo.

Guest vinnyjones

I've noticed serious improvement in touch screen responsiveness after removing the screen protector..

After removing it I can lay the pulse flat on a table and the touch screen still works... :-)

Guest topspinserve
I've noticed serious improvement in touch screen responsiveness after removing the screen protector..

After removing it I can lay the pulse flat on a table and the touch screen still works... :-)

Do you think that the screen is plastic or glass? I am trying to assess the likelihood of scratching it without the screen protector

Guest le_lutin
Do you think that the screen is plastic or glass? I am trying to assess the likelihood of scratching it without the screen protector

At this stage, I am almost positive it's glass. Try the unscientifc tooth test - lightly tap the screen against your tooth - feels like glass, right? Now tap the part of the phone that says "menu" (the lower centre button) - feels like plastic, no?

I have a screen protector, but I think i might take it off as I am pretty sure the screen is glass, even though I have seen reviews saying it's plastic.

Guest phucte

I highly recommend taking the stock screen protector off, making the phone much more fun/easy to use.

I think its glass but I can't be sure , I don't think anyone has cracked/broken their screen yet so..................

Guest Vibein

I am going to leave the screen protector on for now. A press on any side of the screen is harder with it in place and typing e.g. using the backspace key, but have found the sweet spot is further away from the edge of the screen to catch the key almost every time.

Edited by Vibein

Guest glossywhite
Have you guys emailed Huawei and asked them? I have spare screen protectors so I might take the original one off and stick a proper one on it.

I know of a perfect screen protector... it's called the screen. If the screen can't take a few knocks, then it's a pretty poor design. Capacitive screens are designed to have your fingers interacting with the substrate - the bare surface. What is supplied on the Pulse, is most likely a protective film, so your handset doesn't arrive with scratches and gouges from the handling in the factory, nothing more.

Screen protectors are a great way for companies to gouge silly money out of you, to exploit your fear of damage which is most probably far less likely to occur than they lead you to think, all for a sheet of adhesive-backed plastic. The whole point of a touchscreen device is for you touch the screen; the more layers you place between your fingers and the capacitive sensors, the less responsive the experience will be. If your screen is made of plastic, you have bought a rather rubbish handset - I cannot wait to upgrade to a "Milestone" (UK name for the "Droid"), which has "Gorilla Glass" made by Corning, which is virtually indestructible:

Gorilla Glass test

Having said that, I do love my Pulse - a fantastic entry into the Android experience, and I feel that the Droid will be a far more enjoyable and more up-to-date implementation of this wonderful platform.

Touch screen materials have far more scientific research put into their durability, than the vendor of little sheets of sticky-backed plastic put into their tat, I'll bet you on that!.

:)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest topspinserve

Following encouragement by various posters on this thread, I have gone ahead and removed the plastic film.

I am unable to decide if the screen is glass or very hard plastic. In either case, I think it would be resistant enough to scratches in routine use.

It is slightly more responsive now, with response at very light touch (finger tip touch), but I have not found (unlike others here) response with the unit laid on a table; it still requires me to hold it.

I made the decision to peel the film off as I am intending to keep the unit in the protective wallet when not in use and when in use, I am not likely to be using any sharp instruments (unlike in a resistive screen when I might use a stylus).

Guest Phil Brennan

Also, if you download the Spare Parts application from the Market, there are a few nice things in there to make your phone more responsive and to speed screen transitions up. It basically contains all the settings stuff that some phone makers leave off their Cupcake installs, including very specific battery and processor monitoring stuff.

Thanks goes to gbhil over at android central forums for turning me onto this little gem...

Phil.

Guest glossywhite

Bottom line is that the Pulse is a budget Android handset, and the small number of situations that show the lack of polish, are to be expected. Also, don't forget that Android is a relatively young platform, and for that fact alone, is doing remarkably well compared with the likes of Symbian & WinMo, who has had how many years & millions of dollars to fix themselves, and yet are trumped in the blink of an eye by Android.

Try the unscientifc tooth test - lightly tap the screen against your tooth - feels like glass, right? Now tap the part of the phone that says "menu" (the lower centre button) - feels like plastic, no?
B) B)

any chances for some photos of that unscientific test? ;)

InvisibleShield is coming for Pulse soon, I think I'm gonna grab that solution :)

(no, this is not an advertisement)

Guest Shuflie

It is glass, I did a slightly more scientific test. I took a needle and scraped it across part of the front of the phone (not directly over the screen just in case) heavily enough to break the needle, didn't leave the slightest impression on it.

Guest le_lutin
It is glass, I did a slightly more scientific test. I took a needle and scraped it across part of the front of the phone (not directly over the screen just in case) heavily enough to break the needle, didn't leave the slightest impression on it.

Great news. 

I took off my screen protector the other day (not the one that comes with the phone, the one I BOUGHT) and I'm happy enough. I do think that the screen is glass so it shouldn't scratch easily (I never have anything else in the same pocket as my phone).

Guest Calamity James

I can't believe I've been using my Pulse for a month without removing that cover, it's almost like a whole new phone with it removed!

When I first got the phone I thought it had a cover on it, but there was nothing in the manual or anything to suggest there was so I just left it on, what a fool I'd been, one of my only gripes with it was the responsiveness of the screen. I'd been using the TouchPal "phone emulator" style keyboard as the QWERTY one didn't sit right with me. It does now!! :)

Guest Sengadog
I saw the above post and thought I wonder if a small piece of foil would work so I added a piece of foil over the battery under the cover and this too has improved the touch response.
Edited by Sengadog

Guest BigBearMDC

Wouldn't it be much easier if u put a mettalic foil around the battery and connect it to the gnd pin of the battery socket?

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Guest Sengadog
Wouldn't it be much easier if u put a mettalic foil around the battery and connect it to the gnd pin of the battery socket?

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

Nope, I think my first method is easier. I've done the first options on both my pulses now and it has improved them both brilliantly. It only takes a couple of minutes to do also.

Guest Sengadog
I thought the clue was connecting the metal foil with the gnd of the device.

But if it works without that too its great :)

Greetings,

BigBearMDC

As its metal under the battery this may have something to do with it.