MCR with 2.73.405.66 is coming

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest teknologist

I don't understand why people say 1.91 is slower than 1.9 as it is the same kernel....

Maybe some app is killing your CPUs...

Also as I am on Xmas holidays my phone has been switching from HSDPA to EDGE and I do feel the phone is a bit sluggish (nothing unbearable though!) when in EDGE...and that might have something to do with google sync over EDGE killing the CPU for an extended period compared to HSDPA...just a thought here...

Anyway, if you guys think 1.91 is slower than 1.9 you could try decreasing ramzswap disksize_kb to the more conservative 80MB used in previous TCKs...Even though on my side, with the amount of apps I run on my phone, 128MB is a great setup...it might not be for everyone...

Last but not least, considering the amount of people using TCK 1.91, I just wish to say that the few people complaining about sluggish phone are still a very small minority...even if it sounds the opposite by reading forums...

I don't understand why people say 1.91 is slower than 1.9 as it is the same kernel....

Also as I am on Xmas holidays my phone has been switching from HSDPA to EDGE and I do feel the phone is a bit sluggish (nothing unbearable though!) when in EDGE...and that might have something to do with google sync over EDGE killing the CPU for an extended period compared to HSDPA...just a thought here...

Anyway, if you guys think 1.91 is slower than 1.9 you could try decreasing ramzswap disksize_kb to the more conservative 80MB used in previous TCKs...Even though on my side, with the amount of apps I run on my phone, 128MB is a great setup...it might not be for everyone...

Last but not least, considering the amount of people using TCK 1.91, I just wish to say that the few people complaining about sluggish phone are still a very small minority...even if it sounds the opposite by reading forums...

I use TCK 1.91 and it's great... Thank you :)

Guest stevenz

I'd be extremely surprised if HTC release any 2.x based ROMs for any of their phones before the Nexus One is released, doing so will encourage those few who "desperately need" 2.x to buy a Nexus rather than wait for the upgrade on their Hero. Even if that's not the plan, I'm sure they'd like the new phone to be even further up the "new-hotness" chart for a while. Google is probably throwing a lot of money their way.

I've had no problems with any HTC widgets (original or the new mostly-useless downloadable ones) on any of the MCR builds I've used. I have noticed the phone getting _very_ sluggish, but I couldn't say for sure if it's gotten any better/worse over the last couple of MCR/Tek revisions.

It'll be interesting to see how much (if at all) the 2.x ROM (kernel in particular) from HTC is optimised in comparison with the 1.5 one - if Tek's kernel is anything to go buy they could certainly stand to improve things even without any Apps2SD/CompCache/RamZswap etc. support.

Edited by stevenz

Guest Dan Mullen
I'd be extremely surprised if HTC release any 2.x based ROMs for any of their phones before the Nexus One is released, doing so will encourage those few who "desperately need" 2.x to buy a Nexus rather than wait for the upgrade on their Hero. Even if that's not the plan, I'm sure they'd like the new phone to be even further up the "new-hotness" chart for a while. Google is probably throwing a lot of money their way.

I've had no problems with any HTC widgets (original or the new mostly-useless downloadable ones) on any of the MCR builds I've used. I have noticed the phone getting _very_ sluggish, but I couldn't say for sure if it's gotten any better/worse over the last couple of MCR/Tek revisions.

It'll be interesting to see how much (if at all) the 2.x ROM (kernel in particular) from HTC is optimised in comparison with the 1.5 one - if Tek's kernel is anything to go buy they could certainly stand to improve things even without any Apps2SD/CompCache/RamZswap etc. support.

Haven't HTC already intimated that we'll see 2.1 sometime in January?

Guest stevenz
Haven't HTC already intimated that we'll see 2.1 sometime in January?

I don't believe they've said anything more specific than "early next year" in relation to the Sprint model (Sprint themselves have said 1st Quarter, or 1st Half, or something equally vague). I don't know that they've said anything specific for the GSM version other than "we're working on it", but it stands to reason that the 2 units being as similar as they are, 2.x for GSM would probably turn up at a similar time to the CDMA unless they're obligated differently.

Feel free to show otherwise if I've missed something though.

i am sure that 2.1 update for gsm hero wont come before release of nexus one. because there will be a lot of people who will buy nexus one to get official 2.1. so after that craze is finished then they will release 2.1 for other old phones.

last time in October when i said that 2.1 wont come out in 3-4 months many started screaming at me that htc is superb and they will give them 2.1 as Christmas gift. but u have to understand that above everything htc is a business company and their top most priority is profit not providing us software updates.

Guest Dan Mullen
i am sure that 2.1 update for gsm hero wont come before release of nexus one. because there will be a lot of people who will buy nexus one to get official 2.1. so after that craze is finished then they will release 2.1 for other old phones.

last time in October when i said that 2.1 wont come out in 3-4 months many started screaming at me that htc is superb and they will give them 2.1 as Christmas gift. but u have to understand that above everything htc is a business company and their top most priority is profit not providing us software updates.

I'll go on record and say that I'll be AMAZED if HTC don't release a 2.1 upgrade for the Hero before the Nexus One is available. There are other players in the market - it could take months before the Nexus One becomes available. In the meantime, people will look to buy other manufacturers' handsets that do offer Android 2. HTC won't needlessly hold off on this upgrade.

Guest Martyn.28

Hello and all the best in 2010 :)

just a quick note to say in using latest 1.91 and no issues here.

Looking forward to new MCR Paul and hey nice car (from pics on your profile)

Take care all , dont get 2 drunk ;)

Guest venturerider
seen on teknologist twitter : Waiting for Hero MCR 3.1? I'm going to use a new custom optimisation system for the build, hence the delay. It'll be worth!

ODEX files, perhaps?

Guest encrypt

I'm new to the android scene.

A quick question: I'm now using MCR 3.0... is it possible when 3.1 is out to upgrade without loose any apps/data or is a wipe needed?

Guest padstar
I'm new to the android scene.

A quick question: I'm now using MCR 3.0... is it possible when 3.1 is out to upgrade without loose any apps/data or is a wipe needed?

You shouldn't need to wipe between MCR 3.0 and 3.1. Just copy to your sd card and flash via recovery the usual way.

Guest encrypt
You shouldn't need to wipe between MCR 3.0 and 3.1. Just copy to your sd card and flash via recovery the usual way.

And i'm not going to lose any apps/configurations?

Guest Dan Mullen
I think there's a beta for ad-free/pro members of this forum, otherwise you'll be waiting a little longer :)

No, that's the T-Mobile Pulse ROM.