no google services with WiFi

Dear all,

I am using a G2 Touch with AmonRa's recovery image 1.5.2, MCR 3.0, TCK 1.9.1, and newest radio 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26. My network provider is TMobile Germany.

When working on mobile network (Edge/HSDPA) everything is working fine. I could register my google account (sync mails, calendars, and contacts), access the market and accept its terms and conditions, download apps.

When I switch on WiFi I am not able to use any(!!) google related services anymore. I CAN browse other web sites, download weather updates, connect to my company's Exchange server via IMAP - but everything that's got google in its name does not get any connection. I cannot even browse to google's web site with the browser.

When I tried HTC's 2.1 test rom (HERO21-Community 1.8) things were working both on wireless network and WiFi!

Does anybody has an idea what's going wrong? I really would like to sync or download apps over WiFi when at home...

Thanks and a Happy New Year to ya all!

reeja.

Edited by Guest

I have a similar problem with wifi myself on the Hero [it just doesn't work] and i'm using the same radio, rom and kernel as yourself.

Since I hardly ever use Wifi its not much of a issue for me.

Anyway, I believe it's most likely due to the Radio version, I think you should install the default Radio version [the one that came with your device].

Hi uk786,

thanks for your reply.

I am not sure about the radio version. When I realized that google services via WLAN are not working I restored the device by playing back the nandroid backup I took before flashing MCR 3.0. The error persists...

But I will try what you suggested nevertheless - sometimes there is no logic with computers.

Regards,

reeja.

I have a similar problem with wifi myself on the Hero [it just doesn't work] and i'm using the same radio, rom and kernel as yourself.

Since I hardly ever use Wifi its not much of a issue for me.

Anyway, I believe it's most likely due to the Radio version, I think you should install the default Radio version [the one that came with your device].

update:

tried different radios but to no avail. The problem still persists and it seems others do have similar problems.

Paul: can you advise?

Regards,

reeja.

Hi uk786,

thanks for your reply.

I am not sure about the radio version. When I realized that google services via WLAN are not working I restored the device by playing back the nandroid backup I took before flashing MCR 3.0. The error persists...

But I will try what you suggested nevertheless - sometimes there is no logic with computers.

Regards,

reeja.

Edited by Guest

What wifi router do you have?

I read a lot of threads on bad wifi in hero... And there is a chance that if you'll upgrade firmware of your router everything will work.

Another way that helps to some people is to try to add the mac of your hero to the router...

And another way - try to setup static ip , dns and gateway.. It helps for someone (but unfortunaly not for me)...

For sure there is a strange problem with firmware... If we could solve it it would be great!

may be there is a way to sniff packets and to see what's going on...

How can I install trace to my hero to trace the sites I can't open?

(I have Modaco 3)

I think I tried most of the stuff you mentioned before (static IP settings, different WLAN router: DLink and MSI, MAC addresses are set up in routers anyway since I have MAC filtering enabled by default).

Maybe I can nick some time to monitor network traffic from/to the Hero with a packet sniffer on a laptop in the same network, as you suggested. I do not think the problem is router based since with Android 2.1 WiFi is fully functional.

Regards and thanks for your inputs!

reeja.

Guest pulser
Dear all,

I am using a G2 Touch with AmonRa's recovery image 1.5.2, MCR 3.0, TCK 1.9.1, and newest radio 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26. My network provider is TMobile Germany.

When working on mobile network (Edge/HSDPA) everything is working fine. I could register my google account (sync mails, calendars, and contacts), access the market and accept its terms and conditions, download apps.

When I switch on WiFi I am not able to use any(!!) google related services anymore. I CAN browse other web sites, download weather updates, connect to my company's Exchange server via IMAP - but everything that's got google in its name does not get any connection. I cannot even browse to google's web site with the browser.

When I tried HTC's 2.1 test rom (HERO21-Community 1.8) things were working both on wireless network and WiFi!

Does anybody has an idea what's going wrong? I really would like to sync or download apps over WiFi when at home...

Thanks and a Happy New Year to ya all!

reeja.

I know someone with an Orange UK Hero, and he can't use Market on WiFI. As he only has 500MB/month allowance, he picks the things he wants in market, and gets ready to download them on 3G, then turns on WiFI and it downloads fine.

