Hero brick?

Guest Bricker

Guest Bricker

Hello buddys

I'll be honest, I made a mistake upgrading the radio, I disconnected my hero on the "out of the box screen" and now it not start anymore, i tried every single button and every button combination without any resoult, just black/off screen, not vibrate, no light, not usb detection..

..I fear the worst but it there any way to "revive" my phone?

Guest Dan Mullen
Hello buddys

I'll be honest, I made a mistake upgrading the radio, I disconnected my hero on the "out of the box screen" and now it not start anymore, i tried every single button and every button combination without any resoult, just black/off screen, not vibrate, no light, not usb detection..

Sounds like you've probably tried it, but can't you get to the recovery menu again (HOME + POWER ON)?

Guest Bricker
Sounds like you've probably tried it, but can't you get to the recovery menu again (HOME + POWER ON)?

i can't get it :) any kinda response from the hero, just off

Guest omokas

Sorry but you can't fix your phone ;) Send it back to HTC or the shop you bought it from and tell them "I used the firmware updater from the HTC site and my laptop stuck so I had to reboot it and my phone wouldn't work anymore". This is the only way to get it repaired for free :)

Don't update the Radio ever! [no point really updated mine just reduced signal strength no high speed internet/HSUPA/HSDPA] so went back to original radio ROM. 021.gif

Guest pulser
Hello buddys

No access to fastboot/spl I presume (hold back and tap power)?

I've heard this is quite common (amongst those who pull battery during radio flash). As mentioned above, contact HTC support and DO NOT MENTION YOU DID THIS! Blame it on the update from their website. Get a good story together of what happened and how the laptop/PC froze and the mouse stopped moving etc. Left it for half an hour and still frozen, so rebooted and phone bricked.

That's probably your best bet, unless you fancy trying to figure out how to JTAG onto the board and hardware flash (don't think it's been done yet :) )

Unless... (just remembered something from xda-dev)

I currently have the same problem as you.

I get 3 vibrations when I press power and Hold vol down.

I was able to get it to boot by holding VOL DOWN + BACK button after powering it up.

Being as your phone is not working, it's worth a shot. Try holding those buttons down, just incase.

Guest pulser
What does Vol Down and Back do when you're not in dire straits?

Fingers crossed for you, Bricker btw.

Absolutely no idea to be totally honest. ;)

Just thought it was better to give it a shot than not (phone being bricked etc.)

I think that combination only helps when in ARM9 mode, and you can get vibrations from the device in the circumstances you would be in.

So sorry, can't answer your question and don't really feel like risking it to find out :)

Guest Bricker

I've heard this is quite common (amongst those who pull battery during radio flash). As mentioned above, contact HTC support and DO NOT MENTION YOU DID THIS! Blame it on the update from their website. Get a good story together of what happened and how the laptop/PC froze and the mouse stopped moving etc. Left it for half an hour and still frozen, so rebooted and phone bricked.

That's probably your best bet, unless you fancy trying to figure out how to JTAG onto the board and hardware flash (don't think it's been done yet B) )

Being as your phone is not working, it's worth a shot. Try holding those buttons down, just incase.

Hi Pulser, thanks for you reply :)

I wonder if this is a hardware problem or a software problem, i mean..is there anyway to detect the problem at htc support? is there any way to repair my problem and see a custom radio, a custom kernel and a custom rom?

Edit: you meant Hold Back (back arrow) button and Power/call button at same time? I tried and nothing

Edited by Bricker

That's probably your best bet, unless you fancy trying to figure out how to JTAG onto the board and hardware flash (don't think it's been done yet :) )

Would it be a problem in getting help from HTC support if your phone is unlocked? because im pretty sure i will not receive help from telus since I have a telus htc hero unlocked and currently using it on Rogers. Im asking for future reference because im looking into rooting my phone some day.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cassidy James
Try removing your battery for 24 hours+ and then restarting. It has worked for some in the past.

Cheers

D

Has this helped anyone? I have the same problem and was going to take attempt to get my phone replaced tomorrow.

Guest FurryPotato
Has this helped anyone? I have the same problem and was going to take attempt to get my phone replaced tomorrow.

I bricked my T-Mobile G2 by pulling battery like you (The radio flashing instrctions are to vague)

I retuned it to TMobile and they fixed it under warranty. The repair receipt said they replaced the whole mainboard. I simply told them it died on me with no explenation.

Good luck.

You could try the RUU that comes from your provider. If that sees your phone it will wipe all the settings off and revert the radio, SPL and system to factory settings.

Of course, if this doesn't work you can send it back as the phone is defective. If your service provider can't recover it, then they will have to repair/replace the phone.