TBH, it's a hassle, and might not help you, since you even seem to be having trouble with even getting to google's site in the browser. I would just sit tight and wait for 2.1 to be Modaco'd by Paul and run that (since it's based on 2.1 and should hopefully fix it for you as the community test rom did)

@reeja your welcome, I also tried some different Radios [carefully] and no avail.

@pulser Yep that's exactly what I am planning on doing.090.gif

Edited by uk786

Guest freeasabeer

I also have this issue with my Hero.

What is sure is that it is related to the access point to which the connection is made: depending on the brand/model/firmware of the access point, I have rock solid connections or frequently disconnecting connections.

I have found a work around that works quite well: I have installed the "Wifi Fixer" application that runs in the background and reconnects as soon as it detects a loss of connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

an update on that issue again - hopefully you can provide me with some insights... :)

Last week I checked my DSL router setup and found an alarming number of firewall log entries: everytime I tried to contact google services with my Hero over WiFi (mail, maps, market) a bunch of TINY FRAGMENT ATTACKS had been blocked by the router's firewall. These events were 'targeted' to my Hero's IP address only and as far as I could discern IP addresses belong to google (I will post source IP addresses later on when I will be at home again).

I figured that the events most possibly were not real attacks, since they occured only when using the Hero and disabled the firewall temporarily. Connect to all google services over WiFi were working! :)

Well, obviously that's not an option at all. I configured the Hero's IP address into the router's DMZ. Theoratically that should expose the Hero to the internet, doesn't it? Switching the firewall on again the TINY FRAGMENT ATTACKS still persisted and though my Hero being in the DMZ no connections to google services over WiFi were possible.

Could anybody give me a hint how to configure the firewall to allow the Hero to talk with google? Why do I get these TINY FRAGMENT ATTACKS when trying to connect to google only?

Best regards

reeja.

Dear all,

an update on that issue again - hopefully you can provide me with some insights... :)

Last week I checked my DSL router setup and found an alarming number of firewall log entries: everytime I tried to contact google services with my Hero over WiFi (mail, maps, market) a bunch of TINY FRAGMENT ATTACKS had been blocked by the router's firewall. These events were 'targeted' to my Hero's IP address only and as far as I could discern IP addresses belong to google (I will post source IP addresses later on when I will be at home again).

I figured that the events most possibly were not real attacks, since they occured only when using the Hero and disabled the firewall temporarily. Connect to all google services over WiFi were working! :)

Well, obviously that's not an option at all. I configured the Hero's IP address into the router's DMZ. Theoratically that should expose the Hero to the internet, doesn't it? Switching the firewall on again the TINY FRAGMENT ATTACKS still persisted and though my Hero being in the DMZ no connections to google services over WiFi were possible.

Could anybody give me a hint how to configure the firewall to allow the Hero to talk with google? Why do I get these TINY FRAGMENT ATTACKS when trying to connect to google only?

Best regards

reeja.

To help you there, I think we'll need to know the model of the router you're using. The allegedly fragmented packets (as diagnosed by the router) seem a bit strange. I've never actually looked at it before, but I know plenty of people who use their phone on WiFI without making changes to their network.

This makes me think there is a strange compatibility issue going on with your phone and router. If you let us know the router model in use, maybe we can see if anyone else here can get a hold of one and try it on it (ie. if a friend has a similar one). I've not really used WiFI much on my G2 on T-Mobile UK since I get a 'soft' fair use policy of 3GB and I never really exceed around 1GB per month, so I don't bother with WiFI.

Worst comes to the worst, wait to mid-Feb and hopefully we'll have a stock HTC 2.1 out, and Paul and others will work their magic on it, giving us some nice update.zip that should fix the issues.

To help you there, I think we'll need to know the model of the router you're using. The allegedly fragmented packets (as diagnosed by the router) seem a bit strange.

Hi pulser,

I have an admittedly veteran MSI RG54GS router.

reeja.

the solution is found!

For all who have such problems with wifi!

1. Intall Better Terminal

then

2. ip link set tiwlan0 mtu 1300

OR

run

adb shell ip link set tiwlan0 mtu 1300

(sdk)

and that's it.

But the main problem is that this fix works untill reboot or new wifi connection.

Is there any way to run this command every time i connect to wifi network?